Major League Baseball appoints J. Thomas Schieffer “Monitor” of the Dodgers

Apr 25, 2011, 3:30 PM EST

Schieffer

I was wondering what the title of the person baseball chose to run the Dodgers would be. I liked “Lord Protector,” but figured that wouldn’t fly.  “Trustee” seemed cool, but that may suggest some legal duties to the team and its stakeholders that baseball would rather not have.

They have settled on “Monitor,” which is rather passive. But it’s also a “Crisis on Infinite Earths” shoutout, so that’s cool. Not that Bud Selig had that in mind because that would be too impossibly cool for words.

Anyway, here’s the official statement:

Baseball Commissioner Allan H. (Bud) Selig announced today that he has appointed J. Thomas Schieffer, the former president of the Texas Rangers, as the Monitor of the Los Angeles Dodgers franchise.  Schieffer will represent the Office of the Commissioner of Baseball in the oversight of the day-to-day operations, business and finances of the Dodgers and all of the franchise’s related entities.

Schieffer, an investor in the ownership group headed by George W. Bush and Rusty Rose that purchased the Rangers in 1989, was the club president from 1991-1999 and the franchise’s general partner from November 1994 until June 1998.  The Fort Worth native was the club’s partner in charge of ballpark development in advance of the 1994 opening of The Ballpark in Arlington.  The Rangers won their first three American League West titles (1996, 1998-1999) in club history in the years during Schieffer’s tenure.

I know some people wanted Peter O’Malley or someone with a history with the Dodgers to come on board, but that never made much sense.  The warm fuzzies the fans want have to come from the eventual long term owner, not the caretaker.  At the same time, baseball needs someone to make hard decisions and prepare the team for ultimate sale, and someone with a former connection to the team wouldn’t be the best choice.

For what it’s worth, Schieffer was the Ambassador to Japan and Australia during the Bush Administration. He is also the younger brother of Bob Schieffer of CBS News. For a time he was in the Texas gubernatorial race last year as a Democrat, which is strange considering how long he worked for Bush with both the Rangers and in government. But hey, strange bedfellows and all of that.

No matter what you can say about him, his resume suggests competence. And competence is something that the Los Angeles Dodgers desperately need.

1. cur68 - Apr 25, 2011 at 3:37 PM

I hope that he will cane McCourt for being incompetent, criminally negligent about security and stealing from the team. Literally cane him. In public.

2. Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Apr 25, 2011 at 3:45 PM

I assumed Bud was thinking of this guy when coming up with “Monitor”.

• jwbiii - Apr 25, 2011 at 4:01 PM

“Squeaky Marmot” would also be a good job title.

3. mvd513 - Apr 25, 2011 at 4:08 PM

So who’s Anti-Monitor? and for that matter who represents the Guardians on Oa? or Ray Palmer?

• Reflex - Apr 25, 2011 at 7:55 PM

Any reference to the original Crisis is awesome. Few combos were as good as Wolfman/Perez in the 80′s, although Levitz/Giffen on LSH is a very close second in my book….

4. lbehrendt - Apr 25, 2011 at 4:26 PM

Worst. Job title. Ever. Connotes some 10 year old with a pocket protector checking hall passes.

At Dodger Stadium, I can see them quaking in their boots. Heads up, everyone! Here comes “Flat Panel”. Look sharp people! Here comes “Christian Science”.

5. IdahoMariner - Apr 25, 2011 at 4:36 PM

“Monitor lizards are usually large reptiles, although some can be as small as 12 centimeters in length. They have long necks, powerful tails and claws, and well-developed limbs. Monitor lizards differ greatly from other lizards in several ways, possessing a relatively high metabolic rate for reptiles and several sensory adaptations that benefit the hunting of live prey.”

Maybe it’s an awesome name…..

• Old Gator - Apr 25, 2011 at 11:33 PM

As the proud owner of several monitor lizards, I can vouch for that. My pair of Australian ridge-tailed monitors, Voss and Trev, are my pride and joy second only to Friendo, but I will always remember Sukarno, my Indonesian water monitor, who got so big in six years that I had to give him to a zoo – he could put away three or four large cans of dog food at a sitting and would happily have put the dog away too if I’d let him. I also fondly recall Nasser, my Nile Monitor, who didn’t get quite as big but, like most Niles, was psychotic from birth and had to be traded for a baby ball python morph.

Incidentally, anything you want to know about the large feral populations of monitor lizards in Florida, you can find out by referencing my extensive “Guide to the Feral Monitor Lizards of Florida” which appeared here on this blog in February of 2010. I covered Nile, savannah and water (or “salvador”) monitors in depth. Craig might know how to fish it up for you.

6. leftywildcat - Apr 25, 2011 at 8:37 PM

Since the Dodgers now have a Monitor, will the players’ association get a Merrimack?

• jwbiii - Apr 25, 2011 at 8:49 PM

The Twins have him.

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (5033)