Apr 22, 2011, 7:36 PM EDT
Justin Morneau is out of the starting lineup for the sixth straight game this evening. Twins manager Ron Gardenhire told Phil Mackey of 1500ESPN.com that while Morneau is still getting over the flu, he also needed a cortisone shot today to relieve vertebrae inflammation in his neck.
“He had a neck issue before he even got sick, where he was having a stiff neck — something that he’s dealt with in the past, and he’s had this before,” Gardenhire said. “It was just a little shot to kind of get rid of some inflammation.”
The good news is that the neck issue has absolutely nothing to do with his previous post-concussion symptoms. Gardenhire said Morneau was “not going to play anyway” Friday because of the flu, but thinks he could be available to pinch-hit as soon as tomorrow.
“I think Morneau’s going to be back here real soon,” Gardenhire said. “(Saturday) or the next day, I think he’ll be able to play. He’s got a little better look on his face today than he had. He doesn’t feel great today, but I think he’s starting to hold down fluid, and so is Joe (Mauer), and that’s a big key when they start (being) able to eat and keep stuff in their stomach.”
The Twins have been playing with a two-man bench over the past three days — as Delmon Young is also sidelined due to the flu and a rib injury — so they can’t afford to go short-handed much longer.
Morneau was batting .208 (11-for-53) with zero homers, five doubles and three RBI before coming down with the flu.
- Maximum stay on Hall of Fame ballot changed from 15 to 10 years 1
- Jon Lester is willing to return to the Red Sox as a free agent even if they trade him 5
- Jose Abreu is third-fastest in MLB history to reach 30 career home runs 4
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 11
- How’d he do that? Magician Maddux fooled hitters all the way to Hall 23
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 46
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 35
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 14
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (200)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)