Apr 23, 2011, 3:56 PM EDT
Young, who was placed on the disabled list last weekend with right biceps tendinitis, was cleared for the start after throwing 40 pitches in a bullpen session earlier today. He was immediately sent home due to a heavy cold, but is expected to be fine for Tuesday’s game. Dillon Gee, who started this afternoon’s game against the Diamondbacks, will likely be sent to the minor leagues.
The Mets took a chance this winter by signing the injury-prone Young to a one-year contract for a base salary of $1.1 million. He has a a 1.46 ERA and 12/6 K/BB ratio over his first two starts.
Mets starters have an ugly 5.13 ERA over the first 20 games of the season, good enough for 12th in the National League, though they’ve had some good performances by Gee, R.A. Dickey, Chris Capuano and Mike Pelfrey in the past week.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 0
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 19
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 25
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 48
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 136
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 88
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (136)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)