Apr 25, 2011, 10:15 AM EST
I suggested at the time that it probably wasn’t a great idea, since a) he played only 254 of 486 games the previous three seasons, and b) fans tend not to see a comment like that and think “you know, he’s right, let’s give him a break.”
And the whole thing looks especially silly now because Izturis was scratched from yesterday’s lineup with hamstring soreness.
Obviously a player sitting out a game with a minor injury isn’t usually noteworthy, but a player doing so a couple days after ripping his own team’s fans for questioning all the previous times he sat out more than one game with other injuries … well, that’s a slightly different story. To us ignorant people, it does seem like funny timing.
- Rockies acquire Brett Anderson from A’s 11
- D’backs, Angels, White Sox agree to three-team Mark Trumbo deal 62
- Ranking MLB managers by . . . handsomeness 74
- Curtis Granderson: “A lot of people have told me real New Yorkers are Mets fans” 60
- The Phillies have told teams they’d trade Cliff Lee and Cole Hamels 53
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Robinson Cano “didn’t want to play” for Joe Girardi (110)