Apr 23, 2011, 10:11 AM EDT
Downs missed the first two weeks of the season because of a broken left big toe, so this is his second trip to the disabled list this season. He hasn’t pitched since April 13, so he’ll be eligible to return as soon as next weekend.
“It’s just taken him a while to shake this,” manager Mike Scioscia said. “He’s lost a lot of weight — nine or 10 pounds. If you do the math, he’s probably going to need three or four days to get where he needs to be. This gives him time to where he’s feeling good.”
Downs has tossed 1 2/3 scoreless innings over his first two appearances this season. The 35-year-old southpaw signed a three-year, $15 million contract with the Angels over the winter.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (133)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)