Apr 21, 2011, 12:00 PM EDT
While I’m sort of blah on the idea of advertising taking up every available inch in ballparks these days, I realize why that’s the case and that there’s not a heck of a lot that can be done about it.
So hey, if it’s going to happen anyway, we may as try to have fun with it, right? I think the Padres have done that by attaching an 80-foot model of a TaylorMade golf club to the right-field foul pole at Petco Park.
The structure, which is the first of its kind in Major League Baseball, weighs 950 pounds and the process of installation started on Monday and finished Wednesday with a total of 250 man hours needed to complete the project .. The shaft and grip of the R11 driver will run parallel to the existing foul pole. A 14-foot-wide by eight-foot-tall image of the R11’s white head will be displayed on the outfield wall.
I think the description of it makes it sound cooler than it actually is (click through for a larger image of it), but at least give everyone points for creativity.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 10
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 63
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 12
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 111
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 57
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (111)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (88)