Apr 24, 2011, 3:04 PM EST
Scott Rolen‘s shoulder problems are back.
According to Reds beat writer Mark Sheldon of MLB.com, the veteran third baseman was placed on the disabled list on Sunday afternoon with a muscle strain in his left shoulder.
The Reds are hopeful that he will only need 15 days to recover, but Rolen is 36 years old with a long history of shoulder injuries. It could be a while.
Chris Valaika was recalled from Triple-A Louisville in a corresponding move to take Rolen’s roster spot, but it will be Juan Francisco and Miguel Cairo handling starting third base duties for the next few weeks.
Rolen has posted a .217/.246/.417 batting line, two home runs and 12 RBI through 65 plate appearances.
- UPDATE: Giants believe Hunter Pence suffered broken left forearm on hit-by-pitch 1
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 7
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 136
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 372
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (372)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (308)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (137)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (88)