David Purcey has big feet

Apr 22, 2011, 12:00 PM EDT

purcey_david

You know what they say about guys with big feet, right?  Yeah: they have really big shoes. Susan Slusser of the Chronicle tells us about new Oakland A David Purcey‘s big ones:

Purcey wears size 17 spikes, and the A’s haven’t had a player above size 14; manager Bob Geren is a size 15, the previous Vucinich-era record holder. So when Purcey was traded to the A’s from Toronto on Monday, the team had no spare white shoes in his size.

This is a problem. No, not the shoe size. The fact that the A’s still wear white shoes. God, I hate white shoes on ballplayers. I am convinced that the A’s wearing white shoes has negatively impacted my view of the team as a whole over the years. There have been times — and I’m not proud of this — that I have turned off A’s games because the white shoes have bothered me so much.

1. Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Apr 22, 2011 at 12:08 PM

You sure you didn’t turn off the game due to the crappy product on the field?

2. CJ - Apr 22, 2011 at 12:21 PM

“David Purcey has big feet”

that’s what she said…

3. cur68 - Apr 22, 2011 at 12:43 PM

I watched that guy from last year and I never noticed his flippers. However I can recall saying more than once “what in tarnation is this clown DOING?!” So maybe I did notice, subliminally, the size of those dogs.

4. BC - Apr 22, 2011 at 12:48 PM

Big feet + big hands = big shoes + big gloves…..

5. heyblueyoustink - Apr 22, 2011 at 1:07 PM

Make him catcher I say….you can’t touch home plate if it’s totally eclipsed by sasquatch size dogs

• cur68 - Apr 22, 2011 at 1:11 PM

Not a bad idea. In white shoes they’d look bigger. Pity they weren’t red shoes. Krusty the Clown jokes would be cheap laughs.

• BC - Apr 22, 2011 at 1:13 PM

The Raiders need a punter, no? Take those Bob-Lanier-size feet and see how far you can kick a football. He’d probably screw up GPS for everyone by kicking it into orbit.

• heyblueyoustink - Apr 22, 2011 at 1:26 PM

he missed his calling in it’s entirety, he should have been a jet ski

• Joe - Apr 22, 2011 at 1:43 PM

Plus he’s a lefty, so you’d have the novelty factor, too.

6. BC - Apr 22, 2011 at 1:15 PM

And yes Craig, white shoes suck. Gotta go with black. We need the NFL uniform police to get involved with MLB.

• jimbo1949 - Apr 22, 2011 at 5:20 PM

What good are white shoes if you don’t have a white belt and a baby blue leisure suit to go with them?

Herbert R Tarlek jr.

7. Detroit Michael - Apr 22, 2011 at 2:07 PM

I like the white shoes look, at least for the Athletics who have don’t have a history of wearing conservative, classic uniforms.

8. sportsdrenched - Apr 22, 2011 at 2:08 PM

I wear a size 17 shoe.

I thought the trouble in finding shoes was because the profesional athletes had all the size 17 shoes.

But this story makes me realize they have that problem too. I feel much better for having read this.

• sportsdrenched - Apr 22, 2011 at 2:11 PM

Also, white shoes make your feet look bigger. Not a real big fan of white shoes either.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5190)