Apr 25, 2011, 2:35 PM EDT
A headline like that suggests that there’s something juicy there. More juicy than the rumored displeasure Greenberg’s seemingly over-the-top courting of Cliff Lee was following the Winter Meetings, which was cited back when Greenberg stepped down.
Actually, no: as Barry Shlachter reports in the Star-Telegram, it was really just a matter of personality clashes between Greenberg, Ryan and Jon Daniels, combined with Greenberg’s failure to make some meetings with advertisers during spring training. Added to it: Greenberg’s highest and best uses — navigating the team through the bankruptcy and sale drama last year and then securing the big TV deal they just got — are now in the rear view mirror, and that his personality just doesn’t mesh with those who are tasked with the more day-to-day aspects of running a team.
I kind of hope none of this is true, actually. It would be way better if there was a scandal or high drama involved because that kind of stuff is fun. Sadly, however, it seems we don’t have it.
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 127
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 3
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 132
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 37
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 32
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 78
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (137)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (132)