Apr 26, 2011, 9:27 AM EST
Retired outfielder Carl Everett is in big trouble: he was arrested last night on charges of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon and tampering with a witness. The details, according to the police report, are that he pointed a gun at his wife’s head and then broke two cell phones when she attempted to call 9-1-1. Yikes.
Everett, who played for eight teams in 14 seasons, has been married to his wife for 18 years. To my knowledge there isn’t a history of domestic violence in their marriage, but it’s hard to see how something can escalate to this with no previous history. UPDATE: readers remind me that Everett had his children removed from his home when he was playing for the Mets after they were “excessively slapped.”
So basically: screw Carl Everett.
- Rosenthal: Mariners’ offer to Robinson Cano hasn’t topped $200 million 11
- MLB, NPB nearing new posting system agreement 9
- Report: Talks between the Mets and Curtis Granderson have “intensified” 31
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury 159
- Marlins sign free agent catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia to three-year, $21 million contract 44
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (159)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (134)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (98)
- Robinson Cano met with the Mariners in Seattle (86)
- Yankees’ Jacoby Ellsbury signing to pay big dividends… for now (80)