Apr 22, 2011, 4:20 PM EDT
We need a name for this thing. The Bud Protectorate? Something Oliver Cromwell-ish seems to fit. I’ll think about it.
Anyway, Ken Gurnick of MLB.com reports that Dodgers GM Ned Colletti has been told that his payroll will be unaffected while MLB runs the Dodgers and that things will be business as usual. Which makes sense given that there are set commitments and sunk costs and stuff.
The real question will be what happens if the Dodgers contend and there is a competitive argument for increasing payroll in some way sometime this summer. Major League Baseball allowed the Rangers to take on Cliff Lee last year, but at least then there was a new owner in the Greenberg/Ryan group waiting to step in and pay those expanded costs back to MLB. It could still be a while for someone new to come on the scene in L.A.
In any event, Gurnick reports that Colletti has been contacted by two other GMs who have been through this before — Omar Minaya and Jon Daniels — who have given him encouragement and advice. Note to Ned: listen more to Jon on this one. Trust me.
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 40
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 29
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 103
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 78
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 16
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 28
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 67
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 66
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (103)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (89)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week (80)