Nationals return Jesus Flores to Triple-A after brief comeback

Apr 22, 2011, 10:47 AM EDT

Jesus Flores

After missing most of 2009 and all of 2010 with shoulder problems Jesus Flores made it back to the majors last week for his first game action since September 12, 2009, singled in his first at-bat … and is now going back to Triple-A.

Flores’ comeback story is a good one, but when the Nationals called him up last week I wondered what exactly they planned to do with a third catcher when Wilson Ramos and Ivan Rodriguez were both playing regularly behind the plate. It turns out they didn’t plan to do anything with him, so after a grand total of two at-bats in nine days they optioned Flores to Triple-A to make room on the roster for utility man Brian Bixler.

Here’s what manager Jim Riggleman said about the move:

We’re carrying three catchers, and we just don’t really think it’s doing Jesus much good here. The opportunities and the need are not arising that often. We need to get him back down there playing.

He’s right, of course, but it just seems odd that Riggleman and the Nationals couldn’t connect those dots before actually calling Flores up to sit on the bench for two weeks. It’s possible that Flores could share time with Ramos next season after Rodriguez leaves as a free agent, but the Nationals trading him at midseason to a team that still views the 26-year-old as a potential starter behind the plate makes the most sense.

1. BC - Apr 22, 2011 at 11:04 AM

Pudge is most likely done at the end of the year – if not sooner if he has a rough going. Might as well get this guy some playing time.

• natstowngreg - Apr 22, 2011 at 1:20 PM

I love Flores, remembering his effort and clutch-hitting. But if Rizzo can get something useful from a team that needs a starting catcher, fine.

Pudge could be dealt to a team that could give him one more shot at the Series. Otherwise, we’ll bid him farewell after the season, and wish him well getting into the Hall of Fame.

And yes, it made no sense for Flores to be called up to sit on the bench.

2. Joe - Apr 22, 2011 at 11:05 AM

Theo? You listening?

3. drunkenhooliganism - Apr 22, 2011 at 12:33 PM

Maybe Jesus will be promoted on Sunday

• Utley's Hair - Apr 22, 2011 at 12:52 PM

That was one of those things that was so bad you had to laugh.

• drunkenhooliganism - Apr 22, 2011 at 12:59 PM

Should I have went with “Today sure is a bad day to be a Jesus”

nah, that’s worse

• BC - Apr 22, 2011 at 1:10 PM

Honk if you think I’m Jesus!
        (My brother had that bumpersticker for a while).
        And yes, I’m Catholic, and yes I know it’s Good Friday. I’m going to Hades anyway, why not have fun and a sense of humor getting there.

• Utley's Hair - Apr 22, 2011 at 3:55 PM

I’m Catholic, too, and I could REALLY go for a cheesesteak right about now….

• drunkenhooliganism - Apr 22, 2011 at 4:16 PM

I’m catholic and I just got back from Tony Luke’s.

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (3092)