Apr 25, 2011, 2:35 PM EDT
A headline like that suggests that there’s something juicy there. More juicy than the rumored displeasure Greenberg’s seemingly over-the-top courting of Cliff Lee was following the Winter Meetings, which was cited back when Greenberg stepped down.
Actually, no: as Barry Shlachter reports in the Star-Telegram, it was really just a matter of personality clashes between Greenberg, Ryan and Jon Daniels, combined with Greenberg’s failure to make some meetings with advertisers during spring training. Added to it: Greenberg’s highest and best uses — navigating the team through the bankruptcy and sale drama last year and then securing the big TV deal they just got — are now in the rear view mirror, and that his personality just doesn’t mesh with those who are tasked with the more day-to-day aspects of running a team.
I kind of hope none of this is true, actually. It would be way better if there was a scandal or high drama involved because that kind of stuff is fun. Sadly, however, it seems we don’t have it.
- Rangers “now clear-cut favorites” for Cole Hamels 8
- Not so fast! Dodgers-Marlins trade for Mat Latos “could be falling apart” 55
- The Tigers are going to “reboot;” plan to trade Price and Cespedes 50
- Why do managers wear uniforms anyway? 46
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Astros “making a strong effort” for Phillies ace Cole Hamels 32
- Angels acquire outfielders David Murphy and David DeJesus 24
- Jenrry Mejia gets 162-game ban for second failed PED test 53
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)