Apr 23, 2011, 8:34 AM EDT
UPDATE: David O’Brien of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution reports that Jones is out of Saturday’s lineup.
8:34 AM: Chipper Jones has exceeded all expectations coming back from left knee surgery, batting .274/.341/.425 with two homers, five doubles and 14 RBI over his first 82 plate appearances. He has appeared in every game this season and even hit a key two-run double in the fourth inning of last night’s win over the Giants.
I’m convinced that Jones is a switch-hitting zombie at this point, but it has all seemed a bit too good to be true considering his recent history with injuries. And according to Mark Bowman of MLB.com, Jones is currently experiencing some pain in his right knee.
“I’ve got some pain in the lower inside of my knee that is preventing me from pushing off and cutting and stuff like that,” Jones said after Friday night’s 4-1 win over the Giants. “It’s just a really sharp pain. I don’t know why it’s doing it. But it’s been doing it for the past 10 days or so. I don’t know if it was the cold, but it was really pronounced tonight.”
Jones played the entirety of last night’s game, but told Braves manager Fredi Gonzalez that he might not be available to play this afternoon against Giants’ ace Tim Lincecum.
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 14
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 65
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 78
- MLB “actively studying” fan safety; Phillies plan to expand netting at Citizens Bank Park 28
- Marlins might move in and lower the fences at Marlins Park 26
- Astros beat the suddenly skidding Yankees, top last year’s win total 30
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week 134
- Joe Girardi would like Carlos Gomez to “play the game right” 90
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)
- Let’s all argue about team chemistry again (118)