Great moments in chutzpah: The Dodgers call MLB irresponsible in connection with stadium security

Apr 22, 2011, 8:23 AM EDT

File photo of Los Angeles Dodgers owner Frank McCourt speaking at a news conference about increased security at Dodger Stadium in Los Angeles

The Dodgers have gone months and months without having a head of security in place. No one is quite sure why. They just fired the last one and still haven’t gotten around to hiring a replacement. No biggie, though. I mean, it’s not like a fan was friggin’ beat almost to death in the Dodger Stadium parking lot during the interim.

Now, a day after Major League Baseball announced that it was taking over the Dodgers, Frank McCourt’s media attack dog Steve Soboroff has the nerve to say that the takeover is irresponsible because it hinders the Dodgers’ ability to hire a security chief:

The Dodgers tried to make their point on Thursday by telling Selig’s office they were prepared to hire a full-time head of security, a position McCourt has left vacant for four months. If McCourt had his usual authority, he could have made a job offer on Thursday. Instead, the Dodgers had to submit the name of the unidentified candidate and wait for league approval.

“Where is the responsibility now? That’s not good management, from this perspective,” Soboroff said. “In four days, they’ll send somebody out to see if they want to hire our security guy?”

How effing convenient, Mr. Soboroff, that you found a security head the day after baseball took over the team. I’m sure the timing was a complete and utter coincidence, in no way connected with Frank McCourt’s need to demonstrate, as soon as possible, that he actually deserves to run the team he’s spent the past several years destroying. And yes, those four days far outweigh the four months your boss has sat on his butt on the subject, spurred to action only because Bryan Stow was almost killed.

I think the only thing he could say that would be more gobsmacking is that baseball’s receivership of the Dodgers is causing them to have to borrow money and that such a thing is a crying shame.

1. visnovsky - Apr 22, 2011 at 8:27 AM

If Selig were a Mafia Don, McCourt would sleeping with the fishes. I can’t stand the McCourts.

2. Vincent - Apr 22, 2011 at 9:00 AM

Soboroff really shouldn’t be talking to the press…

• Old Gator - Apr 22, 2011 at 10:29 AM

Just out of curiosity, doesn’t Selig or the league president have the power to slap Soboroff with a hefty fine for shooting his mouth off? Or am I just spoiled by watching Herr Kommissioner Stern of the NBA wield his authority with all the delicacy of Alley Oop on a bender?

• vader000 - Apr 22, 2011 at 10:49 AM

Yuuupp, sounds like you’ve got a bad case of Stern Fatigue. He’s so smug about it too, it seems like he gets real joy out of smacking down any dissenters. This claim by Soboroff is pretty ridiculous, what convenient timing.

• BC - Apr 22, 2011 at 12:08 PM

Bud Light would never do that. The last thing he wants to do is throw a huge fine or penalty out there and gum up the process more. He wants McCourt out. Best to let the thing evolve and get McCourt out without being tied up in the courts for 3 years.
        Then he can work on the Wilpons. (Please! MarkCubanMarkCubanMarkCuban….)

3. buddaley - Apr 22, 2011 at 9:04 AM

I have no sympathy for the McCourts, but I do have a question. Why isn’t Selig on the griddle for having permitted them to buy the team in the first place? It was well-known at the time that they did not have the cash to support their ownership, yet Selig and the other owners allowed them into the club.

To date, I have seen no evidence of a willingness by the media to question Selig on this issue. His toes and those of the owners who supported the decision should be held to the fire until they are forced to explain their decision.

• Old Gator - Apr 22, 2011 at 10:27 AM

Along the same lines, where was MLB during the four months that the Dodgers had no security director in place? You’d think this would be something they would want to monitor carefully for all of their teams, no?

• Panda Claus - Apr 22, 2011 at 10:32 AM

MLB is a wait and react league. All 30 teams could be without security directors and they wouldn’t care, until a problem like happened to that fan in LA takes place. Only then does the commish start to move with purpose.

• cur68 - Apr 22, 2011 at 10:52 AM

All stadiums should have to submit monthly security reports to MLB. Its a matter of simple statistics to determine which stadiums are safe and which aren’t. Then it should be published. Stadium owners would then have to do well, lets say meet a minimum possible score, or face sanction. As a fan I would welcome knowing that when I go to a game the chances of something going amiss due to thuggary were slim and I’d know if the security force was being run by, say, the Hells Angels or Blackwater or maybe they are in house team developed by a former police officer. Not to mention it would give the Philly Phaithphul something to point to when others give them crap about how bad things are for visiting fans. Providing the don’t let the Phanatic or that robot run security. But, hey, I’d want to know.

