Apr 25, 2011, 10:15 AM EDT
I suggested at the time that it probably wasn’t a great idea, since a) he played only 254 of 486 games the previous three seasons, and b) fans tend not to see a comment like that and think “you know, he’s right, let’s give him a break.”
And the whole thing looks especially silly now because Izturis was scratched from yesterday’s lineup with hamstring soreness.
Obviously a player sitting out a game with a minor injury isn’t usually noteworthy, but a player doing so a couple days after ripping his own team’s fans for questioning all the previous times he sat out more than one game with other injuries … well, that’s a slightly different story. To us ignorant people, it does seem like funny timing.
- Manny Machado could join the Orioles as soon as next weekend 3
- Michael Pineda suspended 10 games for “foreign substance” 45
- Doc Gooden calls B.S. on people saying pine tar is just to help pitchers get a grip on the ball 87
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating 126
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Josh Lueke is a rapist. How often does that bear repeating? (201)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (183)
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension (156)
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating (126)
- Chipper Jones chimed in on the Carlos Gomez incident (111)