MLB celebrates Earth Day

Apr 22, 2011, 9:40 AM EDT

Green Baseball

It’s Earth Day. And I didn’t buy you a gift. Drat, I always forget.

Baseball hasn’t forgotten, however, and it’s doing a lot of stuff in honor of the occasion:

The Indians and Twins will wear green caps during their game Friday night at Target Field; the Mariners will introduce a new environmental mascot called Kid Compost; the Reds will host a major e-waste drive; and the Pirates will host an energy-free day at PNC Park.

I’ve been to PNC Park. From what I can tell it’s always an energy-free zone. Hey-O!

Seriously, though, I like it when companies try to raise awareness of the problems facing our environment. Even the ones who cut down a bunch of trees recently because some rich people complained that they spoiled the view.

OK, this time really seriously: check out the article at MLB.com to read about what teams are doing for Earth Day. And then, to the extent that the measures are practical and useful, demand that they do that sort of stuff all the time.

And for cryin’ out loud, get a bike.

1. nicosamuelson2 - Apr 22, 2011 at 10:04 AM

That last sentence is the funniest thing I’ve read all morning.

2. Panda Claus - Apr 22, 2011 at 10:27 AM

Hey, let’s produce a bunch of one-time-use green hats to celebrate Earth Day. Isn’t the idea of this to promote reuse? I’m sure there’s no chance these hats ever end up in the landfill.

• Utley's Hair - Apr 22, 2011 at 12:44 PM

They might need to limit the use to a single time—who knows where they got the green dye? Plus, the idea is to make it LOOK like they are promoting reuse, when they’re promoting sales of yet one more line of merchandise.

• IdahoMariner - Apr 22, 2011 at 1:37 PM

that’s what I was thinking. maybe they should auction them off after the game.

3. thebigwhitecat - Apr 22, 2011 at 10:48 PM

Teams can recycle the St. Patrick’s Day caps.

Also, the A’s are celebrating Earth Day tonight by wearing green caps.

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. R. Castillo (3574)