Apr 23, 2011, 9:49 PM EDT
Mariners outfielder Franklin Gutierrez finally got some answers about his stomach problems this week after visiting Minnesota’s Mayo Clinic.
According to Mason Kelley of the Seattle Times, Gutierrez has been diagnosed with irritable bowel syndrome and has been prescribed medication that he can take before each meal to curb some of his digestive issues.
He should be able to begin working out again soon and will travel with the Mariners on their upcoming six-game road trip to Detroit and Boston.
“I’ve been having this a long time and nobody knew what I had, so knowing now this is what I have (and) can be treatable makes me feel better mentally and now I want to feel better physically, too, to get ready and be here again,” Gutierrez said. “It’s going to take time for the medicine to work. Let’s see how it goes.”
The M’s placed Gutierrez on the disabled list before Opening Day, so he’s eligible to return at any time. If the medication takes effect and he is able to get back in shape quickly, a late April return may still be possible.
- Jenrry Mejia gets 162-game ban for second failed PED test 8
- Nationals, Phillies agree to Jonathan Papelbon trade 24
- The Hall of Fame just made a MAJOR change to the Hall of Fame voting process 63
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s 84
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 49
- The Troy Tulowitzki trade might be the strangest deadline deal ever 40
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects 90
- Alex Rodriguez celebrates 40th birthday with a home run 19
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- MLBPAA announces “Heart and Hustle” award, given mostly to Americans and white guys (131)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)