Brian McRae arrested for his third DUI

Apr 22, 2011, 11:32 AM EDT

Brian McRae mugshot

Nowhere near the ink that Mike Leake is getting will be given to this, but it’s way sadder and way more dangerous:

Former Royals outfielder Brian McRae was arrested early this morning in Overland Park on a DUI charge … This is McRae’s third citation for driving under the influence.

He’s not in the game anymore and maybe it doesn’t matter for our purposes, but this kind of thing bums me out whenever I see it from a guy who made his living playing ball.

1. cur68 - Apr 22, 2011 at 11:42 AM

This is just sad. The guy could do anything with his life now and this is what he’s up to? He doesn’t get to be in the mug shot competition; he’s not an active player, but I might stick him in there if I can ever get a picture of Dykstra from his arrest. Sort of a life time achievement award for doing stupid sh!t when you could, in fact, be doing nearly anything else. I hope he gets some help.

• BC - Apr 22, 2011 at 11:51 AM

Non baseball related, and certainly not trying to make light of this situation, but Glen Campbell has the best mug shot ever:

• cur68 - Apr 22, 2011 at 12:31 PM

JESUSCHRISTALMIGHTY!

• BC - Apr 22, 2011 at 12:51 PM

That’s what I said when I first saw it. Nick Nolte has a good one out there as well, but can’t find it.

• cur68 - Apr 22, 2011 at 12:59 PM

Homey, please! I know the shot you are talking about but for the love of all that’s holy do not throw that up. I’ts gonna take me all day to get over Campbell, there. Seriously though, I can’t think of better deterrent than posters of Nolte and Campbell. Who’d want their mug looking like that?

• BC - Apr 22, 2011 at 1:01 PM

I don’t think most of us would want a mug in the first place. ;-)

• jwbiii - Apr 22, 2011 at 1:49 PM

Nick Nolte’s mug. I met met him and chatted with him for about five minutes while we were outside having a smoke during the intermission of a play in Chicago. In real life, he looks somewhere between his mug shot and the made up version you see on the screen.

Brian McRae owns a few radio stations in Missouri and Kansas.

• jwbiii - Apr 22, 2011 at 1:51 PM

As Paul White said a bit further down the page. . .

• marshmallowsnake - Apr 22, 2011 at 1:52 PM

Was he auditioning for the Hills Have Eyes?

• heyblueyoustink - Apr 22, 2011 at 2:51 PM

Pee Wee Herman’s mugshot is priceless

• jwbiii - Apr 22, 2011 at 6:07 PM

Pee Wee Herman.

Have fun!

• cur68 - Apr 22, 2011 at 7:29 PM

Boys, I got a delicate constitution. You gotta cut this out. I haven’t the self control not to look. Nolte’s shirt is as gut wrenching as his physiognomy. Don’t get me started on Herman. As for Campbell; I’m out of eye bleach thanks to that shot.

• Ryan - Apr 24, 2011 at 10:37 AM

@BC you couldn’t find Nick Nolte’s mug shot?? try typing “nick nolte” into this wonderful thing called “google” and i guarantee its the first image that pops up

2. BC - Apr 22, 2011 at 11:42 AM

Third offense…? Means he’s going to do a lot of community service and take a lot of cabs over the next couple years at least. At least that’s how its done in the 860. Luckily he didn’t get in an accident and injure anyone.

• Utley's Hair - Apr 22, 2011 at 12:14 PM

Three DUIs should get your license revoked for good.

• marshmallowsnake - Apr 22, 2011 at 12:28 PM

Two should…because obviously the first time they were caught did not teach them anything.

• BC - Apr 22, 2011 at 12:37 PM

I think in the 860 it’s 3 months, then a year, then good luck you have to apply to get it back.

• jhorton83 - Apr 22, 2011 at 12:56 PM

According to Missouri’s DUI laws, a 3rd DUI gets your license suspended for 10 years.

3. sportsdrenched - Apr 22, 2011 at 11:46 AM

I didn’t realize he made this a habit. He’s on the radio a lot in KC. Disapointing really.

• Paul White - Apr 22, 2011 at 12:13 PM

FYI – He’s on the radio a lot because he part owner of the largest sports radio station in KC.

• sportsdrenched - Apr 22, 2011 at 2:14 PM

I knew that he was once an owner. But I didn’t know the status of everyone once Jerry Green died.

Jeff Montomgery still an owner of UB too?

Even though I live three hours away I still have an 810 sticker on my car.

• Paul White - Apr 22, 2011 at 3:43 PM

I presume he’s still an owner. He and Montgomery are both listed on the station’s website under “management” and everyone else in that section is a known owner.

4. marshmallowsnake - Apr 22, 2011 at 12:30 PM

It amazes me how many athletes struggle with drinking and other substances. I mean, I know they have a lot of free time…and every hotel and city they go to have plenty of watering holes…but still…liquor is not that important. You would think people that rely 100% on their body for their employment would get this more then the average Joe.

• BC - Apr 22, 2011 at 12:45 PM

I think a lot of these guys were the life of the party in high school and college, in other words, BMOC. Most baseballers who went through the minors went to all the local watering holes. NBA players coming out of high school have all this money thrown at them and its time to party like its 1999. It’s just an easy temptation. Not saying its right, but it happens a lot. For every Kurt Warner there’s a Miguel Cabrera. For every Derek Jeter there’s a Josh Hamilton (who thankfully looks like he’s righted himself for good, I hope). You can only hope that the guys that abuse the booze or other stuff don’t injure or kill someone and get help if and when they need it.

• marshmallowsnake - Apr 22, 2011 at 1:51 PM

Agreed. When you have all the money and time in the world, you have a dangerous combination!

5. stackers1 - Apr 22, 2011 at 12:38 PM

I’m trying to eat my lunch here. Why did I open that picture of Glen Campbell? Ruined my chicken parm hero.

• BC - Apr 22, 2011 at 12:45 PM

Sorry.

6. vikesfansteve - Apr 22, 2011 at 3:11 PM

The black Tony Larussa

7. genericcommenter - Apr 22, 2011 at 6:25 PM

He’s been arrested 3 times- how many convictions? Where I’m from your first conviction is automatic jail or 3 day inpatient program, $1000+ in fines, 6 mo. suspension, and probation. The conviction is on the permanent criminal record. Of course if you have money/connections and refuse a breathalyzer you can get off pretty easily with the right witnesses and expert testimony. If you are really poor and can’t afford rehab you get jail. I don’t even want to think about what happens on a 3rd- though I think there are some politicians driving around with a few- they just don’t get convicted.

8. rcali - Apr 23, 2011 at 6:26 AM

How is he still driving after two these days? Must have faced Lohan’s judge in court.

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (3102)