Apr 22, 2011, 1:19 PM EDT
Designated for assignment by the Angels last week, Brandon Wood has predictably been claimed off waivers by the Pirates, who had the No. 1 waiver position by virtue of their MLB-worst 57-105 record last year.
That the Angels couldn’t find a team willing to give up something of even marginal value for Wood shows just how far the one-time top prospect’s stock has fallen, but Pittsburgh is certainly an ideal destination.
Ronny Cedeno has hit just .170 through 18 games as the Pirates’ starting shortstop, so Wood should get a chance to wrestle playing time away from him there while also seeing action as a backup elsewhere.
He’s been historically inept through 173 big-league games, hitting .168 with 153 strikeouts versus 13 walks in 494 plate appearances, but despite seemingly being around forever Wood is still just 26 years old and has hit .283 with an .886 OPS over 330 games in the admittedly hitter-friendly environment at Triple-A Salt Lake.
Wood is certainly never going to be the superstar many people projected him to become just a few years ago and the complete lack of strike zone control means he may never even make it as a valuable role player, but there’s still some potential for usefulness and the Pirates can certainly afford to give him a few hundred plate appearances in an attempt to flesh it out.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 7
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 81
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)