Apr 25, 2011, 9:57 AM EST
Last night we saw Albert Pujols walk off the field a tad gimpy after running out a grounder and subsequently leave the game early. Now we know what we had previously only suspected: he has a hamstring strain.
It’s being termed “mild,” so that’s good, but either way the Cardinals would be wise to let him sit for the upcoming series against the Astros. Sure, he’s essential, but unlike in past years, Tony La Russa has a plausible if only temporary replacement for Pujols at first base in Lance Berkman.
It looks like it will be a long and tough fight in the NL Central this year. Better to have the big guy healthy later even if it means resting him up now.
- Report: Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 21
- The Matt Kemp trade is expected to go down as planned 12
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 76
- What will the future of Cuban players in MLB look like? 25
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 29
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 97
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 15
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 46
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)