Who is the most hated player in your team’s history?

Apr 25, 2011, 4:00 PM EDT

John Rocker

I try to ac-cent-u-ate the positive and e-lim-i-nate the negative as much as possible, but it’s a long baseball season so it’s easy to get negative.

I tend to get the most negative about my own team when they’re not playing well. Oh, if you could take a man’s life for the thoughts that’s in his head I’d have been on that execution line many a times over the past 25 years. Between Robert Fick and Lonnie Smith I’m surprised I’m still living.

Jim Moore over at the Seattle Post-Intelligencer goes through the exercise with respect to the Mariners today, trying to figure out who the most hated Mariner of all time is.  He settles on Bobby Ayala but thinks that Chone Figgins is closing fast. Only Mariners fans can judge, though, because such assessments are inherently subjective. Only fans of a given team can speak to who that team’s most hated player is. Those on the outside just can’t understand.

I don’t know who the Braves’ most hated player is. Robert Fick was only there a year, but I truly hated him. It’s not Lonnie Smith. He was actually the only good player they had for a while there and I think people forgive him for his World Series (and other) transgressions. It might be John Rocker, but I bet that’s more because he embarrassed Braves fans more than he was actually hated, because he pitched pretty well while with the Braves.  I have to give it some thought.

In the meantime, what say you?  Who is the most hated player in your team’s history? Or at least recent history.  Show your work, please.

218 Comments (Feed for Comments)
  1. hankg42 - Apr 25, 2011 at 4:11 PM

I guess in recent history for the Yankees it may be Ed Whitson. But so many people hate so many Yankees…

• mattraw - Apr 25, 2011 at 4:21 PM

I’m gonna guess the percentage of Mets fans who would cite Bobby Bonilla would top any other individual player.

2. Paul White - Apr 25, 2011 at 4:12 PM

Red Sox fans probably hate Roger Clemens more than any other player, based on how he left town and all that’s transpired in recent years. But none of that happened while he was actually part of the team. For a player who was hated while actually part of the team, I’d go with Carl Everett, but good cases can be made for a lot of guys.

3. rollinghighwayblues - Apr 25, 2011 at 4:13 PM

My most hated Red Sox player is without a doubt Brad Penny. An ERA of 5.61 over 24 starts is pretty pathetic for a man getting paid $5M for the year. I guess thats what happens when you try to muscle 93mph fastballs past MLB hitters and leave them around the belt.

• Joe - Apr 25, 2011 at 4:15 PM

Ooh, good one. And he didn’t totally suck after he left, which is even worse.

• rollinghighwayblues - Apr 25, 2011 at 4:30 PM

Exactly. He comes to Boston and totally blows it then goes to San Fran and posts a 2.59 ERA with a 4-1 record. I know we can dissect AL vs NL hitting all day but it’s frustrating as a fan to watch a one time solid pitcher totally implode.

4. Joe - Apr 25, 2011 at 4:14 PM

Boston Red Sox: hmmmm – we Sox fans can turn on a dime. I’d like to say JD Drew or Dice-K, but maybe it’s Manny. For a while there in 2004 it was Nomar. It was Carl Crawford for a couple of days last week, now maybe it’s Saltalamacchia. Lackey’s off the schneid for the moment, I believe.

Roger Clemens is Evil Incarnate. Billy Buckner? No, we forgave him after 2004, but we’re still pissed at Calvin Schiraldi. We still hate Johnny Damon. And nobody can stand Mark Bellhorn, he took too many goddamn pitches!

Larry Anderson cost us Jeff Bagwell, but we’d probably hate Bagwell now because his forearms are too big. Going back further, Pesky held the ball, but we still love him. Maybe Babe Ruth because he put that curse on us?

Personally, I can’t stand Stan Papi.

• Joe - Apr 25, 2011 at 4:16 PM

I forgot to add Julio Lugo here. Overpaid asshole who wasn’t Orlando Cabrera or Alex Gonzalez! Edgar Renteria falls in the same category.

• bosfaninva - Apr 25, 2011 at 4:36 PM

How about total bust Jack Clark? I hated that guy.

• fanoredsox - Apr 25, 2011 at 5:38 PM

WADE (I WENT TO THE SKANKIES) BOGGS! There will be a special place in hell for him and that horse!

