Apr 25, 2011, 10:15 AM EDT
I suggested at the time that it probably wasn’t a great idea, since a) he played only 254 of 486 games the previous three seasons, and b) fans tend not to see a comment like that and think “you know, he’s right, let’s give him a break.”
And the whole thing looks especially silly now because Izturis was scratched from yesterday’s lineup with hamstring soreness.
Obviously a player sitting out a game with a minor injury isn’t usually noteworthy, but a player doing so a couple days after ripping his own team’s fans for questioning all the previous times he sat out more than one game with other injuries … well, that’s a slightly different story. To us ignorant people, it does seem like funny timing.
- The dizzying intellect of Tom Glavine 4
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts 113
- Chase Headley plays the hero in his first game in pinstripes 20
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 25
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 18
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 29
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 108
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 39