Apr 25, 2011, 2:35 PM EDT
A headline like that suggests that there’s something juicy there. More juicy than the rumored displeasure Greenberg’s seemingly over-the-top courting of Cliff Lee was following the Winter Meetings, which was cited back when Greenberg stepped down.
Actually, no: as Barry Shlachter reports in the Star-Telegram, it was really just a matter of personality clashes between Greenberg, Ryan and Jon Daniels, combined with Greenberg’s failure to make some meetings with advertisers during spring training. Added to it: Greenberg’s highest and best uses — navigating the team through the bankruptcy and sale drama last year and then securing the big TV deal they just got — are now in the rear view mirror, and that his personality just doesn’t mesh with those who are tasked with the more day-to-day aspects of running a team.
I kind of hope none of this is true, actually. It would be way better if there was a scandal or high drama involved because that kind of stuff is fun. Sadly, however, it seems we don’t have it.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 7
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 81
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)