Apr 26, 2011, 9:27 AM EDT
Retired outfielder Carl Everett is in big trouble: he was arrested last night on charges of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon and tampering with a witness. The details, according to the police report, are that he pointed a gun at his wife’s head and then broke two cell phones when she attempted to call 9-1-1. Yikes.
Everett, who played for eight teams in 14 seasons, has been married to his wife for 18 years. To my knowledge there isn’t a history of domestic violence in their marriage, but it’s hard to see how something can escalate to this with no previous history. UPDATE: readers remind me that Everett had his children removed from his home when he was playing for the Mets after they were “excessively slapped.”
So basically: screw Carl Everett.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (130)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (111)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)