Apr 25, 2011, 5:32 PM EDT
For the last few years the All-Star Game host city has featured statues of some local symbol or icon plastered with MLB logos. The Statue of Liberty, the Gateway Arch, Mickey Mouse, etc. I’m still waiting for them to do it with a beer in Milwaukee, but I’m not holding my breath.
In the meantime we have Arizona this year, where they’ll make statues out of police officers demanding proof of citizenship from non-blond people.
I keed! It’s Cacti on Parade:
MLB has teamed up with licensee Forever Collectibles to design a series of MLB-themed cactus statues. A total of 10 statues in four different designs measuring seven and a half feet tall and weighing more than 700 pounds will be stationed at key locations around the greater Phoenix area.The statues will be uniquely decorated with bold graphics celebrating the 2011 All-Star Game, the D-backs and each of the 30 MLB clubs and the American and National Leagues. In addition, one of the statues will commemorate significant milestones in D-backs history.
I would have hoped that the statues would be bigger than seven and a half feet because, having spent 10 days in Phoenix over spring training, I discovered that absolutely no one walks in that city, so people will be buzzing by these things at 70 miles per hour.
As for the significant milestones in Dbacks history, One will obviously relate to the 2001 World Series. Another might be some major Randy Johnson accomplishment. Perhaps we’ll see one of A.J. Hinch, moments before the team revolt undermined his tenure as manager, some seventeen minutes into said tenure. I’ll defer to Dbacks fans for the others, but if we wait a few more weeks to paint these things, I’m sure one depicting Kirk Gibson killing someone with his bare hands will be appropriate.
Bring on the Cacti!
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 13
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 17
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 48
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 134
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 88
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (135)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)