Apr 22, 2011, 12:00 PM EDT
Purcey wears size 17 spikes, and the A’s haven’t had a player above size 14; manager Bob Geren is a size 15, the previous Vucinich-era record holder. So when Purcey was traded to the A’s from Toronto on Monday, the team had no spare white shoes in his size.
This is a problem. No, not the shoe size. The fact that the A’s still wear white shoes. God, I hate white shoes on ballplayers. I am convinced that the A’s wearing white shoes has negatively impacted my view of the team as a whole over the years. There have been times — and I’m not proud of this — that I have turned off A’s games because the white shoes have bothered me so much.
- The dizzying intellect of Tom Glavine 6
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts 117
- Chase Headley plays the hero in his first game in pinstripes 20
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 26
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 18
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 29
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 108
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 39