Who is the most hated player in your team’s history?

Apr 25, 2011, 4:00 PM EDT

John Rocker

I try to ac-cent-u-ate the positive and e-lim-i-nate the negative as much as possible, but it’s a long baseball season so it’s easy to get negative.

I tend to get the most negative about my own team when they’re not playing well. Oh, if you could take a man’s life for the thoughts that’s in his head I’d have been on that execution line many a times over the past 25 years. Between Robert Fick and Lonnie Smith I’m surprised I’m still living.

Jim Moore over at the Seattle Post-Intelligencer goes through the exercise with respect to the Mariners today, trying to figure out who the most hated Mariner of all time is.  He settles on Bobby Ayala but thinks that Chone Figgins is closing fast. Only Mariners fans can judge, though, because such assessments are inherently subjective. Only fans of a given team can speak to who that team’s most hated player is. Those on the outside just can’t understand.

I don’t know who the Braves’ most hated player is. Robert Fick was only there a year, but I truly hated him. It’s not Lonnie Smith. He was actually the only good player they had for a while there and I think people forgive him for his World Series (and other) transgressions. It might be John Rocker, but I bet that’s more because he embarrassed Braves fans more than he was actually hated, because he pitched pretty well while with the Braves.  I have to give it some thought.

In the meantime, what say you?  Who is the most hated player in your team’s history? Or at least recent history.  Show your work, please.

218 Comments (Feed for Comments)
  1. ramsak - Apr 26, 2011 at 5:11 AM

If you’re an old enough Brewers fan to remember Gary Sheffield he definitely wins.

Suppan and Hall are both quality people who worked hard and just couldn’t cut it. I don’t think they even enter the conversation.

When Sheffield was coming up through the minors the franchise was so excited to have its first real potential superstar since Molitor & Yount came up.

The minute he got here he was a jerk, called the Brewers a racist organization, pouted because he wanted to be in a bigger market. Pouted some more because we had a good shortstop in Bill Spiers so we moved Sheff to third and he hated it. He even fessed up that he would purposely overthrow the first baseman and sail a live ball into the stands for an error because he hated third base and didn’t want to play there.

He was low class as a rookie and he never got any classier with age.

2. grafe2 - Apr 26, 2011 at 5:13 AM

Yeah Sheffield was a big ol grump. I like him though just because the Braves are the only team he DIDN’T burn any bridges with. He was even at a ceremony for Bobby Cox wearing his old 11 jersey.

3. corporatescum - Apr 26, 2011 at 7:12 AM

I’m not a Red Sox fan, but I’m utterly shocked that no one has mentioned Buckner. Historically speaking, I don’t see how even Clemens can compare.

• vikesfansteve - Apr 26, 2011 at 8:41 AM

Typical Boston idiot. No way that team would make the world series in 86 without Buckner’s play at first. All season he was replaced defensively in the late innings except game 6. Also the game was already tied when he missed that grounder. Bob Stanley is the one you should hate moron. Plus don’t forget the Sox also blew the lead in game 7. You are a moron.

• 18thstreet - Apr 26, 2011 at 9:17 AM

Uh, the guy said he’s NOT a Red Sox fan and you called him a typical Boston idiot.

Buckner was framed.

• corporatescum - Apr 26, 2011 at 4:20 PM

Wow, I wish your reading comprehension skills were half as good as your trolling. Let’s recap: NOT a Red Sox fan. Speaking from an outsiders perspective. I DON’T hate Buckner. Don’t even care. All I’m saying is, if I recall correctly, yes, he was ‘welcomed back’ years later, I also remember tales of death threats, moves across the country, and lots of psychotherapy bills for the poor guy. That would seem, IMHO, to make him a candidate for most hated. Which is, surprisingly, not the same as saying “I hate him”
        Of course, I may be mistaken, as I’m NOT claiming to be an expert on this topic.
        All that said, if I re-read my post, and I read it as “I am a Red Sox fan”, I still don’t see what I said to inspire your vitriol (http://tinyurl.com/n2l5ze).

I don’t hate Buckner at all, to be clear. I do however hate the Vikings, and all people named Steve.

• corporatescum - Apr 26, 2011 at 4:23 PM

Or am I misunderstanding, and “vikes” is short for vicodin?

• Utley's Hair - Apr 26, 2011 at 12:04 PM

Buckner was welcomed back into Fenway with a rousing standing ovation sometime in 2005, was he not? That tells you how “hated” he was.

• dirtyharry1971 - Apr 26, 2011 at 2:36 PM

Geez utley’s hemmroid do you think it could be because baston won it all in “04? How do you think his ovation would have been if baston still hasnt won a WS since christ was a small child? God you are so dumb and pathetic!! IDIOT!!

• Utley's Hair - Apr 26, 2011 at 3:39 PM

If you’re going to try to insult me by twisting my name like you do, you might want to use spellcheck…or a dictionary—though that does make a mighty big assumption that you are literate. Maybe a GED should be your next objective. Have a nice day, you mischievous scamp. :D

• corporatescum - Apr 26, 2011 at 4:32 PM

What Buckner said was most difficult was how the Boston fans verbally abused his loved ones.

“I think what bothered me the most is the people — my immediate family and mother, wife, kids — I think it was unfortunate that they had to endure it, ’cause it was a lot harder on them than on me, because they didn’t like to see how people were treating me.”

Because of the cumulative effect on his family, Buckner got to the point that he could no longer handle living in Massachusetts. He left his home in Andover, Mass., shortly thereafter and moved permanently to Idaho.

• marshmallowsnake - Apr 26, 2011 at 1:10 PM

I think it would have to be Manny for the Sox…everyone wanted him gone by the end of his tenure there. I cannot think of anyone else…except Bucky Dent…and he was not a Sox player.

