Apr 22, 2011, 6:13 PM EDT
Second baseman Brad Emaus, who was just returned from the Mets to the Blue Jays under the terms of his Rule 5 status, was traded from Toronto to Colorado for right-hander Chris Malone on Friday.
The Rockies, presumably, will stick Emaus at Triple-A Colorado Springs. Had they wanted him for the major league team, they could have simply claimed him off waivers from the Mets before he was returned to Toronto.
Now that Emaus is no longer on a 40-man roster, he can freely be assigned to the minors. The 25-year-old hit .162/.262/.162 in 37 at-bats for the Mets after winning the team’s second-base job in spring training. He was designated for assignment earlier this week when the team decided to instead go with Daniel Murphy and Justin Turner there.
In return for Emaus, the Jays pick up the 27-year-old Malone, who had allowed two earned runs over 4 1/3 innings as a reliever for Double-A Tulsa this season. He had a 4.10 ERA and a 45/27 K/BB ratio in 59 1/3 innings for Tulsa last year, but he is a strong groundball pitcher and the Jays must see something they think he can do better.
Emaus is further insurance for the Rockies in the infield in case they eventually opt to trade Jose Lopez or even Ian Stewart. He’ll likely play mostly second base for Colorado Springs initially.
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating 74
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 49
- Clayton Kershaw cleared to begin rehab assignment on Friday at High-A Rancho Cucamonga 2
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension 147
- Mark Trumbo diagnosed with stress fracture in foot 10
- Josh Lueke is a rapist. How often does that bear repeating? (200)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (183)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (169)
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension (146)
- Chipper Jones chimed in on the Carlos Gomez incident (111)