Apr 25, 2011, 10:15 AM EDT
I suggested at the time that it probably wasn’t a great idea, since a) he played only 254 of 486 games the previous three seasons, and b) fans tend not to see a comment like that and think “you know, he’s right, let’s give him a break.”
And the whole thing looks especially silly now because Izturis was scratched from yesterday’s lineup with hamstring soreness.
Obviously a player sitting out a game with a minor injury isn’t usually noteworthy, but a player doing so a couple days after ripping his own team’s fans for questioning all the previous times he sat out more than one game with other injuries … well, that’s a slightly different story. To us ignorant people, it does seem like funny timing.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 84
- Jose Reyes is on track to be activated Friday 10
- Dustin Pedroia given cortisone injection for sore left wrist, aiming to return Wednesday 1
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists 223
- John Farrell to get fined for being critical of instant replay 53
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (223)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (129)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- We don’t need to celebrate Barry Bonds, but we should avoid whitewashing baseball history (122)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)