Apr 22, 2011, 5:06 PM EDT
Johnny Damon missed three games after being hit on the hand by a pitch Sunday and revealed today that he has a hairline fracture in the tip of his left ring finger.
Damon played last night, going 1-for-4 with a single, and is back in the lineup tonight against the Blue Jays, telling Roger Mooney of the Tampa Tribune that he plans to play through the injury:
The break is at the tip, that’s why I’m able to play. If it was further down I wouldn’t be able to move it. Right now it’s super numb. I can actually squeeze, which is good, without putting too much pressure on it.
Manny Ramirez’s retirement leaves the designated hitter spot open for Damon to play full time and not having to play left field should help him deal with the injury (and help the Rays’ defense too). Damon is hoping the injury heals up in about a month.
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game, as they’re announced… 1
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 49
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 102
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 19
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 10
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 40
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 9
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (102)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)