Apr 26, 2011, 9:27 AM EDT
Retired outfielder Carl Everett is in big trouble: he was arrested last night on charges of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon and tampering with a witness. The details, according to the police report, are that he pointed a gun at his wife’s head and then broke two cell phones when she attempted to call 9-1-1. Yikes.
Everett, who played for eight teams in 14 seasons, has been married to his wife for 18 years. To my knowledge there isn’t a history of domestic violence in their marriage, but it’s hard to see how something can escalate to this with no previous history. UPDATE: readers remind me that Everett had his children removed from his home when he was playing for the Mets after they were “excessively slapped.”
So basically: screw Carl Everett.
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 36
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 64
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 51
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 49
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 19
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11