Apr 22, 2011, 11:19 AM EDT
Last night the White Sox beat the Rays to snap a seven-game losing streak and before the game manager Ozzie Guillen told reporters that he’s not worried about being fired despite the slow start.
And he said it in typically amusing Ozzie fashion:
I come to work, put a smile on my face, talk to you guys and do my manager’s job and go home and cry. In front of you guys, I’m fine, I’m cool. I got a lot of money. I got a lot of work. If I’m not managing the White Sox, I will manage somewhere else. Maybe Mexico, Japan. I know I will manage in Venezuela. I can do a lot of great stuff in baseball.
This job might just have a title. I might go to FOX. They want me. I can do a lot of stuff. Job security, everyone who sits in this chair, all those guys out there, they are in the same boat I am. As soon as you sign the contract, you are in the hot seat. I [don't] worry about that. That’s the last thing I even think about.
And he’s right, of course. Guillen may not be the easiest manager to work with from a general manager’s point of view, but a .527 winning percentage and a World Series title in seven-plus seasons with the White Sox all but guarantees he’d land another gig pretty quickly.
And as Guillen also noted, he’s under contract for next season:
I’ve been fired and released before. If I get fired, I can at least enjoy my $2 million or something that I’m going to get next year. I’ll do like Manny Ramirez. I’ll go to Spain for the bullfights and come back for the World Series. I don’t worry about it.
If he does get fired, we can only hope that some reality television producer decides to make a show following Guillen and Manny Ramirez around Spain. I think they could be the next Kardashian sisters.
- The dizzying intellect of Tom Glavine 0
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts 99
- Chase Headley plays the hero in his first game in pinstripes 17
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 23
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 18
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 29
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 108
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 39