4. Panda Claus - Apr 26, 2011 at 8:49 AM

As an O’s fan, Albert Belle has to be near the top of that list. That unfulfilled bloated contract, surly attitude and his dangerous driving habits would be the main reasons for my contempt.

Honorary mention to Reggie in his one holdout-shortened season after being traded here in ’76, then going on to kill us annually for the New Yorkers.

5. justinch1978 - Apr 26, 2011 at 9:04 AM

the most hated tiger has to be the useless jeremy bonderman the worst mlb pitcher that held a starting post for 4 years or longer he was effin horrible along with his teamate nate robbinson. The pair year in and year out drained the starting rotation of the tigers.

6. kcq101 - Apr 26, 2011 at 10:29 AM

As for the Phillies…

I’ve already seen posts for J.D. Drew…I can’t argue with that.

Adam Eaton is more of a joke, rather than a hated figure. He stole money and a WS ring, but I can’t say I hate the guy. I just think he’s a pathetic joke.

People who’ve mentioned Mitch Williams apparently haven’t been in the Philly area lately, but Mitch has been embraced back by the fans as media personality.

I for one, cannot stand Scott Rolen. He didn’t leave on the best terms and just comes off as a smug prick. The local media doesn’t help his case, as they perpetuate this notion based on their past experiences with him in the locker room. All considered, whether it’s rational or not, Scott Rolen is my pick.

7. BC - Apr 26, 2011 at 10:40 AM

Bobby Bonilla with the Mets. Armando Benitez a close second.

• Utley's Hair - Apr 26, 2011 at 12:02 PM

Wow…no Ollie? Are you getting soft in your inebriated old age, BC?

• sdelmonte - Apr 28, 2011 at 9:59 AM

As terrible as Ollie was, he was never going to be a star or a savior. He’s also just a representative of an era defined more by the man who signed him to that deal.

Bonilla, though, represented all our hopes for a new Mets dynasty that quickly turned to ashes. He failed on a grand scale, and brought an attitude with him that would have rankled many even if he played well. He left, came back years later with the same attitude, and made us remember why we wanted him gone in the first place. And he’s still on the payroll, and will be long after Ollie is forgotten.

8. simondanielj - Apr 26, 2011 at 11:17 AM

As a Nationals Fan (I think I’m the second to say that) I hated Christian Guzman. After 2008 he was a negative fielder, around an 80 OPS+, and making at least 8,000,000 iirc. Always seemed like he was dogging it.

9. bringpudgebacktotx - Apr 26, 2011 at 11:20 AM

Texas Rangers: Alex Rodriguez and Mark Teixeira.. whiny babies.

Never heard anyone get booed like they do each time they step into the batter’s box at the Rangers Ballpark in Arlington.

10. embinoratsicus - Apr 26, 2011 at 3:11 PM

This comment is going to be limited to recent history, as I am sure there are people from the foggy past that deserve it, but I am not concerned with them.

As an A’s fan, I second the comment that Chavez as a guy was not hated, but giving away Tejada at the time and in the way they did it, (announcing it a year ahead that they wouldn’t sign him when his contract was up,) combined with Chavez’ years of injuries was disappointing. As for overall anger, at least during the last few years, Bobby Crosby takes the cake. Jeremy Giambi did have an issue with not sliding, but he might have been out either way, but Crosby for sheer lack of performance after a promising rookie of the year season was just awful. Dishonorable mention goes to Milton Bradley, who we traded away Andre Ethier to get, and who left an indelible picture of his time here by being physically lifted off the ground and carried backward by Ken Macha as he argued with an umpire before leaving in a huff.

As a padres fan (grew up in SD, moved 25 years ago to the Bay Area,) Burroughs is up there, but Kevin Brown with his “wanting to be closer to his family in Georgia so I will move farther away to the Dodgers, because of the big $ and the free corporate jet per month,” really proved himself to be a class A douche. Also Milton Bradley gets a mention here for getting injured while having another old guy physically pick him up to pull him off an umpire.

11. eightysixisback - Apr 26, 2011 at 3:17 PM

Cubs – milton bradley, what a douche.

12. thekingdave - Apr 27, 2011 at 12:04 AM

Aarcraft,

I use throw in because Hampton was the centerpiece of the trade. As you stated, Bell was thrown in to dump his salary and ego. That being said, Bell wasn’t vital to the teams success, and how can you truly claim one as the most hated who was of diminishing importance to the team’s success. If we’re just nominating guys because of bad character, how about Carl Everett and Julio Lugo.

As for Beltran, hindsight is 20/20 with his contract. At the time he was coming of one of the greatest postseason performances in history while the team had one of it’s best finishes ever. I vividly remember those contract negotiations and how the city hung in every update regarding them. I’m not as passionate about it as I once was, but no Astro has drawn my ire like Beltran did at that time.

13. luckywi - Apr 27, 2011 at 7:52 PM

If you read the comment section for the Minneapolis Star Tribune it’s apparently Joe Mauer, for the Twins. But in reality I think it’s Chuck Knoblach. I mean he was pelted with hotdogs, to the point they took the team off the field when he came back with the Yankees.

14. bklynbaseball - Apr 28, 2011 at 11:51 AM

Craig – loved the Springsteen reference…..

15. purdueman - Apr 29, 2011 at 6:51 PM

For the White Sox, the most hated player of all time has to be Juan Uribe. Sure, Uribe played an important (but brief), role in the White Sox 2005 championship season, but that sumbitch always swinging from his heels for the fences thinking that he’s Albert Pujois quickly became a very frustrating and lame act.

In fact, when the White Sox resigned Uribe after he hit free agency the first time, reportedly hundreds of season ticket holders cancelled their tickets right after the announcement in protest.

The Jon Lester-Yoenis Cespedes trade is a win-win