Apr 22, 2011, 5:06 PM EDT
Johnny Damon missed three games after being hit on the hand by a pitch Sunday and revealed today that he has a hairline fracture in the tip of his left ring finger.
Damon played last night, going 1-for-4 with a single, and is back in the lineup tonight against the Blue Jays, telling Roger Mooney of the Tampa Tribune that he plans to play through the injury:
The break is at the tip, that’s why I’m able to play. If it was further down I wouldn’t be able to move it. Right now it’s super numb. I can actually squeeze, which is good, without putting too much pressure on it.
Manny Ramirez’s retirement leaves the designated hitter spot open for Damon to play full time and not having to play left field should help him deal with the injury (and help the Rays’ defense too). Damon is hoping the injury heals up in about a month.
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (88)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (88)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (80)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (76)