Apr 22, 2011, 11:19 AM EDT
Last night the White Sox beat the Rays to snap a seven-game losing streak and before the game manager Ozzie Guillen told reporters that he’s not worried about being fired despite the slow start.
And he said it in typically amusing Ozzie fashion:
I come to work, put a smile on my face, talk to you guys and do my manager’s job and go home and cry. In front of you guys, I’m fine, I’m cool. I got a lot of money. I got a lot of work. If I’m not managing the White Sox, I will manage somewhere else. Maybe Mexico, Japan. I know I will manage in Venezuela. I can do a lot of great stuff in baseball.
This job might just have a title. I might go to FOX. They want me. I can do a lot of stuff. Job security, everyone who sits in this chair, all those guys out there, they are in the same boat I am. As soon as you sign the contract, you are in the hot seat. I [don't] worry about that. That’s the last thing I even think about.
And he’s right, of course. Guillen may not be the easiest manager to work with from a general manager’s point of view, but a .527 winning percentage and a World Series title in seven-plus seasons with the White Sox all but guarantees he’d land another gig pretty quickly.
And as Guillen also noted, he’s under contract for next season:
I’ve been fired and released before. If I get fired, I can at least enjoy my $2 million or something that I’m going to get next year. I’ll do like Manny Ramirez. I’ll go to Spain for the bullfights and come back for the World Series. I don’t worry about it.
If he does get fired, we can only hope that some reality television producer decides to make a show following Guillen and Manny Ramirez around Spain. I think they could be the next Kardashian sisters.
- Zack Wheeler goes six scoreless innings in MLB debut 4
- The San Jose lawsuit against Major League Baseball should be thrown out of court 36
- San Jose sues Major League Baseball, challenging its monopoly power 26
- Original Biogenesis source: “the people running Major League Baseball are the biggest scumbags on Earth” 41
- Brian Cashman calls out Yankees hitting coach Kevin Long 52
- MLB hands down the suspensions for Tuesday night’s Dodgers-Diamondbacks melee (111)
- Neil deGrasse Tyson explains why beanball wars are stupid (104)
- Democrats beat the Republicans 22-0 in the Congressional Baseball Game (98)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (88)
- LIVE: Spurs-Heat, Game 6
- Can Heat focus enough to avoid elimination?
- CSN: Bruins' defense never rests in Game 3 win
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- PFT: Freed Johnson wants second chance in NFL
- PBT: Judges rules Iverson did not kidnap children
- PFT: Rodgers says Packers' moves a 'wake-up call'