Apr 22, 2011, 10:47 AM EDT
After missing most of 2009 and all of 2010 with shoulder problems Jesus Flores made it back to the majors last week for his first game action since September 12, 2009, singled in his first at-bat … and is now going back to Triple-A.
Flores’ comeback story is a good one, but when the Nationals called him up last week I wondered what exactly they planned to do with a third catcher when Wilson Ramos and Ivan Rodriguez were both playing regularly behind the plate. It turns out they didn’t plan to do anything with him, so after a grand total of two at-bats in nine days they optioned Flores to Triple-A to make room on the roster for utility man Brian Bixler.
Here’s what manager Jim Riggleman said about the move:
We’re carrying three catchers, and we just don’t really think it’s doing Jesus much good here. The opportunities and the need are not arising that often. We need to get him back down there playing.
He’s right, of course, but it just seems odd that Riggleman and the Nationals couldn’t connect those dots before actually calling Flores up to sit on the bench for two weeks. It’s possible that Flores could share time with Ramos next season after Rodriguez leaves as a free agent, but the Nationals trading him at midseason to a team that still views the 26-year-old as a potential starter behind the plate makes the most sense.
- REPORT: The Astros to name A.J. Hinch their new manager today 15
- Twins fire manager Ron Gardenhire 33
- Pouliot’s 2014 American League awards picks 15
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs 79
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 83
- Reds beat Pirates behind Johnny Cueto, hand National League Central title to St. Louis 20
- Video: Steven Souza Jr. makes sensational catch to secure Jordan Zimmermann’s no-no 24
- David Price dominates Twins as Tigers win AL Central 30
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (84)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (79)
- Bud Selig says A-Rod will “have a clean slate” once his suspension is over (78)