And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights

Apr 26, 2011, 5:57 AM EDT

Jered Weaver AP

Angels 5, Athletics 0: Jered Weaver continues his early season dominance with a seven-hit, ten-strikeout shutout. Last week I said that he and Haren are like Dback-era Randy Johnson and Curt Schilling. That comp was off the top of my head, but it has some validity at the moment as Weaver is the first pitcher to have six wins in his team’s first 23 games since The Big Unit did it in 2002. Overall, he’s the sixth pitcher since 1900 with six wins by the end of April. That list includes Johnson in 2002 and 2000, Dave Stewart in 1988, Vida Blue in 1971 and Brandon Webb in 2008.

Diamondbacks 4, Phillies 0: Ian Kennedy dominated the Phillies, pitching a three-hit shutout and striking out 10. Crazy couple of days for Kennedy: his daughter was born at 2AM on Sunday and then this a little over 40 hours later.

White Sox 2, Yankees 0: Phil Humber — Phil Humber? — took a no-hitter into the seventh against the Bombers and Chris Sale and Sergio Santos took the shutout the rest of the way home. The Yankees’ silent bats waste a strong performance from A.J. Burnett (8 IP, 3 H, 1 ER).  Who is this Phil Humber anyway?  A former Mets draft pick who was part of the Johan Santana deal, did his time in Minnesota, spent a season in Kansas City and then was waived to the A’s who in turned waived him to the White Sox, that’s who. He was born in Nacogdoches. That’s in east Texas. Not far from the border. But he likes to tell everybody that he’s from Lake Charles.

Marlins 5, Dodgers 4: Don Mattingly is damned if he does, damned if he doesn’t. Last Thursday he stretched Clayton Kershaw into the ninth inning against the Braves because he apparently didn’t trust Jonathan Broxton to lock it down, Kershaw tired, the Braves tied it up and on they went into extra innings. Last night he goes to Broxton in the ninth and he allows four baserunners — all of whom reached after there were two outs — and blows the game. Granted, he had help from Jamey Carrol whose error prolonged the game and allowed the tying run to score, but there’s something to be said about prophecies and chickens and eggs and all of that here. Or you can just say that Jonathan Broxton stinks.

Padres 5, Braves 3: Two homers from Ryan Ludwick, including a two-run walkoff job in the 13th inning. In other news, giving up five runs to the Padres these days is like giving up 10 runs to any other team.

Pirates 4, Nationals 2: Brandon Wood’s first action in a Pirates uniform and he hits a two-run double and later comes around to score. This will be kind of cool if it leads to Wood making a fresh start in Pittsburgh and regaining some of the luster he had a few years ago. It won’t be cool, however, if his playing time comes at the expense of Pedro Alvarez, who stands a much better chance of being the part of the next winning Pirates team than Wood does (if indeed, such a beast ever comes to pass).

Blue Jays 6. Rangers 4: You can’t stop Corey Patterson, you can only hope to contain him (2 for 4, HR, 3 RBI).

Reds 9, Brewers 5: A six-run third inning against Chris Narveson from a revamped Reds’ lineup. Brandon Phillips was three for four with a double and three RBI. He’s 11 for 28 with a homer and four doubles since missing three games with a sore groin a couple of weeks ago.

Rockies 5, Cubs 3: A defensive disaster for Chicago, with four errors — three from Starlin Castro — leading to four unearned runs for the Rockies. They were sloppy against L.A. over the weekend too.

1. proudlycanadian - Apr 26, 2011 at 7:10 AM

Stop the Corey Patterson nonsense. He was lucky that the ball hit his bat in the right place while 2 men were on base. The big news is Jose Bautista. In recent games, he has very infrequently made an out. Pitchers are afraid to throw him a strike.

• Ari Collins - Apr 26, 2011 at 8:17 AM

Homerism on your part? Nope, the guy is flat amazing, and I agree that he’s the story right now. Dude has not only been the best hitter in the AL, but the best overall player according to WAR.

