Apr 22, 2011, 8:23 AM EST
The Dodgers have gone months and months without having a head of security in place. No one is quite sure why. They just fired the last one and still haven’t gotten around to hiring a replacement. No biggie, though. I mean, it’s not like a fan was friggin’ beat almost to death in the Dodger Stadium parking lot during the interim.
Now, a day after Major League Baseball announced that it was taking over the Dodgers, Frank McCourt’s media attack dog Steve Soboroff has the nerve to say that the takeover is irresponsible because it hinders the Dodgers’ ability to hire a security chief:
The Dodgers tried to make their point on Thursday by telling Selig’s office they were prepared to hire a full-time head of security, a position McCourt has left vacant for four months. If McCourt had his usual authority, he could have made a job offer on Thursday. Instead, the Dodgers had to submit the name of the unidentified candidate and wait for league approval.
“Where is the responsibility now? That’s not good management, from this perspective,” Soboroff said. “In four days, they’ll send somebody out to see if they want to hire our security guy?”
How effing convenient, Mr. Soboroff, that you found a security head the day after baseball took over the team. I’m sure the timing was a complete and utter coincidence, in no way connected with Frank McCourt’s need to demonstrate, as soon as possible, that he actually deserves to run the team he’s spent the past several years destroying. And yes, those four days far outweigh the four months your boss has sat on his butt on the subject, spurred to action only because Bryan Stow was almost killed.
I think the only thing he could say that would be more gobsmacking is that baseball’s receivership of the Dodgers is causing them to have to borrow money and that such a thing is a crying shame.
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 1
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 1
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 341
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (343)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- John Baker, Jeremy Brown, coal mines and class (80)
- Report: Josh Hamilton could get a suspension of “at least 25 games” (71)