Apr 25, 2011, 2:35 PM EDT
A headline like that suggests that there’s something juicy there. More juicy than the rumored displeasure Greenberg’s seemingly over-the-top courting of Cliff Lee was following the Winter Meetings, which was cited back when Greenberg stepped down.
Actually, no: as Barry Shlachter reports in the Star-Telegram, it was really just a matter of personality clashes between Greenberg, Ryan and Jon Daniels, combined with Greenberg’s failure to make some meetings with advertisers during spring training. Added to it: Greenberg’s highest and best uses — navigating the team through the bankruptcy and sale drama last year and then securing the big TV deal they just got — are now in the rear view mirror, and that his personality just doesn’t mesh with those who are tasked with the more day-to-day aspects of running a team.
I kind of hope none of this is true, actually. It would be way better if there was a scandal or high drama involved because that kind of stuff is fun. Sadly, however, it seems we don’t have it.
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 58
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 17
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 99
- Steven Matz stellar on the mound — and at the plate — in his major league debut for the Mets 19
- The 2015 Gillette Home Run Derby will have a new format 32
- Meet the Matz! The Mets call up Steven Matz to make his MLB debut 11
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 23
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (108)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (79)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)