Apr 22, 2011, 9:40 PM EDT
UPDATE: Marlins win 4-1. Sanchez ends up with a complete-game one-hitter.
9:35 PM: So much for that. Dexter Fowler just broke up the no-no with a leadoff single in the ninth. It bounced just beyond Omar Infante‘s glove into right field. Is Edwin Rodriguez going to pull him now?
9:26 PM: Sanchez has made it through eight innings with the no-hitter intact. He got Ty Wigginton to fly out to center, Chris Iannetta to strike out and pinch-hitter Jose Lopez on a soft liner to second base. He’s now at 115 pitches. Three more outs to go.
9:12 PM: You might want to turn on your television. Or your mobile device. We’re in the future, you know?
Anibal Sanchez hasn’t allowed a hit over the first seven innings of tonight’s game against the Rockies. However, the Rockies did score a run in the first inning on a fielding error by first baseman Gaby Sanchez. The Marlins currently lead 4-1.
Sanchez has struck out eight and walked three. He’s currently at 102 pitches through seven innings. Of course, Sanchez previously pitched a no-hitter in his 14th major league start back on September 6, 2006 against the Diamondbacks. He needed 103 pitches to complete that one.
Stay tuned to see if Sanchez can toss the first no-no of the 2011 season.
Note: MLB.com has a free preview of MLB.tv tonight, so you can track Sanchez’s progress there.
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 7
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 126
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 19
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 34
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 32
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 19
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry 87
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 30
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (134)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)