Apr 26, 2011, 10:47 AM EDT
Don Mattingly has decided to take the biggest risk of his young managerial career by going against his wife’s wishes and keeping his new goatee.
Of course, he told Dylan Hernandez of the Los Angeles Times that the goatee will stay only as long as the Dodgers keep winning, so Jonathan Broxton, James Loney, and company may give Mrs. Mattingly her wish soon enough anyway.
Rod Barajas is among the players to express their support of the goatee staying, to which Mattingly said: “I know who wears the pants. It’s not Rod.”
Strong talk from a guy who let Mr. Burns determine the fate of his sideburns.
- Tony Cingrani hits Bryce Harper in the back with a pitch, then complains he was too slow getting to first base 6
- Video: Josh Hamilton hits his first home run of the season 15
- Rockies starter Chad Bettis loses his no-hitter in the eighth inning 1
- Stephen Strasburg exits start in the second inning with an apparent injury 4
- More than half of polled baseball fans prefer having the pitcher hit 57
- The Marlins aren’t happy with the Dan Jennings hire 42
- Andrew McCutchen is doing just fine now, thank you 20
- The schedule: if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it 69