Apr 23, 2011, 9:49 PM EDT
Mariners outfielder Franklin Gutierrez finally got some answers about his stomach problems this week after visiting Minnesota’s Mayo Clinic.
According to Mason Kelley of the Seattle Times, Gutierrez has been diagnosed with irritable bowel syndrome and has been prescribed medication that he can take before each meal to curb some of his digestive issues.
He should be able to begin working out again soon and will travel with the Mariners on their upcoming six-game road trip to Detroit and Boston.
“I’ve been having this a long time and nobody knew what I had, so knowing now this is what I have (and) can be treatable makes me feel better mentally and now I want to feel better physically, too, to get ready and be here again,” Gutierrez said. “It’s going to take time for the medicine to work. Let’s see how it goes.”
The M’s placed Gutierrez on the disabled list before Opening Day, so he’s eligible to return at any time. If the medication takes effect and he is able to get back in shape quickly, a late April return may still be possible.
- Edwin Encarnacion slugs three home runs as Blue Jays thrash Tigers 1
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 12
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 22
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 43
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 11
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 75
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 53
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 23
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (263)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)