Apr 23, 2011, 7:04 PM EDT
Players breaking news on Twitter is kind of a funny modern phenomenon.
Chris Sampson did just that on Saturday afternoon, announcing that he has reached agreement on a minor league contract with the Marlins.
The 32-year-old right-hander spent all of spring training with the Rockies but was cut just before Opening Day and took a few weeks off before finding work again. He will presumably report to the Marlins’ Triple-A affiliate in New Orleans and serve as organizational relief depth.
Sampson posted a rough 5.93 ERA and 1.68 WHIP across 32 appearances last season for the Astros, striking out only 16 and walking eight.
He has a 4.42 career ERA in five major league seasons.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 37
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 41
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 55
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 56
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)