Apr 21, 2011, 4:07 PM EDT
Richie Whitt of the Dallas Observer isn’t backing down from his belief that Colby Lewis was wrong to leave the Rangers in order to be with his wife for the birth of his daughter. Indeed, he’s doubling down:
Because, honestly, I don’t care if Lewis is a good dad. If I wanted to root for a team of great role models, I’d renew my season tickets to watch the deacons at my Sunday church. I want — always have, always will — the Rangers to win. And Lewis helps that cause not by being a good parent, but rather a good pitcher.
I’ve immersed myself in baseball more than anyone I know, and I still cannot — not for the life of me — understand the mindset that players owe us a damn thing or that they should care more about their jobs as professional athletes than any of use care about our own jobs. Jobs that, in almost every instance, we wouldn’t place over and above our own families.
But hey, to each their own.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 38
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 27
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 45
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 49
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 137
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 91
- The Lester trade is a win-win 113
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (201)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (137)
- Tampa Bay news station tweets classless Detroit joke following David Price trade (128)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)