That Richie Whitt guy isn’t backing off his stance on Colby Lewis witnessing the birth of his child

Apr 21, 2011, 4:07 PM EDT

Colby Lewis

Richie Whitt of the Dallas Observer isn’t backing down from his belief that Colby Lewis was wrong to leave the Rangers in order to be with his wife for the birth of his daughter. Indeed, he’s doubling down:

Because, honestly, I don’t care if Lewis is a good dad. If I wanted to root for a team of great role models, I’d renew my season tickets to watch the deacons at my Sunday church. I want — always have, always will — the Rangers to win. And Lewis helps that cause not by being a good parent, but rather a good pitcher.

I’ve immersed myself in baseball more than anyone I know, and I still cannot — not for the life of me — understand the mindset that players owe us a damn thing or that they should care more about their jobs as professional athletes than any of use care about our own jobs. Jobs that, in almost every instance, we wouldn’t place over and above our own families.

But hey, to each their own.

1. spudchukar - Apr 21, 2011 at 4:12 PM

Societies evolve, unfortunately many individuals do not.

2. trevorb06 - Apr 21, 2011 at 4:17 PM

It’d be one thing if he was an emergency nuclear engineer and his job involved making sure there wasn’t a reactor meltdown on the EXACT same day his child were to be born and he was the only one who could stop it before it killed millions of people… but he’s just throwing a ball to a man while another man swings a stick at it. Not the end of the world if he misses a day to witness his child being born.

• heynerdlinger - Apr 21, 2011 at 4:24 PM

Not to mention that the worst thing he did to the Rangers was screw up the rotation for a week. In April, no less.

I think I’ve seen rainouts cause more havoc than Lewis missing a start.

3. CJ - Apr 21, 2011 at 4:21 PM

He needs to do us all a favor and be like Colby.

Get. A. %$#@ing. Life.

• Utley's Hair - Apr 21, 2011 at 4:23 PM

Hopefully that doesn’t include bestowing his enlightenment on impressionable youth.

4. Utley's Hair - Apr 21, 2011 at 4:25 PM

If he’s not backing down from his stance, neither will I. Richie Witt is a chipwich eating douchenozzle. (With nods to Heyward and BC.)

5. Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Apr 21, 2011 at 4:26 PM

That’s it. This douchenozzle made my list of 2011 douchenozzles. This is an extremely difficult list to make, mind you. Congrats to you Richie (who I never heard of until yesterday) you are douchenozzle number five!

• trevorb06 - Apr 21, 2011 at 5:17 PM

Is Fiorientino on this list?

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Apr 22, 2011 at 9:44 AM

Fiorentino is good in my book. Especially in 2011. It will take a lot of egregious acts for him to make this list.

6. mcs7584 - Apr 21, 2011 at 4:29 PM

From looking at its website, the Dallas Observer is hardly a legitimate news source. Just as Richie Whitt is hardly a legitimate human being. I wouldn’t take what either have to say all too seriously.

7. skerney - Apr 21, 2011 at 4:30 PM

Does Whitt have a wife and children? If he has a wife i’d like to be in the room when he has the conversation “Yeah honey, i know you’ve put a full 9 into this pregnancy, but it’s early april and the Angels are a game up. You know how how it is. Text me when the baby is here and I’ll check my phone in between innings.”

8. saucepaws - Apr 21, 2011 at 4:36 PM

You’re right Craig, the players owe us nothing. This guy needs to check himself before he…umm, well, I guess it’s too late for that.

The one positive to come out of these ridiculous columns written by this “douchenozzle” is the acknowledgement and discussion of players who ARE good parents and DO have their priorities straight. Hopefully the Rangers, and the rest of the players in league realize this guy is “shock jock” and give him nothing but the cold shoulder when he’s lurking around for post-game quotes.

9. cur68 - Apr 21, 2011 at 4:44 PM

Man, when baseball becomes this important to you I think you haven’t done anything with your life. But, I’ll tell you what Mr. Naive here thinks; Whitt doesn’t believe a word of what he’s saying. He’s doing it for the notoriety. Since its really no harm to anyone but himself, he can go pound sand for all I care, no one is going to care a fig about him in a week or so. It’s not like he’s that dumba$$ John Steigerwald who might get someone else harmed with his brand of bull. In the end Lewis got to see his little girl born and many other ballplayers will be there for their kids too; this idjit isn’t going to change that.

