Apr 26, 2011, 9:27 AM EST
Retired outfielder Carl Everett is in big trouble: he was arrested last night on charges of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon and tampering with a witness. The details, according to the police report, are that he pointed a gun at his wife’s head and then broke two cell phones when she attempted to call 9-1-1. Yikes.
Everett, who played for eight teams in 14 seasons, has been married to his wife for 18 years. To my knowledge there isn’t a history of domestic violence in their marriage, but it’s hard to see how something can escalate to this with no previous history. UPDATE: readers remind me that Everett had his children removed from his home when he was playing for the Mets after they were “excessively slapped.”
So basically: screw Carl Everett.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- The Cleveland Plain Dealer comes out strongly against Chief Wahoo (116)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (96)
- Report: Harold Reynolds, Tom Verducci to join Joe Buck for World Series booth at Fox (73)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)