Apr 24, 2011, 1:02 PM EDT
The Yankees’ offseason signing of catcher Russell Martin didn’t draw a ton of media attention.
It wasn’t picked apart nor was it widely praised because … well … it seemed like a reasonable enough move. Martin would start behind the plate for a couple of months in New York while top prospect Jesus Montero could fit in a bit more marinating at Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre. It all made sense.
Then the season began. And Martin is flat-out raking.
The 28-year-old former Dodger slugged his sixth home run of the young season in Saturday’s 15-3 defeat of the Orioles and collected his 15th RBI. He is now sporting a .333/.410/.722 batting line through 61 plate appearances and has even swiped two stolen bases in two chances. Only Matt Kemp, Lance Berkman, Joey Votto, Troy Tulowitzki, Ryan Braun, Jose Bautista and Alex Rodriguez have swung the bat better.
Dabbling in small sample sizes is always problematic, but it’s not like Martin has been a dud at the plate his whole career. He was one of the game’s best offensive catchers before hip problems derailed him in 2009.
If Martin continues to make noise, perhaps the Yankees will postpone the Montero Era until 2012.
- David Price surrenders nine consecutive hits to the Yankees in the worst start of his career 4
- Video: Jorge Soler homers in his first major league at-bat 9
- Adam Wainwright has a “dead arm” 28
- HBT Daily: Alex Gordon and the Royals keep on rolling 12
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 42
- Mariners extend general manager Jack Zduriencik’s contract 14
- Money, money, money (and Bud Selig’s nirvana) 16
- These days, the correlation between payroll and winning is historically weak 61
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (143)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (91)