Apr 23, 2011, 2:28 PM EDT
Felipe Lopez was pulled from last night’s game against the Blue Jays after failing to run out a ground ball in the 11th inning. It’s the second time this week that Lopez didn’t hustle to first base.
Rays manager Joe Maddon tells Marc Topkin of the St. Petersburg Times that Lopez is benched for today’s game as a form of punishment, but that the matter is resolved.
“He was great,” Maddon said. “I explained to him everything, he understood, he was not upset. I just want him to understand that’s how we do things here, and I’ve talked to him about it before. For us to be repeat AL East champs we’ve got to play the game a certain way, and that’s it.”
This is actually the second time Lopez has been benched by Maddon. He also took a seat after flipping his bat in the direction of the mound following a home run off White Sox left-hander Chris Sale on April 9.
Lopez has a history of wearing out his welcome pretty much everywhere he goes, hence him being forced to take a minor league deal this winter, so it wouldn’t be a surprise if he gets the boot once Evan Longoria returns from the disabled list.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 35
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter passes Carl Yastrzemski for seventh on all-time hits list 53
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence 90
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 50
- Mariners’ interest in Matt Kemp is “very real” 29
- Astros players upset over Mark Appel’s promotion to Double-A, bullpen session in Houston 45
- Four theories about the Hall of Fame voting changes 24
- Troy Tulowitzki is visiting a sports hernia surgeon 10
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence (90)