Apr 23, 2011, 10:11 AM EST
Downs missed the first two weeks of the season because of a broken left big toe, so this is his second trip to the disabled list this season. He hasn’t pitched since April 13, so he’ll be eligible to return as soon as next weekend.
“It’s just taken him a while to shake this,” manager Mike Scioscia said. “He’s lost a lot of weight — nine or 10 pounds. If you do the math, he’s probably going to need three or four days to get where he needs to be. This gives him time to where he’s feeling good.”
Downs has tossed 1 2/3 scoreless innings over his first two appearances this season. The 35-year-old southpaw signed a three-year, $15 million contract with the Angels over the winter.
- Report: Two agents rumbled in the parking lot at the Winter Meetings 20
- Mets sign 40-year-old Bartolo Colon for two years, $20 million 38
- MLB rules committee decides to eliminate collisions at home plate 45
- Mariners sign Corey Hart to incentive-laden deal 27
- David Price would not consider an extension with the Mariners if he’s traded there 35
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Managers, GMs to meet today to discuss the abolition of home plate collisions (113)