Ozzie Guillen not worried about being fired, discusses options if he does get fired

Apr 22, 2011, 11:19 AM EDT

Chicago White Sox manager Guillen sits in the dugout against the LA Angels during MLB American League baseball game in Anaheim

Last night the White Sox beat the Rays to snap a seven-game losing streak and before the game manager Ozzie Guillen told reporters that he’s not worried about being fired despite the slow start.

And he said it in typically amusing Ozzie fashion:

I come to work, put a smile on my face, talk to you guys and do my manager’s job and go home and cry. In front of you guys, I’m fine, I’m cool. I got a lot of money. I got a lot of work. If I’m not managing the White Sox, I will manage somewhere else. Maybe Mexico, Japan. I know I will manage in Venezuela. I can do a lot of great stuff in baseball.

This job might just have a title. I might go to FOX. They want me. I can do a lot of stuff. Job security, everyone who sits in this chair, all those guys out there, they are in the same boat I am. As soon as you sign the contract, you are in the hot seat. I [don't] worry about that. That’s the last thing I even think about.

And he’s right, of course. Guillen may not be the easiest manager to work with from a general manager’s point of view, but a .527 winning percentage and a World Series title in seven-plus seasons with the White Sox all but guarantees he’d land another gig pretty quickly.

And as Guillen also noted, he’s under contract for next season:

I’ve been fired and released before. If I get fired, I can at least enjoy my $2 million or something that I’m going to get next year. I’ll do like Manny Ramirez. I’ll go to Spain for the bullfights and come back for the World Series. I don’t worry about it.

If he does get fired, we can only hope that some reality television producer decides to make a show following Guillen and Manny Ramirez around Spain. I think they could be the next Kardashian sisters.

1. cur68 - Apr 22, 2011 at 11:30 AM

I tried to read this but all I could see was Ozzie and his “vulvic looking mouth”. Thanks a lot Gator.

• Old Gator - Apr 22, 2011 at 12:13 PM

You’re welcome. Ackcherley, I overwrote that line. The adjective is vulvate, not to be confused with “Vulgate,” especially not this weekend. That could be embarrassing. I’ll be more economical with it next time.

Anyway, I’m glad Ozzie isn’t worried about being fired. It’s been keeping me up nights. I hope he’s right about Chavez having a use for him; if there’s any justice in this world, he’ll make Ozzie his new foreign minister. And I root even harder for the Feesh when I read stuff like this; may the Three Barons, Dambala, Papa LaBas and the assembled Bodhisattvas bless Edwin Rodriguez and his team so that Scrooge McLoria won’t even consider spending the extra money to hire…to hire…dear Buddha, I can’t even finish the thought. Much success to Ozzie. Anywhere but Macondo. This place is vulvate enough without him.

2. natstowngreg - Apr 22, 2011 at 3:51 PM

Sometimes, I wonder if Ozzie knows what planet he’s on, but he does get the reality of being a Major League manager. ESPN, Fox, and MLB Network might have a bidding war for his services, given his entertainment potential. Perhaps, some network in Spain will throw him a wad of cash to announce bulfights.

3. barklikeadog - Apr 22, 2011 at 6:46 PM

I think Ozzie and Old Gator are from the same planet.

• cur68 - Apr 22, 2011 at 7:26 PM

Choo talkin’ bout? Spiderman and Doc Oc are form the same planet. So are Lex Luthor & Superman. Peter Pan and Tinkerbell? Same place. Betty Crocker and Mavis Beacon, too. S’wats your point?

• Old Gator - Apr 23, 2011 at 1:12 AM

“I think Ozzie and Old Gator are from the same planet.”

I won’t even dignify that by throwing up. Ozzie metabolises methane.

4. marinersnate - Apr 23, 2011 at 3:13 AM

Good for Ozzie. Then he will not be shocked when he is gone by the ASB? What a guy! Perhaps he and Oney can then “tweet” together. What a pleasure that will be.

“You can put it on the board, YEAH!” “He Gone”.

Red Sox shopping Lester and Lackey