Apr 24, 2011, 3:04 PM EDT
Scott Rolen‘s shoulder problems are back.
According to Reds beat writer Mark Sheldon of MLB.com, the veteran third baseman was placed on the disabled list on Sunday afternoon with a muscle strain in his left shoulder.
The Reds are hopeful that he will only need 15 days to recover, but Rolen is 36 years old with a long history of shoulder injuries. It could be a while.
Chris Valaika was recalled from Triple-A Louisville in a corresponding move to take Rolen’s roster spot, but it will be Juan Francisco and Miguel Cairo handling starting third base duties for the next few weeks.
Rolen has posted a .217/.246/.417 batting line, two home runs and 12 RBI through 65 plate appearances.
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 13
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 217
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 3
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 140
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 40
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 98
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 78
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (229)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (140)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)