Apr 22, 2011, 1:19 PM EDT
Designated for assignment by the Angels last week, Brandon Wood has predictably been claimed off waivers by the Pirates, who had the No. 1 waiver position by virtue of their MLB-worst 57-105 record last year.
That the Angels couldn’t find a team willing to give up something of even marginal value for Wood shows just how far the one-time top prospect’s stock has fallen, but Pittsburgh is certainly an ideal destination.
Ronny Cedeno has hit just .170 through 18 games as the Pirates’ starting shortstop, so Wood should get a chance to wrestle playing time away from him there while also seeing action as a backup elsewhere.
He’s been historically inept through 173 big-league games, hitting .168 with 153 strikeouts versus 13 walks in 494 plate appearances, but despite seemingly being around forever Wood is still just 26 years old and has hit .283 with an .886 OPS over 330 games in the admittedly hitter-friendly environment at Triple-A Salt Lake.
Wood is certainly never going to be the superstar many people projected him to become just a few years ago and the complete lack of strike zone control means he may never even make it as a valuable role player, but there’s still some potential for usefulness and the Pirates can certainly afford to give him a few hundred plate appearances in an attempt to flesh it out.
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 20
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 25
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 84
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 164
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (164)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (123)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)