Apr 25, 2011, 6:15 PM EDT
The honeymoon is over.
Willie Bloomquist, who hit .394 with eight runs scored and six steals in his first seven games with the Diamondbacks, went on the disabled list Monday because of a strained hamstring suffered during Thursday’s game.
Veteran utilityman Josh Wilson was called up to replace him.
Bloomquist had been slumping of late anyway, going 6-for-29 with three runs scored since his fast start. The Diamondbacks are playing Gerardo Parra regularly in left field because of Bloomquist’s injury, and he’s responded by going 7-for-16 over the last four games.
When Bloomquist returns, it will probably be to a significantly lesser role. He spent the first week of the season replacing an injured Stephen Drew at shortstop, and the move to left came as a way to keep his hot bat in the lineup after Drew returned.
Somewhat disappointing is that the Diamondbacks didn’t use the opportunity to promote the red-hot Wily Mo Pena from Triple-A Reno. Pena, who has hit .420/.473/.820 with six homers in the early going, could have provided Parra with some serious competition in left. However, with Melvin Mora banged up and neither he nor Ryan Roberts able to function as much more than an emergency shortstop, another infielder was needed.
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 153
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 3
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 132
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 37
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 32
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 98
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 78
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (164)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (133)