Apr 23, 2011, 2:28 PM EDT
Felipe Lopez was pulled from last night’s game against the Blue Jays after failing to run out a ground ball in the 11th inning. It’s the second time this week that Lopez didn’t hustle to first base.
Rays manager Joe Maddon tells Marc Topkin of the St. Petersburg Times that Lopez is benched for today’s game as a form of punishment, but that the matter is resolved.
“He was great,” Maddon said. “I explained to him everything, he understood, he was not upset. I just want him to understand that’s how we do things here, and I’ve talked to him about it before. For us to be repeat AL East champs we’ve got to play the game a certain way, and that’s it.”
This is actually the second time Lopez has been benched by Maddon. He also took a seat after flipping his bat in the direction of the mound following a home run off White Sox left-hander Chris Sale on April 9.
Lopez has a history of wearing out his welcome pretty much everywhere he goes, hence him being forced to take a minor league deal this winter, so it wouldn’t be a surprise if he gets the boot once Evan Longoria returns from the disabled list.
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 2
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 38
- Royals tab James Shields, Yordano Ventura to start first two games of World Series 1
- Brian Roberts is retiring 13
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? 119
- Video: Watch Travis Ishikawa’s pennant-winning homer 13
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer 79
- NLCS, Game 5: Cardinals vs. Giants lineups 30
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (119)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (94)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Andrew Friedman leaving the Rays to take over as Dodgers President of Baseball Operations (83)
- Quit making a big deal out of anomalies. Most of what happens is meaningless. (82)