The guy hit 10 homers in September ’09, 54 in ’10, and 8 (so far!) in April of 2011. That’s an average of 9 homers a month over a season and two months, and he still has 5 more games left in April.

He’s hitting .364/.517/.788.

So yeah. Clearly it was just a single season fluke. I’m sure he’ll get, what, 25 homers at most this year, like some of the doubters thought?

• Jeremiah Graves - Apr 26, 2011 at 8:45 AM

I don’t want to spoil the good vibes and I’m not anti-Bautista, but it’s still only April.

We’re just a little over 20 games into the season. There’s a long way between here and October, so let’s temper the vitriol toward the doubters until he’s actually proven someone wrong. Eight home runs is still a long way from 54 or even 25…if I recall a young, Chucky-like lad named Chris Shelton popped 10 homers in April a few years back and lil’ Brian Roberts once knocked out 8 in April as well.

I’m not hatin’, just saying that it’s still W-A-A-A-A-Y too early for us to make legitimate judgments about anyone at this point.

• Ari Collins - Apr 26, 2011 at 9:01 AM

It’s pretty early to say that if all we had to go by was April. But what that the doubters thought last year (somehow) was that a 54-homer guy was going to go back to being the guy he was before he changed his swing and got playing time. But we didn’t have “just” those 54 homers, we also had 10 from September ’09. And now we have 8 from April ’11. Now he’s been on that 54-homer pace for a year plus two extra months.

Obviously he could get injured, but it’s hard to see him regressing to the 15-homer pace he’d need to avoid 25 homers for the year. Many systems had him projected for a 35-homer year, and he’s already killing that pace. And at this point, it’s not out of the question that this year-and-a-third is the real Bautista now, and another 50-homer season is entirely possible.

• cur68 - Apr 26, 2011 at 10:35 AM

This has been my point about him Ari. There is no small small sample size here. Starting Julyish 09 he got coaching, playing time and some faith shown in him after knocking around like a red headed step child for most of his career. He is in many ways the anti-Francoeur. This is what the guy always could have been. The past few weeks have seen pitchers giving him nothing but change ups and breaking balls. Well he’s slowed his lift off, delayed the step down and is crushing the off speed and breaking stuff now. Pitchers now know what they are dealing with: the front runner for the Chuck Norris Manliest Man in MLB. Look for A LOT more intentional walks for Jose because at this point no one wants to throw him a fastball that can’t make it to 98mph. So far only Michael Pineda has managed that and I do believe Jose only juuuuust missed it (timed perfectly on replay, but under the pitch).

A tip of the batting helmet to Dwayne Murphy, the Blue Jays hitting coach, too. He’s a genius. He even got Vernon Wells to hit 20 odd homers.

• Jonny 5 - Apr 26, 2011 at 8:39 AM

Change his name to Batista. The guy is showing you really can teach old dogs new tricks.

• spudchukar - Apr 26, 2011 at 10:20 AM

It isn’t just the 8 HRs Baustista has slugged, he is becoming an all-round great hitter, and the Jays are pleased with his RF play. All those doubters need to fess up. This dude is for real. 50 HRs again my be tough, but I would bet my bottom dollar on 40.

2. uyf1950 - Apr 26, 2011 at 8:46 AM

Humber pitched a great game for the White Sox and they deserved that win. I think the Yankees bats were a little tired for all the offense over the weekend in Baltimore and ran out of gas.
    On the bright side for the Yankees even with the loss AJ pitched a great game in his own right. Probably the best game he’s pitched in over a year, may be more. Now if he can only keep it up.
    But again Humber and the White Sox deserved that win last night they pitched just that much better, played that little bit better and wanted the game just a little bit more.
    Just telling it like I see it, and as always that’s just my opinion.

3. Alex K - Apr 26, 2011 at 8:52 AM

Not only did Starlin Castro have three errors…they were all in the 2nd inning! He basically took the game from 3-0 to 3-3 all by himself.

