Apr 22, 2011, 6:22 PM EDT
Scott Rolen is absent from Friday’s lineup and iffy for the weekend after receiving two cortisone injections for soreness in his left shoulder, the Cincinnati Enquirer reports.
“I kind of tracked it back to San Diego,” he said, referring to an April 11-13 series. “I don’t know if you guys have noticed, but I haven’t been excelling. I’m not pointing fingers but I’ve been struggling a bit with my shoulder seven to 10 days.”
Rolen is in a 4-for-29 slump that’s left him at .217/.246/.417 in 60 at-bats for the season. He drove in 10 runs in his first nine games but just two in seven games since.
Rolen had shoulder surgery in 2005 and has frequently dealt with soreness in the area since, though cortisone usually takes care of it. This time, the pain is spread out between his shoulder, neck and back. An MRI on his neck came back negative.
With Rolen absent, the Reds have Miguel Cairo starting at third base and batting seventh against the Cardinals tonight.
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 7
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 81
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 75
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 46
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 72
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 59
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (81)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)