• Old Gator - Apr 22, 2011 at 11:05 AM

I dunno. The Angels did a pretty professional job of keeping things quiet at Altamont. Or look at it another way: if not for the Angels at Altamont, Hunter and Garcia would never have written “New Speedway Boogie” and the culture would be so much the poorer for it.

• cur68 - Apr 22, 2011 at 11:10 AM

Hmmm, didn’t know that. I base the comments on my experience of them in Montreal in the 80′s, and 90′s. Holy crap was it scary there. Still is, if you’re any where near those guys in Montreal. Maybe the species in So-Cal is more peaceful? All that sun keeping their SAD under control, or something.

• BC - Apr 22, 2011 at 12:13 PM

I think there’s obviously a bit of distration there. Also, the neighborhood around the stadium has apparantly tanked in the last decade, which doesn’t help. Still no excuse though. I’ve been to Yankees-Red Sox, Mets-Phillies games…. Rangers-Devils in the mid 90′s, and going back old school, Whalers-Bruins in the 80′s. Maybe you see a fight in the stands, probably from someone being beered or sworn at, but no one got beaten into a coma. This is just thuggery. Like I said the other day, I hope they catch the effing punks that did this and give them a few smacks in the head with a 5 wood just to help them realize what they did.

• Old Gator - Apr 22, 2011 at 12:20 PM

I was being more than a little facetious about Altamont. Google it, bro.

Beaver should be coming out of hibernation up your way about now, too. Ahh, to be young again.

• cur68 - Apr 22, 2011 at 12:39 PM

Issa sad facto life Gator that the women you least want to see in short tight clothing are the first able to tolerate the 38 degree warm weather we are having. Thats 38 Fahrenheit in case you were wondering. Picture a beluga in a mini skirt with lipstick, mascara and thigh boots on her lower flippers. Scary man.

• Old Gator - Apr 22, 2011 at 2:35 PM

As any Macondoan knows – albeit from monotonous experience with those perpetually grinning wiseass cetaceans that populate our warm tropical waters as opposed to belugas -the technical term from those “lower flippers” is flukes.

Learn a word a day by using it every way.

Meanwhile, I didn’t realize that the Spandex XLBs came out that early. They’re a year-round phenomenon down here. In fact, there are even a few gas stations that have special pumps they can use if they start to sag.

• cur68 - Apr 22, 2011 at 2:58 PM

Don’t see many cetaceans on the prairies so the only flukes I’m familiar with are the kind found in liver. My supervisor has a great specimen vacuum and wax sealed in an old fashioned bell jar (which, IMO, is asking for leaking liver fluke juice one of these days, but what the hell do I know? I thought is was a fetal shark ray when I first saw it).

4. cur68 - Apr 22, 2011 at 10:54 AM

No one ever accused Frankie boy of not haves nards. The Red Sox fans should kiss Buds arse for keeping this guy away from their club. The Dodger fans should string Bud up for letting Frank near theirs.

5. BC - Apr 22, 2011 at 11:21 AM

McCourt just needs to go away. And stop shooting his mouth off. NOW. QUICKLY. Dude, 60 percent of your net worth (if there is any) is about to go out the window to your ex-wife. Keep your mouth shut.
    Jeez, this guy makes the Wilpons look competent.

6. Jonny 5 - Apr 22, 2011 at 2:25 PM

Someone should throw Frank McCourt to a large group of Dodgers fans wearing a Giants Jersey. It would be like throwing a side of roasted beef covered in gravy into a hog pen.

• cur68 - Apr 22, 2011 at 2:30 PM

Had a bit of trouble with that first sentence there J5 but then I realized it worked either way. If its Frank in the Giants’ jersey, then, yes, he’s in trouble. If it’s the Dodger fans being forced to wear Giants’ jerseys then they’d be some riled and yeah, Frankie is in for some hurtin. Golf clap.

• pauleee - Apr 22, 2011 at 3:45 PM

Geez, Jonny, I was going to say the same thing earlier, but I figured I’d get thumbs-downed to death. Not a single dissenter.

7. bc666 - Apr 23, 2011 at 7:10 PM

Dodger Stadium hasn’t had security worth a damn in years. The gang thugs have taken over and the organization panders to them. Every Sunday home game is viva los Dodgers day, english is a second language at the stadium, so-called security people are useless and dumb as a bag of hair. I haven’t been to a game in 3 years because of what I have witnessed with my own eyes in and out of the stadium. McCourt went cheap, let things fall apart, let people die as was the case in 2009. MLB should have stepped in much sooner. They step in now when they finally realize that they never should have allowed McCourt to buy the team…..with none of his own money in the first place. Now they are covering their asses.

Three legends off to Cooperstown