4. Ari Collins - Apr 26, 2011 at 9:02 AM

Well, okay, the other storyline is Jered Weaver. He went from a #2 to a legit #1 last year, and he’s keeping it up. Don’t you know you’re not “supposed” to turn it on until your FA year, Jered? Boras will tell you.

• uyf1950 - Apr 26, 2011 at 9:12 AM

My friend I’m not sure that this isn’t his FA year. Yes I know he still has a year of arbitration left (2012). But I think it’s very doubtful the Angels are going to be able to resign him for a number of reasons. Least of which is the relationship or should I say lack of a relationship between the owner and the agent. Second the money and years Weaver/Boras will be looking for and probably get. Probably 6 years and $20MM plus per.
      Just my opinion but I think if the Angels realize there is no way they can/will resign him they trade him after this season. That’s when in my opinion he will have the most value to the Angels and they will be able to reap a kings ransom for him. Plus the FA class of 2012 for “quality” starting pitchers is really, really, really thin at this point. Even more of a reason for the Angels to try and move him at the end of the season if they aren’t going to resign him long term.

• Jonny 5 - Apr 26, 2011 at 9:31 AM

Well they don’t have to pay Gary Matthews Jr. Next season do they? Add that to Weaver’s pay he makes now and it’s a wash right? I don’t see why an LA team which looks like a contender would let Weaver walk. He gets his money and stays imo. UYF1950 buddy ole pal, I think you do a lot of wishful thinking when it comes to #1 starters of other teams not being retained (so your Yankees can snap them right up). No offense taken I hope.

• uyf1950 - Apr 26, 2011 at 10:11 AM

Not wishful thinking at all my friend. BTW nowhere in my comment did I make any reference to the Yankees. It was just a general observation. And yes it’s true theywon’t have Gary Matthews Jr. or probably Kazmir payroll to worry about in 2012. But they still have Wells on the payroll through 2014 and they will have to allocate money for Tori Hunter, Dan Haren, Ervin Santana in the next year or 2 just to name a few, and they all will be due for raises. Then they will have to decide what to do about Kendrys Morales (he doesn’t seem to be progressing as well as they would have liked. Do they use some of that money that’s out there from Jr. and Kazmir to maybe make a real push for say Pujols if he hits FA or Prince Fielder. Besides aside from money and years being the issue for Weaver (aren’t you the one that always brings up long term deals when it come to pitchers) it’s Boras. The chances of him wanting Weaver to test FA is about as close to 100% as you can get. If that turns out to be the case I say the chances of the Angels resigning Weaver are probably 25%. That’s why I think it makes sense for the Angels to try and move him at seasons end. They can maximize what they can get for him. But as always, that’s just my opinion.

• yankeesfanlen - Apr 26, 2011 at 10:23 AM

Alright, Jonny, since uyf is too polite to say it: The Yankees WANT and WISH for Jared Weaver. We deserve him as a substitute from the Weaver family for having put up with Jeff.

• spudchukar - Apr 26, 2011 at 10:25 AM

I dunno UYF, mi amigo, the Angels are not one of those teams short of cash. Seems to be in the Weaver mentality to test the waters, but I got a feelin’ the Angels have the cash and sense to keep him.

• Alex K - Apr 26, 2011 at 10:31 AM

The thing is, Boras can want Weaver to test free agency with the intensity of one thousand burning suns, but that doesn’t mean that he has to, or will. It is ultimately up to the player.

I think the Angels are trying to win this year and next and it doesn’t make sense to trade their best pitcher.

• uyf1950 - Apr 26, 2011 at 10:32 AM

spudchukar – obviously the Angels have the resources. The question is do they have the will? I’m not sure they do. Also don’t discount the fact that Boras is Weavers agent. He almost never allows his clients to miss out on a FA opportunity…and if that happens I predick the same thing that happened with Crawford and Beltre to the Angels will have with Weaver. And everyone would also have to admit there is probably some bad blood between the owner and agent. Will that have an effect on negotiations who knows, but I can tell you it ain’t a good thing. That’s why more then ever I honestly feel the Angels will move Weaver before the start of next season. Sell when the commodity has it’s highest value.

