Apr 22, 2011, 11:19 AM EDT
Last night the White Sox beat the Rays to snap a seven-game losing streak and before the game manager Ozzie Guillen told reporters that he’s not worried about being fired despite the slow start.
And he said it in typically amusing Ozzie fashion:
I come to work, put a smile on my face, talk to you guys and do my manager’s job and go home and cry. In front of you guys, I’m fine, I’m cool. I got a lot of money. I got a lot of work. If I’m not managing the White Sox, I will manage somewhere else. Maybe Mexico, Japan. I know I will manage in Venezuela. I can do a lot of great stuff in baseball.
This job might just have a title. I might go to FOX. They want me. I can do a lot of stuff. Job security, everyone who sits in this chair, all those guys out there, they are in the same boat I am. As soon as you sign the contract, you are in the hot seat. I [don’t] worry about that. That’s the last thing I even think about.
And he’s right, of course. Guillen may not be the easiest manager to work with from a general manager’s point of view, but a .527 winning percentage and a World Series title in seven-plus seasons with the White Sox all but guarantees he’d land another gig pretty quickly.
And as Guillen also noted, he’s under contract for next season:
I’ve been fired and released before. If I get fired, I can at least enjoy my $2 million or something that I’m going to get next year. I’ll do like Manny Ramirez. I’ll go to Spain for the bullfights and come back for the World Series. I don’t worry about it.
If he does get fired, we can only hope that some reality television producer decides to make a show following Guillen and Manny Ramirez around Spain. I think they could be the next Kardashian sisters.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 69
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 25
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (87)