Apr 22, 2011, 12:00 PM EDT
Purcey wears size 17 spikes, and the A’s haven’t had a player above size 14; manager Bob Geren is a size 15, the previous Vucinich-era record holder. So when Purcey was traded to the A’s from Toronto on Monday, the team had no spare white shoes in his size.
This is a problem. No, not the shoe size. The fact that the A’s still wear white shoes. God, I hate white shoes on ballplayers. I am convinced that the A’s wearing white shoes has negatively impacted my view of the team as a whole over the years. There have been times — and I’m not proud of this — that I have turned off A’s games because the white shoes have bothered me so much.
- Report: MLB likely to adjust rules for plays at home and transfer catches 2
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 16
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 21
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 9
- Pirates acquire Ike Davis in a trade with the Mets 46
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)