• uyf1950 - Apr 26, 2011 at 10:36 AM

Alex – There is one reason and one reason only “premier” ball players sign on with Boras as their agent. They trust and want him to get them the most money he can. Did I say that correctly? The absolute most money he can.

• Jonny 5 - Apr 26, 2011 at 10:49 AM

Lenny, LMAO!!!

UYF, They passed on offering huge contracts to FA’s everyone suspected they would make a big push for. To resign their best pitcher maybe? It’s becoming more evident in the thin market you mentioned that really good pitchers are really hard to find, I just don’t see the logic in letting him walk. And just because you didn’t mention the Yankees snagging him up through FA doesn’t mean you weren’t thinking it, does it. C’mon UYF, come clean, everyone knows how fans of the Yanks think already. It’s not your fault really, you’ve been conditioned to this type of thinking over the years. Plain and simple, if any team can afford any player, which team is it? Pavlov’s Dog comes to mind, whenever the FA “bell” is rung y’all start drooling. Dontcha?? ;) woof!

• yankeesfanlen - Apr 26, 2011 at 10:54 AM

Yeah, I start drooling, but I blame it on my border collies. There’s that guy out West too, that “King” somebody. C’mon, Joe D. came from the PCL, let’s try a couple of their big league pitchers.

• Alex K - Apr 26, 2011 at 11:23 AM

UFY- I don’t disagree that baseball players sign with Scott Boras to get a huge contract. But, that doesn’t mean that he can make them do anything. Also, we don’t know how Weaver feels about playing for the Angels, he could love it. It could be his first choice, heck, he may even take a small amount less money to stay there.

The Angels are trying to win. They have a very, very good pitcher in Jared Weaver; why would hey hurt their chances to win now if that is their plan?

• uyf1950 - Apr 26, 2011 at 11:41 AM

Jonny 5 – It really really, really bothers me when someone lumps everyone into the same pot like you just did with your comment “everyone knows how fans of the Yanks think already..”. It bothers me almost as much as it would probably bother you If I made a comment like (which I never would do) “all Phillies fans are jerks just because some are. Also, to be honest I really resent the fact that you are presuming to me with your last rather crass comment. I thought you had more class then that.

• uyf1950 - Apr 26, 2011 at 11:50 AM

Alex – You’re right Boras can’t make his clients do anything they don’t want to do. Although I have a hard time being able to think of a “premier” client of his that hasn’t taken the most money. I may be wrong though. Your also right about none of us know what Weaver is thinking. Where i do think you are wrong is about Weaver even considering taking less money, at least any real difference in money to stay in LA. If that were the case he would have settle his arbitration case this with without having it gone to the arbitrators decision, where by the way he lost.
        Just one brief comment about the Angels chances of winning now versus the reason to trade Weaver at years end. If the Angels can get a Kings ransom for Weaver wouldn’t it make sense to trade him when they can have an opportunity to win for many years to come, rather then just for the opportunity in the next 2 years. And if they don’t win this year that only gives them in all likelihood Weaver for 1 more year with probably a reduced bounty coming their way at the 2012 deadline. As always those are just my opinions. We will have to see how it plays out.

• yankeesfanlen - Apr 26, 2011 at 12:02 PM

uyf- Jonny was just teasing and cajoling you by lumpoing all Yankee fans together. It’s just a playful stereotype everyone knows you’re insightful and well reasoned. I’ll be Hank and you be Hal and we’ll continue our playful banter.
        Right on up to when we beat the Phightins in the World Series.

• uyf1950 - Apr 26, 2011 at 12:09 PM

yankeesfanlen – If I misinterpreted Jonny5’s comment I apologize. But until he let’s me know that I’ll with hold judgment on my previous response.

Your latest comment sounds like a plan to me. I think I’d like being Hal he’s the quiet reserved one.

