Apr 23, 2011, 7:04 PM EDT
Players breaking news on Twitter is kind of a funny modern phenomenon.
Chris Sampson did just that on Saturday afternoon, announcing that he has reached agreement on a minor league contract with the Marlins.
The 32-year-old right-hander spent all of spring training with the Rockies but was cut just before Opening Day and took a few weeks off before finding work again. He will presumably report to the Marlins’ Triple-A affiliate in New Orleans and serve as organizational relief depth.
Sampson posted a rough 5.93 ERA and 1.68 WHIP across 32 appearances last season for the Astros, striking out only 16 and walking eight.
He has a 4.42 career ERA in five major league seasons.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 22
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (83)