Apr 22, 2011, 5:06 PM EST
Johnny Damon missed three games after being hit on the hand by a pitch Sunday and revealed today that he has a hairline fracture in the tip of his left ring finger.
Damon played last night, going 1-for-4 with a single, and is back in the lineup tonight against the Blue Jays, telling Roger Mooney of the Tampa Tribune that he plans to play through the injury:
The break is at the tip, that’s why I’m able to play. If it was further down I wouldn’t be able to move it. Right now it’s super numb. I can actually squeeze, which is good, without putting too much pressure on it.
Manny Ramirez’s retirement leaves the designated hitter spot open for Damon to play full time and not having to play left field should help him deal with the injury (and help the Rays’ defense too). Damon is hoping the injury heals up in about a month.
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 316
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (315)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (136)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)