All-Star balloting underway on MLB.com

Apr 26, 2011, 6:30 PM EDT

Troy Tulowitzki

Major League Baseball unveiled the 2011 All-Star ballot on Tuesday for the July 12 game in Phoenix.

And, fear not, Sam Fuld did make the cut, as the league chose to list Johnny Damon at DH and Ben Zobrist at second base for the Rays.

So, head over and cast your vote. Or, better yet, unless you happen to be reading this from a ballpark, wait a couple of months since the season is still just four weeks old at the moment.

In the meantime, here’s my ballot, just for the fun of it.

American League
C Joe Mauer
1B Miguel Cabrera
2B Robinson Cano
3B Alex Rodriguez
SS Asdrubal Cabrera
OF Jose Bautista
OF Josh Hamilton
OF Carl Crawford (Or Shin-Soo Choo or Ichiro)
DH Adam Dunn

National League
C Buster Posey
1B Albert Pujols (Joey Votto can DH)
2B Rickie Weeks
3B Chipper Jones (One last start for a future HOF)
SS Troy Tulowitzki
OF Ryan Braun
OF Matt Holliday
OF Matt Kemp

Obviously, there are a couple of slow starters there, but that’s OK. One thing I don’t like: while I agree with the idea that the DH should be used in every All-Star Game, I’d rather it didn’t get a spot on the ballot. Adrian Gonzalez, Evan Longoria and Mark Teixeira are all likely to more deserving of that start than Dunn or David Ortiz. It puts the AL at a disadvantage that the NL can just slide Votto or Prince Fielder in there.

One other note: for the second year in a row, Detroit’s Brennan Boesch may very well be the most deserving player not on the ballot (though Jed Lowrie is right there, too). Last year, he wasn’t called up until April 23, so there was no helping that. This year, though, he was bypassed despite a .348 average in 69 at-bats. He ranks 11th in the AL in OPS.

1. mentalotherhalf - Apr 26, 2011 at 6:51 PM

I like the no-DH-on-the-ballot idea. I’d take Teixeira over Cabrera in about 95 of 100 opportunities. Same for Adrian Gonzalez, to the tune of maybe 90 of 100, given his relatively slow start. Both show a better range than Cabrera, and are more likely to show up sober and free of manslaughter charges. Cabrera can have the hypothetical gift DH.

• mentalotherhalf - Apr 26, 2011 at 7:05 PM

Actually: I just decided I resent his disgusting offseason more than I thought. Tex. Then A-Gon. Cabrera can stay home and deal with his headache.

2. Charles Gates - Apr 26, 2011 at 7:11 PM

Including Carl Crawford on this year’s AS team brings up a philosophical debate regarding the team selection: do you select the best player or the player that has had the best season to date?

I’d prefer to reward the player that put together a hot half season. Sure, call it the small sample size selection award, that’s fine. But I’d rather that than some type of life time achievement nomination or a contest in what player is the most famous.

• Brian Murphy - Apr 26, 2011 at 8:09 PM

I like to see the most deserving players make it, but the fans, myself included, want to see the best go against each other. That means including Crawford over the likes of Jeff Francoeur. Frenchy’s had a much better season as of now, but no one really cares to see him in that game. We want the big-money players, the stars among the All-Stars. Struggles be damned!

The best thing anyone can do is to hold their vote(s) until we have more than just 80-90 at bats with which to judge a player’s season.

• jasonforb - Apr 26, 2011 at 9:40 PM

Vote based on performance since last year’s game.

• IdahoMariner - Apr 27, 2011 at 12:01 PM

which is why it’s INSANE that they open up balloting this early….at least wait until the middle of May, maybe end of May.

• Joe - Apr 27, 2011 at 12:01 PM

I’m in the other camp. It’s an All STAR game. Sam Fuld, for example, is not a star. If a guy with a good half season is really that good, he’ll get there in the future. If it turns out to be a fluke and he never makes the ASG, no big deal. I’d certainly prefer to see Carl Crawford than Sam Fuld regardless of their performance thus far this year.

3. Manni Stats - Apr 26, 2011 at 7:52 PM

Can’t they just make it a freaking exhibition game with nothing on the line so I can go back to not caring at all?

• IdahoMariner - Apr 27, 2011 at 12:06 PM

I wouldn’t care at all, except at Hall of Fame voting time, it’s always in the list of things to consider….when that’s just silly, whether it’s voted on by the public or the managers or whoever, because it does come down to popularity, early perception, etc. The writers shouldn’t consider it, or at least weigh it very, very lightly; but since they do, could MLB at least try to heighten the chance that it reflects some reality, by limiting voting to a small window just before the game?

4. rockstardaddy - Apr 26, 2011 at 11:12 PM

Rickie Weeks is a good choice, but keep an eye on Jonathan Herrera.

5. Walk - Apr 27, 2011 at 1:13 AM

Early on, like today i cast just a few ballots but i vote for what i consider the better player. As it gets nearer the all star game i usually shift my vote and burn the last of my votes, if a player i chose first is having a really bad year and another is having a breakout year i can always change my vote. For old times sake i wouldnt mind seeing chipper jones and johnny damon make their respective teams. I saw damon make a throw earlier this year, i dont get to see many american league games, but that broke finger must have been hurting him for longer than he said but he was still playing and making his patented double cutoff man throw from the outfield. I should wait longer to cast my votes but i cant help voting for some of my favorite players even if it is only once. I agree with jasonforb but i just cant seem to make a few of my ballots seem to reflect that philosophy.

Alex Gordon, MVP candidate