Apr 21, 2011, 4:07 PM EDT
Richie Whitt of the Dallas Observer isn’t backing down from his belief that Colby Lewis was wrong to leave the Rangers in order to be with his wife for the birth of his daughter. Indeed, he’s doubling down:
Because, honestly, I don’t care if Lewis is a good dad. If I wanted to root for a team of great role models, I’d renew my season tickets to watch the deacons at my Sunday church. I want — always have, always will — the Rangers to win. And Lewis helps that cause not by being a good parent, but rather a good pitcher.
I’ve immersed myself in baseball more than anyone I know, and I still cannot — not for the life of me — understand the mindset that players owe us a damn thing or that they should care more about their jobs as professional athletes than any of use care about our own jobs. Jobs that, in almost every instance, we wouldn’t place over and above our own families.
But hey, to each their own.
- Playoff Reset: The National League Wild Card Game 4
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 3
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 16
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 50
- Josh Hamilton declares himself ready for the ALDS 3
- Wild Card Game: A’s vs. Royals lineups 14
- Pouliot’s 2014 National League awards picks 22
- HBT Daily: A’s vs. Royals. Jon Lester vs. Big Game James. WHO YA GOT?! 12
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)