Apr 25, 2011, 4:51 PM EST
That means Navarro will replace Ellis as Rod Barajas‘ backup behind the plate and … well, it sure seems like the Dodgers just got a little worse at catcher.
Ellis is a 30-year-old career minor leaguer with little power, so he hardly possesses superstar potential, but he’s gotten on base at a nice .346 clip in 160 plate appearances spread over various stints with the Dodgers, has a .398 OBP in the minors, and has thrown out 27 percent of steal attempts. In other words, he’s a very nice backup catcher.
Once upon a time Navarro was a top prospect and for a brief period he was actually a productive starting catcher for the Rays, but he’s been pretty terrible for quite a while now. Navarro hit .194 with a .528 OPS in 48 games last season and .218 with a .583 OPS in 115 games two seasons ago, and is a career .249 hitter with a .309 on-base percentage and .666 OPS.
Despite seemingly being around forever Navarro is actually still just 27 years old, so he might technically have more upside than the 30-year-old Ellis at this point, but neither of them are anyone’s idea of a long-term solution and right now Ellis seems like the better bet to provide some positive value playing a couple times per week in place of Barajas.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (134)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)