Apr 21, 2011, 12:00 PM EDT
While I’m sort of blah on the idea of advertising taking up every available inch in ballparks these days, I realize why that’s the case and that there’s not a heck of a lot that can be done about it.
So hey, if it’s going to happen anyway, we may as try to have fun with it, right? I think the Padres have done that by attaching an 80-foot model of a TaylorMade golf club to the right-field foul pole at Petco Park.
The structure, which is the first of its kind in Major League Baseball, weighs 950 pounds and the process of installation started on Monday and finished Wednesday with a total of 250 man hours needed to complete the project .. The shaft and grip of the R11 driver will run parallel to the existing foul pole. A 14-foot-wide by eight-foot-tall image of the R11′s white head will be displayed on the outfield wall.
I think the description of it makes it sound cooler than it actually is (click through for a larger image of it), but at least give everyone points for creativity.
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 16
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 11
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 182
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 21
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 34
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 19
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry 87
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (183)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)