Apr 22, 2011, 10:15 AM EDT
Nyjer Morgan was off to a great start in Milwaukee, hitting .455 in 27 plate appearances as a part-time player, but now he’s headed for the disabled list with a deep thigh bruise suffered in collision at the plate with Pirates catcher Ryan Doumit.
Brandon Boggs, who last saw extended action in the majors with the Rangers as a 25-year-old rookie in 2008, will be called up from Triple-A to replace Morgan on the roster.
Much of Morgan’s game is based on speed, so a deep thigh bruise could be tougher for him to come back from quickly than other players, although if it keeps him from attempting as many ill-advised stolen bases once he does return the injury might not be such a terrible thing.
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 34
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 38
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 15
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 77
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 10
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 40
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 80
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 78
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (212)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (199)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)