Apr 24, 2011, 3:04 PM EDT
Scott Rolen‘s shoulder problems are back.
According to Reds beat writer Mark Sheldon of MLB.com, the veteran third baseman was placed on the disabled list on Sunday afternoon with a muscle strain in his left shoulder.
The Reds are hopeful that he will only need 15 days to recover, but Rolen is 36 years old with a long history of shoulder injuries. It could be a while.
Chris Valaika was recalled from Triple-A Louisville in a corresponding move to take Rolen’s roster spot, but it will be Juan Francisco and Miguel Cairo handling starting third base duties for the next few weeks.
Rolen has posted a .217/.246/.417 batting line, two home runs and 12 RBI through 65 plate appearances.
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow 17
- Yadier Molina to miss 8-12 weeks with a torn thumb ligament 29
- Carlos Beltran placed on concussion disabled list after batting practice mishap 16
- Derek Jeter is the most popular MLB jersey this year 16
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 52
- The Rockies “aren’t looking around very hard” for a trade of star shortstop Troy Tulowitzki 29
- Jury finds the Dodgers partially negligent, awards $18 million to Bryan Stow 48
- Masahiro Tanaka injured: Yankees ace to undergo an MRI exam on his right arm 60
- Shocker: the Red Sox publicly criticize A.J. Pierzynski after cutting him (186)
- John Lackey on Nelson Cruz: “Not even going to comment … I’ve got nothing to say about him” (143)
- The 2014 All-Star rosters have been announced (103)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (101)
- David Ortiz is not pleased that his name got pulled into the John Lackey-Nelson Cruz thing (99)