5. The Common Man/www.platoonadvantage.com - Apr 25, 2011 at 4:16 PM

Hated, you say? Twins fans would like to introduce you to Mr. Chuck Knoblauch. He signed a huge extension with the Twins, making him among the highest paid players in the game, and demanded to be traded before the next season was even finished. When he returned as a leftfielder in 2000, the otherwise polite and pleasant Twins fans showered him with batteries and other trash.

What fans tended to forget is the Twins managed to get Eric Milton and Christian Guzman for him. Ultimately, for Knoblauch, the Twins got 6 years of Guzman, 6 years of Milton, and 2.5 years of Brian Buchanan. Then, they got Jason Bartlett for three years in a trade for Buchanan, four years of Carlos Silva and seven years of Nick Punto for Milton, and Brian drafted Brian Duensing as compensation for losing Guzman to free agency.

So even though Knoblauch led to Buchanan who led to Bartlett who, ultimately, led to Delmon Young, I have a hard time hating him. He’s obnoxious, but he’s also a sad little man at this point.

• kirkmack - Apr 25, 2011 at 4:21 PM

I don’t think people hated him until after he left though. His last season he may have stopped hustling, but I don’t think people really cared, since the Twins sucked pretty badly by then.

• The Common Man/www.platoonadvantage.com - Apr 25, 2011 at 4:37 PM

That’s a valid point. If we’re going solely by the time the player was with the team, I’m guessing it’s probably Ron Davis.

• seels58 - Apr 26, 2011 at 7:40 AM

Far and away it is Ron Davis, with Tommy Herr a distant second. The sad part is I watch the Mets all the time and I really want to like Ike Davis …but knowing who his father is i just can’t do it.

6. megary - Apr 25, 2011 at 4:17 PM

Clearly it has to be Jose Mesa for Game 7 against the Marlins. Though I’m not very fond of Tony Fernandez either, for the same game.

7. Lukehart80 - Apr 25, 2011 at 4:18 PM

Jose Mesa.

Logically I am able to acknowledge that he was the best closer the Indians have had since I’ve been a fan and that he was absolute dynamite for a while. Logically I know that one appearance should not overrule everything else he did for the team.

With the exception of a few teams though, logic is going to go out the window when answering this question, and I just cannot forget Game 7.

8. b7p19 - Apr 25, 2011 at 4:18 PM

Off the top of my head (which is usually the best way to judge something like hate), I would have to say Rueben Rivera and Sean Burroughs are in a dead heat for my Padres. Both are nominated here based on failed expectations. Nothing pisses me off more than listening to players get built up for 4 years, reach the majors, and totally fail. Rivera was once compared to Mickey Mantle by more than one writer in the media….

• micker716 - Apr 25, 2011 at 4:22 PM

The player who would elicit the most reaction is probably Kevin Brown. Yeah, without him the Padres don’t get to the series in ’98, but then, after claiming he wanted to play close to home, he signed with the (gasp) Dodgers. The fact that he pretty much tanked on that long term deal and the Pads haven’t really been close to a pennant since 1998 have probably softened most have that emotion, but I remember him coming back to pitch in 1999 and there being a lot of raw hatred directed at the guy. His charming personality didn’t help. Personally Phil Nevin always annoyed the crap out of me. The guy is still whining about the dimensions at Petco.

• b7p19 - Apr 25, 2011 at 4:32 PM

Kevin Brown is an interesting one. I just have a hard time hating anyone from that team. The only hate I can muster from ’98 is for the umpire that didn’t ring up Tino Martinez. One guy I forgot about is Ludwick. He’s working his way up the list. I say they make the playoffs last year without that trade. Add that to the beginning of this year and he’s in the running.

• dprat - Apr 26, 2011 at 4:15 AM

Padres: in reverse order…
      3) the two-headed whiny bitch named Nevin/Klesko when Petco opened;
      2) though he never made it to the majors (and though the real hate should be for the Padres brass who decided to make him the number #1 pick), Matt Bush; and,
      1) without a doubt, the blasphemer and prick extraordinaire Jack Clark, for leading the cabal that hung Saint Anthony the Gwynn in effigy.

9. Jack Marshall - Apr 25, 2011 at 4:18 PM

Assuming that a player who is hated after he leaves a team doesn’t count (because he shouldn’t), I’d say the most hated Boston Red Sox player was late-50′s-early ’60′s era shortstop Don Buddin, who was booed unmercifully in his tenure until he was traded for Eddie Bressoud, who was (rightly) well liked by fans. The most hated player anyone remembers was probably Mike Torrez…and even he wasn’t really hated: he was a nice guy. Bostonians reserve their real hate for managers: Don Zimmer and Grady Little top the list.

