Apr 26, 2011, 8:15 PM EDT
Andre Ethier extended his hitting streak to 23 games with an RBI double off Chris Volstad in the first inning of tonight’s game against the Marlins, establishing a new record for the longest hitting streak ever in April.
As mentioned yesterday, Ethier’s former manager Joe Torre hit in 22 consecutive April games as a member of the Cardinals during the 1971 season.
Not only is Ethier’s hitting streak the longest ever in April, but it’s the longest by a Dodger since Paul Lo Duca hit in 25 consecutive games from May 17-June 18, 2003.
- Mets acquire Tyler Clippard from the Athletics 16
- Angels acquire Shane Victorino from Red Sox 15
- Happy 40th Birthday, A-Rod! 41
- Craig Biggio, John Smoltz, Randy Johnson and Pedro Martinez inducted into the Hall of Fame 41
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 48
- Mike Trout hits two homers, including a grand slam, to take MLB lead 13
- Zack Greinke’s scoreless innings streak ends at 45 2/3 7
- Royals acquire ace Johnny Cueto from the Reds 71
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (156)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- MLBPAA announces “Heart and Hustle” award, given mostly to Americans and white guys (131)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)