Apr 22, 2011, 10:15 AM EDT
Nyjer Morgan was off to a great start in Milwaukee, hitting .455 in 27 plate appearances as a part-time player, but now he’s headed for the disabled list with a deep thigh bruise suffered in collision at the plate with Pirates catcher Ryan Doumit.
Brandon Boggs, who last saw extended action in the majors with the Rangers as a 25-year-old rookie in 2008, will be called up from Triple-A to replace Morgan on the roster.
Much of Morgan’s game is based on speed, so a deep thigh bruise could be tougher for him to come back from quickly than other players, although if it keeps him from attempting as many ill-advised stolen bases once he does return the injury might not be such a terrible thing.
- Miguel Cabrera ties Hank Greenberg with 331st career homer 7
- Bud Selig’s view on replay has “evolved” 13
- Umpires use replay on controversial Matt Joyce home run 12
- Rangers put Ian Kinsler on the 15-day disabled list and call up top prospect Jurickson Profar 6
- Carlos Ruiz leaves game with strained right hamstring 2
- PBT: Parker carves up Grizzlies as Spurs roll in Gm. 1
- PHT: Senators sneak past Penguins in two overtimes
- PHT: Bruins crack Lundqvist, hammer Rangers
- MST: No bumping on Bump Day at Indy 500
- PST: Arsenal grabs Champions League spot
- Ferguson's managerial career ends with 5-5 draw
- Moore stays unbeaten as Rays top Orioles