Apr 22, 2011, 8:23 AM EDT
The Dodgers have gone months and months without having a head of security in place. No one is quite sure why. They just fired the last one and still haven’t gotten around to hiring a replacement. No biggie, though. I mean, it’s not like a fan was friggin’ beat almost to death in the Dodger Stadium parking lot during the interim.
Now, a day after Major League Baseball announced that it was taking over the Dodgers, Frank McCourt’s media attack dog Steve Soboroff has the nerve to say that the takeover is irresponsible because it hinders the Dodgers’ ability to hire a security chief:
The Dodgers tried to make their point on Thursday by telling Selig’s office they were prepared to hire a full-time head of security, a position McCourt has left vacant for four months. If McCourt had his usual authority, he could have made a job offer on Thursday. Instead, the Dodgers had to submit the name of the unidentified candidate and wait for league approval.
“Where is the responsibility now? That’s not good management, from this perspective,” Soboroff said. “In four days, they’ll send somebody out to see if they want to hire our security guy?”
How effing convenient, Mr. Soboroff, that you found a security head the day after baseball took over the team. I’m sure the timing was a complete and utter coincidence, in no way connected with Frank McCourt’s need to demonstrate, as soon as possible, that he actually deserves to run the team he’s spent the past several years destroying. And yes, those four days far outweigh the four months your boss has sat on his butt on the subject, spurred to action only because Bryan Stow was almost killed.
I think the only thing he could say that would be more gobsmacking is that baseball’s receivership of the Dodgers is causing them to have to borrow money and that such a thing is a crying shame.
- How’d he do that? Magician Maddux fooled hitters all the way to Hall 14
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 46
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 35
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 14
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 196
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 22
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 37
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (200)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)