Apr 22, 2011, 6:13 PM EDT
Second baseman Brad Emaus, who was just returned from the Mets to the Blue Jays under the terms of his Rule 5 status, was traded from Toronto to Colorado for right-hander Chris Malone on Friday.
The Rockies, presumably, will stick Emaus at Triple-A Colorado Springs. Had they wanted him for the major league team, they could have simply claimed him off waivers from the Mets before he was returned to Toronto.
Now that Emaus is no longer on a 40-man roster, he can freely be assigned to the minors. The 25-year-old hit .162/.262/.162 in 37 at-bats for the Mets after winning the team’s second-base job in spring training. He was designated for assignment earlier this week when the team decided to instead go with Daniel Murphy and Justin Turner there.
In return for Emaus, the Jays pick up the 27-year-old Malone, who had allowed two earned runs over 4 1/3 innings as a reliever for Double-A Tulsa this season. He had a 4.10 ERA and a 45/27 K/BB ratio in 59 1/3 innings for Tulsa last year, but he is a strong groundball pitcher and the Jays must see something they think he can do better.
Emaus is further insurance for the Rockies in the infield in case they eventually opt to trade Jose Lopez or even Ian Stewart. He’ll likely play mostly second base for Colorado Springs initially.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 10
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 63
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 12
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 111
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 57
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (112)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (88)