Apr 22, 2011, 5:06 PM EST
Johnny Damon missed three games after being hit on the hand by a pitch Sunday and revealed today that he has a hairline fracture in the tip of his left ring finger.
Damon played last night, going 1-for-4 with a single, and is back in the lineup tonight against the Blue Jays, telling Roger Mooney of the Tampa Tribune that he plans to play through the injury:
The break is at the tip, that’s why I’m able to play. If it was further down I wouldn’t be able to move it. Right now it’s super numb. I can actually squeeze, which is good, without putting too much pressure on it.
Manny Ramirez’s retirement leaves the designated hitter spot open for Damon to play full time and not having to play left field should help him deal with the injury (and help the Rays’ defense too). Damon is hoping the injury heals up in about a month.
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 82
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 47
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 33
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 144
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 26
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)