Apr 23, 2011, 2:28 PM EST
Felipe Lopez was pulled from last night’s game against the Blue Jays after failing to run out a ground ball in the 11th inning. It’s the second time this week that Lopez didn’t hustle to first base.
Rays manager Joe Maddon tells Marc Topkin of the St. Petersburg Times that Lopez is benched for today’s game as a form of punishment, but that the matter is resolved.
“He was great,” Maddon said. “I explained to him everything, he understood, he was not upset. I just want him to understand that’s how we do things here, and I’ve talked to him about it before. For us to be repeat AL East champs we’ve got to play the game a certain way, and that’s it.”
This is actually the second time Lopez has been benched by Maddon. He also took a seat after flipping his bat in the direction of the mound following a home run off White Sox left-hander Chris Sale on April 9.
Lopez has a history of wearing out his welcome pretty much everywhere he goes, hence him being forced to take a minor league deal this winter, so it wouldn’t be a surprise if he gets the boot once Evan Longoria returns from the disabled list.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 87
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 163
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (163)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)