Shocker: Elijah Dukes arrested again

Apr 25, 2011, 10:30 AM EDT

Washington Nationals Photo Day Getty Images

It’s been over a year since he last wore a major league baseball uniform so we’re probably at the point where a story about Elijah Dukes getting arrested is less about a ballplayer in trouble with the law than it is about a criminal who happened to once play ball.  Still, for old times sake:

Troubled former Tampa Bay Rays player Elijah Dukes has been charged in Florida with driving with a suspended or revoked driver’s license. Officials say the 26-year-old Dukes was arrested Sunday afternoon on an exit ramp of Interstate 75 near Tampa. Hillsborough County Jail records show he was released Sunday on a $250 bond.

Suspended license? It’s like he’s not even trying anymore. Dukes’ crimes used to be so much more ugly and require so much more criminal intent than this. A suspended license is just plain laziness.  He’s become a shell of his former self.

If Dukes wants to be relevant in his chosen field again, he’s really going to have to raise the stakes. Elijah: have you considered light treason?

1. Old Gator - Apr 25, 2011 at 10:49 AM

He should be offered voluntary sterilization, so that when he rapes someone he won’t be spreading his chromosomes for sociopathy and sheer unvarnished idiocy to the rest of the gene pool. If he declines, they should just cut his balls off.

2. ezwriter69 - Apr 25, 2011 at 10:58 AM

And other than being a black man driving an expensive car in Tampa, he was stopped for????? Obviously not a traffic offense, or he’d have been charged with that too…
    That said, this dude needs a brain transplant.

• Jonny 5 - Apr 25, 2011 at 11:38 AM

Maybe for having his license suspended???? I borrowed my friend’s truck once a while back and was pulled over because his license was suspended. When I asked “WHY” I was pulled over, he said “you’re driving a vehicle registered to someone with a suspended license”. I’m glad I’m not a cop just because being labeled as racist or profiling every time I snag a person of color would wear my patience thin.

• clydeserra - Apr 25, 2011 at 3:49 PM

This doesn’t sound right. What you are saying may be true, but it takes a lot of work to go from A-b-c on that one. First the licence plate has to be run, then the registered owner has to be identified as a having a suspended licence.

Again, I am not doubting your story, it just sounds like either your state has invested a ton of money into its state wide enforcement databases, or the cop was making an excuse after the fact.

As far as Dukes is concerned, there are many reasons he may have been pulled over, starting from a weave in the lane, to speeding. Also DWB is a possibility. but that ‘s for his attorney.

• Utley's Hair - Apr 25, 2011 at 11:53 AM

Last I heard, driving with a suspended license is a traffic offense, so there’s that.

But, most traffic offenses are not arrestable offenses, so, he would not be charged with them—just ticketed or cited.

• Old Gator - Apr 25, 2011 at 2:54 PM

The technical term for the offense you describe is “DWB.”

• xmatt0926x - Apr 25, 2011 at 4:03 PM

ez, your response is typical of the “they are picking on me again” attitude that is usually at the root of the problem for people like Dukes. Before assuming that he did nothing to be pulled over make sure you know that to be true before playing the tired old race card. Sure, maybe he was pulled over for “driving while black”. It does happen. But with this clowns sordid history can’t we just as well assume that he did in fact do something stupid to be pulled over? If all we can do is make a guess either way I’m betting on him doing something dumb as all pathetic , excuse-making hoods like him are inclined to do. Don’t worry though. I’m sure the race card is being drawn up as we speak. I hear Gary Sheffield and Milton Bradley are his legal representation.

3. jhorton83 - Apr 25, 2011 at 10:59 AM

This is about as shocking as Lenny Dykstra being in legal trouble again.

4. BC - Apr 25, 2011 at 11:32 AM

This guy is bad news. He’ll either be in jail or dead by the time he’s 35.

• Utley's Hair - Apr 25, 2011 at 11:48 AM

Or somebody else will be as a result of his actions.

5. educateyourselfb4speaking - Apr 25, 2011 at 12:30 PM

@Utley’s hair-actually driving on a suspended license is a misdemeanor offense; third time is a felony and they are arrestable offenses and if a judge chooses you can do time in jail for it.

• Utley's Hair - Apr 25, 2011 at 12:50 PM

Okay. Nice handle, whoever you are. If your name is intended to call me out on my comment, you might want to change it to readtheoriginalpostb4replying.

I said that driving with a suspended license is a traffic offense—which it is. I said that in response to a comment claiming that he was not pulled over for a traffic offense. Was I incorrect? No.

I also said that most traffic offenses are not arrestable offenses. I did not say that driving with a suspended license was or was not an arrestable offense. Generally when people are arrested after being pulled over for traffic offenses, it is in response to something else, like DUI, not subjecting to a breathalyzer, drugs, resisting, heads rolling around in the back seat, etc.

Managers get easier path to Cooperstown
  1. H. Street (3997)