10. kirkmack - Apr 25, 2011 at 4:18 PM

Really want to say Nick Punto is the Twins most hated player, but if you went to a Twins game while he was there, for every boo, there was a cheer from the stands.

I am actually go to the wayback machine and say Ron Davis.

11. Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Apr 25, 2011 at 4:18 PM

This picture reminds me, that yes, Rocker is my most hated Brave of all time. He was a douchenozzle before they were, um, popular. That’s all the work I need to show.

12. paperlions - Apr 25, 2011 at 4:19 PM

Cardinals – Gary Templeton

• spudchukar - Apr 25, 2011 at 4:42 PM

No matter what I cannot hate Gary Templeton. His trade bait prowess proved to get Ozzie. I will always owe him for that. Plus he was nice to me when we briefly played together.

• addictedzone - Apr 25, 2011 at 4:46 PM

If I ain’t startin, I ain’t departin….He should be the Padres most hated player because without Templeton the Padres would have had 19 years of Ozzie.

13. tartan1 - Apr 25, 2011 at 4:20 PM

Reds:

Corey Patterson and/or Eric Milton. Corey Patterson’s really isn’t his fault, but lord did I hate him. Eric Milton is entirely his own fault.

• mvd513 - Apr 25, 2011 at 4:25 PM

Really? I was thinking Dunner cuz everyone’s stupid and bitches too much about strikeouts. But yeah, Milton was horrible.

• tartan1 - Apr 25, 2011 at 4:31 PM

I can remember after Milton first start of 2007 going 5 2/3 IP with 10 H and 4 ER with the radio guys debating whether it was a good start for Milton or not. One guy thought he looked great. I hated Eric Milton and that $25M he got.

I fear people are going to say Dunner, EEE or somebody like that. I liked those guys.

I’m reserving the right to change my answer if the Reds sign Yadier Molina. He and his neck tattoos will instantly become the most hated Red.

14. tomrogers8120 - Apr 25, 2011 at 4:20 PM

Most hated Cub: Dave Kingman. Opted to pick up a few bucks on a boat ride rather than attend Dave Kingman T-shirt Day at Wrigley.

• jwbiii - Apr 25, 2011 at 4:56 PM

Ron Davis and Mel Rojas in short stints. Ron Davis was a real jerk (here’s hoping the acorn was transported far from the tree by a passing squirrel, Mets fans). Don’t know much anything about Rojas’ personality.

• thebigwhitecat - Apr 25, 2011 at 5:20 PM

Kingman wore out his welcome with the Cubs at the end of his stay there. I think most Cub fans have fond memories of Kingman.

Todd Hundley and Milton Bradley never had welcomes. Candy Maldonado got booed mercilessly by the Wrigley faithful in his short time as a Cub, too.

15. cur68 - Apr 25, 2011 at 4:20 PM

Hard to hate a Blue Jay. Hell I even liked Jeff Kent when he was with the team and NOBODY likes Jeff; even Jeff don’t like Jeff! If I had to pick, though, I always felt Roger Clemens was an arrogant a-hole who loved himself above all others and never failed to put the ‘i’ in team when he was with the Jays. So he gets my vote as the Blue Jay I disliked the most. Although, if Mike McCoy doesn’t do something with his bat except wave it at pitchers I’m gonna descend on him like a wolf on the fold.

• proudlycanadian - Apr 25, 2011 at 5:21 PM

It is between Clemens and Burnett although Arod tops my list of opponents.

• cur68 - Apr 25, 2011 at 5:32 PM

I second ARod for current opponents but I think all time; Dykstra. I was SOOO happy when we denied him the chance to get his greasy baccy stained mitts on the trophy, ha, ha! Consequently this is why Mitch Williams is my favorite player on an opposing team from that time. He threw great sliders, didn’t he?

• cshearing - Apr 26, 2011 at 10:15 AM

I’d go with Al Leiter. The Jays put up with his blister problems for years, never getting anything out of him. He finally overcomes that, and as repayment asks to be shipped out of town. Never sat right with me.

16. itripledogdareyou - Apr 25, 2011 at 4:21 PM

As a Dodger fan, I gotta go with Milton Bradley… throwing water bottles and cursing your own fans won’t win you any popularity contests.
    BEST TRADE EVER to get rid of him and get Andre Ethier.