• Jonny 5 - Apr 26, 2011 at 1:30 PM

C’mon UYF, I WAS teasing you. I figured comparing you to a drooling dog would have been the biggest hint. Saying Yankee fans are always drooling over future possible FA’s is not really an insult anyway. Try being lumped with Puking, Santa hating, battery throwing, Tazed and confused, Phillies fans. Uggh… But really I’m a guy who tries to give everyone the benefit of doubt and don’t pigeonhole anyone for any reason be it race, creed, nationality, religion, and especially whatever fan base you’re from. Unless you’re also a Dallas Cowboy fan……. J/K ;) See what I just did? It’s because I can’t help myself.

Lenny on the other hand is a droolin’ fool when it comes to future FA pitchers. Lenny seems to think King Felix was born to be a Yankee. He’s had dreams of this I believe, he calls it “the happening”. The Happening represents the eve of the day in which Joba “the toad” is released to the nearest pond and King Felix dons the navy blue stripes. Len, have you finished your anti Toad, pro Felix altar yet?

• uyf1950 - Apr 26, 2011 at 2:03 PM

Jonny 5 – I apologize for misinterpreting you earlier comment. I think need a little more practice at reading your comments sometimes. This I believe is like the 2nd or 3rd time I’ve read to much into them. Sorry.

• yankeesfanlen - Apr 26, 2011 at 2:12 PM

Jonny- just trying anything to keep Kevin Millwood from invading a pond holding THE FAT TOAD. He’s eaten all the Koi, I’ve taken to throwing Big Macs in there.

• Jonny 5 - Apr 26, 2011 at 2:29 PM

UYF, Please never ever apologize for misinterpreting the crassness of my fingertips. You are a very insightful poster and I like to read your thoughts on the game. When dealing with me all I ask is, don’t kick a dog for peeing on a tree in the back yard because after all it is still just a dog. In other words, I’m a smartass of sorts, I will apologize for it, but I probably can’t stop it.

Len, I’ll be happy if he never gains a taste for cheesesteaks.

• uyf1950 - Apr 26, 2011 at 2:54 PM

Jonny 5 – You got it. Thanks.

5. tomemos - Apr 26, 2011 at 9:26 AM

In the Dodger game: don’t overlook Jerry Sands’s contribution. It wasn’t scored an error, but the walkoff hit should very much have been caught. Why there wasn’t a defensive replacement I have no idea.

• The Common Man/www.platoonadvantage.com - Apr 26, 2011 at 9:57 AM

Hey, yeah, I don’t think that you can pin the Dodgers loss last night on Broxton. Not only did Carroll make a really bad error on a slow roller when he took his eyes off the ball, but Sands absolutely blew the single that ended up winning it. He broke in on a catchable ball, had to change directions, and that then ended up landing over his head. It’s hard enough to get three outs in the Majors, let alone having to get five.

• losburrosinblue - Apr 26, 2011 at 12:57 PM

I’m not willing to give Sands a hard time on this one. The kid had some good, well-placed hits during the game and, more importantly, he’s a first baseman. He doesn’t play outfield, but the Dodgers are so interested in having their first baseman hit under .250 that their not willing to replace Loney. Sands could have caught that ball, but he’s been playing some really good left field for a first-baseman.

6. spudchukar - Apr 26, 2011 at 10:13 AM

Sorry no one got the Lucinda Williams reference there Craig. Car Wheels on a Gravel Road.

• Joe - Apr 26, 2011 at 10:37 AM

I got it, but I just got here.

7. cur68 - Apr 26, 2011 at 11:21 AM

No mention of the pop up that dropped in front of Jeets? To be fair Soriano probably might have got that one if he’d tried real hard but he’d have had to run up the mound and back down it to get it. Jeter, in his younger days (or probably about 30 other shortstops) might have got to that pop up but it would have been a near thing no matter what. I’m not finding it so egregious that it dropped so much as the look he gave his pitcher when it did. C’mon el capitan; probably that was either your ball or no ones, don’t be hatin’.