10. Utley's Hair - Apr 21, 2011 at 4:50 PM

The title of the article says that he’s been a fan since birth. So he was born. Did he have a father there (in the waiting room back then)? If so, was it during his father’s working hours?

• sknut - Apr 21, 2011 at 5:13 PM

When he was ‘born’ did he demand his mom drive him to the stadium, no use staying in the hospital when a good game is on.

11. spudchukar - Apr 21, 2011 at 5:36 PM

As William Goldman wrote for the screenplay, “Ghosts in the Darkness”, referring to the Michael Douglas character, the guide into Lion country said, “I don’t believe you had a mother.”

12. tolbuck - Apr 21, 2011 at 5:45 PM

I believe this is the height of selfishness. A player must miss the birth of his child so my team has a better chance of winning. How does anyone make such a demand?

13. nyyfaninbama - Apr 21, 2011 at 5:46 PM

I disagree with the comment, “the players owe us nothing.” They owe us fans one thing – to play hard every time they take the field. And if they can’t do that they shouldn’t take the field. Colby Lewis didn’t take the field so he could attend the birth of his child. If he had made the start would he have been able to pitch effectively or would he have been distracted? He fulfilled his obligation to Ranger fans by not taking the field at a time when he probably wouldn’t have been at his best.

14. Senor Cardgage - Apr 21, 2011 at 5:59 PM

I wonder if he would have even mentioned it if the Rangers had won the game that Colby missed (which they very nearly did).

15. tomemos - Apr 21, 2011 at 6:31 PM

Can we also get a moratorium on the “here’s the most immature things people said about me” trick? Yes, people on the Internet called you rude names; what a shocker. Don’t use that to undermine the credibility of the perfectly sensible people who calmly and thoroughly stated how wrong you were.

16. norfva - Apr 21, 2011 at 6:33 PM

There is not much to say about this guy except that he is either an idiot a spoiled little brat or both you can have your pick

17. chedberg - Apr 21, 2011 at 7:29 PM

And the degradation of our society continues.

18. greggowilliams - Apr 21, 2011 at 7:55 PM

I live in the Dallas area and read this guys blog daily. He says thing just to get a rise (ie – page views) out of people. Then he goes on his radio show and insults his readers who leave comments on the blog. The guy is also a hypocrite – he took a few days off a couple of months ago to get hair plugs. I’m not even kidding about that.

19. The Common Man/www.platoonadvantage.com - Apr 21, 2011 at 8:34 PM

“Hey Colby, your wife’s on the phone. She says ‘it’s a girl and to pitch Magglio down and away!’ Now get back out there!”

20. jetersusedjersey - Apr 21, 2011 at 10:03 PM

I used to listen to this guy all the time (the only sports radio I could tune into). He is a complete doucher. He bashes poeple who he feels are racist or homophobic, but then he does a “spot” were he calls poeple “guilties” based on there name. It is almost always Arabic or Ethnic names. He is a loud mouth, a jerk, hypocite, and a elitist. He’s human garbage.

21. greggowilliams - Apr 21, 2011 at 11:15 PM

The hypocrite was just on local news and said that he’d miss a day of work if he were to have a child. This dude’s a loser. A nobody.

22. gt929 - Apr 21, 2011 at 11:56 PM

I wish his wife would have a kid every 5 days, cuz he ain’t pitching worth a crap.

23. thebrettman - Apr 22, 2011 at 12:42 AM

Craig, why do you continue to fall for this man’s ploy? It’s clear he can’t draw hits with thoughtful pieces, so must instead resort to “shock” writing. The guy is a joke, end of story. Move along.

24. huskerguy - Apr 22, 2011 at 8:39 AM

15 minutes done…. now.

Next column.

25. Detroit Michael - Apr 22, 2011 at 8:49 AM

I wonder if this writer has ever argued that players shouldn’t take performance-enhancing drugs because cheating would set up an immoral example for the rest of society. If so, that strikes me as pretty inconsistent.

Will Stanton worry about future beanings?
  1. G. Stanton (3488)