• losburrosinblue - Apr 25, 2011 at 4:27 PM

Agreed, Milton Bradley takes it. Must give dishonorable mention to Jeff Kent, though.

• clydeserra - Apr 25, 2011 at 5:15 PM

I think a better substation by addition example for the dodgers is Delino Deshields. Cost you pre expos Pedro Martinez.

Plus Ethier is a DH, so he isn’t helping as much as he should.

• itripledogdareyou - Apr 25, 2011 at 5:52 PM

clyde- DeShields was certainly disliked but it took a couple years after that trade before Pedro became a dominant pitcher – because of that, I think there was a disconnect between losing Martinez for DeShields with many fans. Jose Offerman, DeShields DP partner was at least equally disliked as DeShields, but then again the early 90′s were rough on fans in general.

Ethier is a DH with LA? “he isn’t helping as much as he should”?
        Perhaps you aren’t aware of his current 21-game hitting streak…

• clydeserra - Apr 25, 2011 at 6:07 PM

Perhaps you are unaware that in the national league players that hit regularly need to play defense. Something that Ethier is really bad at.

As for deshileds, he was routinely booed in LA, during his tenure. Further, he put up 1.5 WAR in his first season in LA, after back to back 4 WAR years with the Expos. Pedro Martinez put up over three WAR every year in Montreal. Sure, he got stupid good a few years after that but only Tommy Lasorda was dumb enough to think he shouldn’t be tried as a starter.

• itripledogdareyou - Apr 25, 2011 at 6:56 PM

While Ethier isn’t the best fielder in the league, he’s at least above average clyde. He was tied for the highest fielding percentage for RF in MLB (4th highest of all outfielders) and committed only one error last year. He also rarely makes mental mistakes, something that is my personal pet peeve for outfielders..hello Manny Ramirez.
        As far as DeShields being booed…the entire teams were so bad, its hard to pin-point who fans were booing. Most fans don’t analyze WAR, although its a useful statistic. What they do remember is reprehensible behavior, pretentiousness and arrogance. In other words, Milton Bradley.

• clydeserra - Apr 25, 2011 at 9:58 PM

What I am saying about desheids is he was not liked immediately because he had a terrible first year. He was supposed to be great like he had been in Montreal and he wasn’t. The kicker was it cost the Dodgers Pedro. Who out performed Desheilds every year.

Ethier is a side note, without getting to far afield, he is a terrible terrible defender. The reason he doesn’t make many errors is that he can’t get to any balls. Every defensive measure like total zone and UZR have him way way below average. The thing is he is going to cash in on a big contract because of his good offense. And his defense will soon cost what ever team any benefit it derives form his bat.

• tomemos - Apr 25, 2011 at 5:16 PM

Bradley is the most hated player of about eight teams now.

• clydeserra - Apr 25, 2011 at 5:21 PM

Is that how many places he has been?

I cannot believe he got through spring training with Eric Wedge

17. alang3131982 - Apr 25, 2011 at 4:22 PM

Armando Benitez for the Orioles

• daspyknows - Apr 25, 2011 at 5:59 PM

Armando Benitez is a two-fer loser. He tops the Giants list although some other candidate are

AJ Pierczynski,
      Jose Cruz Jr (one play carried alot of weight)

• goawaydog - Apr 25, 2011 at 11:55 PM

I second the vote for Armando Benitez, i still hate that guy.

18. largebill - Apr 25, 2011 at 4:22 PM

If we think about it most fans will harbor the most anger at a reliever. Nature of that job as any bad day usually leads to a team loss. As an Indians fan I don’t think I hate any past players. If anything I somewhat resent the various wash up former “stars” who would come to Cleveland over the years for a decent free agent contract and then give no effort. Keith Hernandez is probably the worst of the bunch (though Jack Morris is probably a close second). In Cleveland, we save our real hatred for ownership and GM’s. I don’t think I’ve had a conversation in the last decade with my brother that hasn’t ended in him arguing how bad Shapiro has done as GM. Frank Lane’s name still leads to cursing in Cleveland area bars. Speaking positively about Art Modell is reason for an @$$-whooping.

19. Mike Luna - Apr 25, 2011 at 4:22 PM

Rangers: A-Rod.

Not even close.

• cjasfenton - Apr 25, 2011 at 5:09 PM

Was trying to think of the next Ranger after ARod and I’m having trouble coming up with someone. I know there was a lot of anti-Kevin Brown mojo for a while, but that didn’t come anywhere near the ARod hatred.

