Apr 23, 2011, 7:04 PM EST
Players breaking news on Twitter is kind of a funny modern phenomenon.
Chris Sampson did just that on Saturday afternoon, announcing that he has reached agreement on a minor league contract with the Marlins.
The 32-year-old right-hander spent all of spring training with the Rockies but was cut just before Opening Day and took a few weeks off before finding work again. He will presumably report to the Marlins’ Triple-A affiliate in New Orleans and serve as organizational relief depth.
Sampson posted a rough 5.93 ERA and 1.68 WHIP across 32 appearances last season for the Astros, striking out only 16 and walking eight.
He has a 4.42 career ERA in five major league seasons.
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 76
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 42
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 24
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 144
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 26
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)