Apr 24, 2011, 3:04 PM EDT
Scott Rolen‘s shoulder problems are back.
According to Reds beat writer Mark Sheldon of MLB.com, the veteran third baseman was placed on the disabled list on Sunday afternoon with a muscle strain in his left shoulder.
The Reds are hopeful that he will only need 15 days to recover, but Rolen is 36 years old with a long history of shoulder injuries. It could be a while.
Chris Valaika was recalled from Triple-A Louisville in a corresponding move to take Rolen’s roster spot, but it will be Juan Francisco and Miguel Cairo handling starting third base duties for the next few weeks.
Rolen has posted a .217/.246/.417 batting line, two home runs and 12 RBI through 65 plate appearances.
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 26
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 43
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 15
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 24
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- More drama in Miami: Marlins demote third base coach Brett Butler after “confusion” over signs 35
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)