Apr 23, 2011, 9:49 PM EDT
Mariners outfielder Franklin Gutierrez finally got some answers about his stomach problems this week after visiting Minnesota’s Mayo Clinic.
According to Mason Kelley of the Seattle Times, Gutierrez has been diagnosed with irritable bowel syndrome and has been prescribed medication that he can take before each meal to curb some of his digestive issues.
He should be able to begin working out again soon and will travel with the Mariners on their upcoming six-game road trip to Detroit and Boston.
“I’ve been having this a long time and nobody knew what I had, so knowing now this is what I have (and) can be treatable makes me feel better mentally and now I want to feel better physically, too, to get ready and be here again,” Gutierrez said. “It’s going to take time for the medicine to work. Let’s see how it goes.”
The M’s placed Gutierrez on the disabled list before Opening Day, so he’s eligible to return at any time. If the medication takes effect and he is able to get back in shape quickly, a late April return may still be possible.
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 58
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 74
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 68
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 99
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 7
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (99)
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (95)
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (91)