20. sometimesphylan - Apr 25, 2011 at 4:23 PM

I think Phillie fans would be unanimous in answering Joe Mulvey. .497 OPS in 1888. Christ.

21. Jonny 5 - Apr 25, 2011 at 4:23 PM

For the Phills..

I have a short list.

Childhood memories worst ever : Steve Jeltz. Even as a kid I knew he sucked, and I hated him every time he came up to bat.

Recent history worst ever: Adam Eaton. He was completely worthless as a Phillie, even though he was being paid to be much more than that.

• Phillies Homer - Apr 25, 2011 at 4:29 PM

Ha… Adam Eaton!! Good one and I’d have to agree with that!

• b7p19 - Apr 25, 2011 at 4:41 PM

You guys can do better than that. Steve Jeltz can’t win this honor because he had a kickin j-curl. Adam Eaton is interesting, but how can you lose the most games in the history of the league and come up with Adam Eaton and Steve Jeltz?

• Utley's Hair - Apr 25, 2011 at 4:51 PM

Lovable losers? Or how about repression? Freddie Garcia is also on that list, what with his $10m win and all.

• Jonny 5 - Apr 26, 2011 at 8:31 AM

Because I’m not 100 years old. Yet. I can’t lay the hate (which I’m using very loosely btw) on guys that played before I knew what a baseball is. Jeltz may not even deserve it (yeah,he does), but I just remember him being the pinnacle of suck-dome when I was a kid. Maybe he should be on the worst players ever list and not hate??? Naaa, I hated his poor defense and the fact that pitchers had better at bats, Jeltz sucked and probably shouldn’t have even made the Major leagues!!

• b7p19 - Apr 25, 2011 at 4:45 PM

Desi Relaford?

• Utley's Hair - Apr 25, 2011 at 5:18 PM

If we’re going to post-stint hatred, Billy Wagner would be on the list. And Scott Rolen was campaigning for inclusion, also. And Curt Schilling? Dick Allen was/is not too popular with some folks, either, but that’s another issue.

• troke26 - Apr 27, 2011 at 3:52 AM

I quit playing little league because I got stuck with Mike Mimbs #45, so he gets my vote. I wanted Jeff Judens sweet #43 but it was too small. Pretty forgettable (like most Phils pitchers in the mid 90s) for someone without a vendetta against him to recall. But I hope the rest of his life has been filled pain and sorrow, followed by brief periods of hope so he doesn’t kill himself, then more agony. David Bell and Pat “the bat” Burrell tie for second, the only two players I paid to go heckle. I know Burrell is supposed to be some hero now because he helped win a ring, but I’m thrilled we don’t have to watch him take three strikes down the middle of the plate without swinging.

22. Utley's Hair - Apr 25, 2011 at 4:25 PM

I would say—at least in recent history—Adam Eaton was the biggest waste of red pinstripes.

• mikedi33 - Apr 26, 2011 at 1:35 AM

Not recent but Dick Allen. Got kicked off the team twice. Adam Eaton for this century.

23. Mac Thomason - Apr 25, 2011 at 4:25 PM

A lot of Braves fans always hated Jeff Blauser for some reason. I’d go with Mike Hampton.

• clydeserra - Apr 25, 2011 at 5:16 PM

As would the rockies

24. yashraba - Apr 25, 2011 at 4:29 PM

Most hated recent Yankee:

Carl Pavano. 26 starts over 3 seasons with an ERA around a 5. 9 starts in 2 seasons. Came in as free agent supposed to bulster the starting rotation and just looked like he didnt even wanna be there. To make matters worse as soon as he leaves he goes back to workhorse status, starting every game going 200 innings, grows the douchiest mustache of all time and becomes the Twins ace 2 years later. Chug a c*ck Pavano, I will never forgive you for your time “served” in NY

• hankg42 - Apr 25, 2011 at 4:37 PM

Yeah, Carl Pavano is another good choice for the Yanks.

• proudlycanadian - Apr 25, 2011 at 5:25 PM

What about the original Fat Toad?

25. Phillies Homer - Apr 25, 2011 at 4:32 PM

Adding a few short stints for the Phillies:

Rod Barajas and Wes Helms get under my skin. Both stunk as a Phillie and then always seemed to get a Home Run or huge hit when they faced the Phillies afterwards.

Jackie Robinson Day is bittersweet