8. APBA Guy - Apr 26, 2011 at 12:22 PM

Wow, great West Coast thread this morning about the Angels and Weaver. As the mouthpiece for the team on the short end of that particular stick last night, Weaver looked fabulous. Not King Felix or Roy Halladay fabulous, however. He doesn’t have their precision, he doesn’t have the King’s velocity, and he doesn’t work down on the zone as consistently as they do. At this point, he’s more like a Zach Greinke from 2 years ago in that he’s pitching to the max of his potential.

But, you have to like 6-0.

Speaking of Boras, he was at the game last night, in his field level box behind the plate, looking like he’s put on a little weight.

There is no doubt Weaver will test free agency when he can, assuming Boras remains his agent. Guys (think Texeira) release Boras after they get the big contract, not before. It’s well known the Angels have a frosty relationship with Boras. But Moreno is a competitive guy. He wants to win, and the Angels are trying to win this year. If they are in the mix for the AL West this year, I doubt they’ll trade Weaver assuming he’s still pitching effectively. Rememebr the Angels game plan was to hang around and see if the Rangers would stay injury free and run away with it. So far they haven’t and the race is close (Rangers 14-8, LAA 13-10). There’s plenty of time in the offseason or even Summer of 2012 to make a decision about Weaver. Meanwhile, the Angels will see if they can’t pull off a division win this year.

9. spudchukar - Apr 26, 2011 at 12:56 PM

Beware of the Pheesh. They are nibbling at your invincible lead.

• Jonny 5 - Apr 26, 2011 at 1:36 PM

Who are you talking to Mr. potato bird??? Huh?? You talkin’ to me? Ahhhh, The Feeshes are once again contending at a higher than expected level. I don’t know if Loria is just evil, or an evil genius anymore.

• spudchukar - Apr 26, 2011 at 3:01 PM

J5, do I detect an aura of irritation? Are the Phlyin’ Pheesh applying an uncomfortable amount of pressure? Have you begun to Phear your Phour Aces won’t be enough to beat the Miami Royal Phlush? Raise or Phold?

• Jonny 5 - Apr 26, 2011 at 3:11 PM

LOL!!! No irritation sir. Although I’d be lying if i didn’t admit the offense of the Phills is a concern of mine. I expect the Feesh bubble to burst before that of the Philties

• Jonny 5 - Apr 26, 2011 at 3:14 PM

Oh and I forgot to compliment the wittiness of your post. One thumb up.

• spudchukar - Apr 26, 2011 at 3:34 PM

Thanks, yeah getting shut out is one thing, but getting white-washed in Arizona is another. Maybe Ian Kennedy has your number or something. I know how that goes, tonight my Cards play the lowly Astros, but pitching for them is Bud Norris. Might as well be Chuck Norris, cause the dude owns us. Have a new moniker for your startin’ Phive though, how about Aces and Ates.

10. uyf1950 - Apr 26, 2011 at 3:59 PM

If baseball fans will allow me to digress from the topic of this blog. I would like to mention one thing about today in baseball history.

Fifty (50) years ago today Roger Maris hit the first of his 61 home runs in 1961. Credit goes to Yankeeanalysts.com for notice. I make no judgment one way or another but many a baseball fan still consider Maris’s 61 home runs the true season home run record.

• yankeesfanlen - Apr 26, 2011 at 5:36 PM

Thanks for the reminder, uyf. We also have a 70th anniversary coming up on May 15th.that has almost no chance of ever being broken.

• uyf1950 - Apr 26, 2011 at 7:52 PM

Yes we do. The start of Joltin Joe’s 56 games ML record hitting streak. Did you also know that approximately 2 weeks later but 8 years earlier on May 27,1933 Joltin Joe starting what was to eventually become a 61 game hitting streak for the SF Seals of the PCL.

Who's to blame for Cubs tarp fiasco?
  1. R. Castillo (3170)