Charlie Manuel: “No way in hell we overused Jose Contreras”

Apr 26, 2011, 11:46 AM EDT

Charlie Manuel

Jose Contreras was placed on the disabled list Sunday with a right flexor pronator strain and manager Charlie Manuel was questioned about whether the reliever’s recent heavy workload led to the elbow problems.

Not only did Manuel deny that premise, he did so very strongly. Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com has the details:

I feel like, first of all, there’s no way in hell we overused Contreras. That’s how I feel. There’s no way. What did he pitch? The most [consecutive] games was three. Then he had a day off. He pitched five times in seven days. We weren’t trying to stay away from him. He was closing games. That’s how I look at it.

General manager Ruben Amaro Jr. commented that Contreras “had been pitching quite a bit” when the DL stint was announced, but he later clarified that he wasn’t criticizing Manuel’s handling of the 39-year-old. Manuel was asked if anyone in the front office said anything to him about pitcher workloads and responded: “That’s none of your business.”

Manuel no doubt had various reasons for using Contreras so often, not the least of which is that closer Brad Lidge was on the disabled list already, but ultimately a 39-year-old reliever pitching five times in seven days qualifies as a very heavy workload. I’m sure even Manuel would admit that if there wasn’t criticism attached.

Last but not least, my favorite part of Manuel’s rant when questioned about Contreras came when one reporter told him criticism is “the nature of the game” and he replied: “I don’t think I look like a nature boy.” That’s a funny quote coming from anyone, but becomes downright hilarious if you’ve ever seen and heard Charlie Manuel. Excuse me, Charlie “Not A Nature Boy” Manuel.

1. BC - Apr 26, 2011 at 11:50 AM

Contrares is probably more like 49.

2. shanemcdowell - Apr 26, 2011 at 12:24 PM

Whew! Glad we could clear up that common misconception that Charlie Manuel and Ric Flair are the same person.

• BC - Apr 26, 2011 at 12:32 PM

Woooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!

• tmohr - Apr 26, 2011 at 1:35 PM

Charlie’s a limousine-riding, Learjet-flying, kiss-stealing, wheeling-dealing son of a gun!

3. cur68 - Apr 26, 2011 at 12:33 PM

Cholly in a bad mood? I’d never a thunk it that Cholly would get all snappish with the press. He needs a piece of cake. That’ll cheer him up.

• Utley's Hair - Apr 26, 2011 at 12:51 PM

A piece of Lynchburg lemonade cheeseCAKE, that is, Senor Ochenta y seis.

• cur68 - Apr 26, 2011 at 12:54 PM

With strawberries and ice cream? mmm….cheescake….

• dirtyharry1971 - Apr 26, 2011 at 2:38 PM

and a slice of MORON just for you utley’s wart, god you are so pathetic

• cur68 - Apr 26, 2011 at 3:02 PM

harry you know I rarely resort to cussin’ and such but for you I might start making an exception. Do go away, you’re turning my stomach.

• Utley's Hair - Apr 26, 2011 at 3:04 PM

Ah, harry. Where ya been? Still haven’t refilled your meds, I see. Regardless, I hope you had a good Easter under that bridge of yours.

• sawxalicious - Apr 26, 2011 at 8:03 PM

Hate to add petty corrections, but I think you meant Senor Seisenta y Ocho (68)….and cheesecake should put anyone in a good mood…

• Utley's Hair - Apr 26, 2011 at 10:42 PM

Crap. There goes my periodic Spanish dyslexia. Thanks, sawx.

• Jonny 5 - Apr 26, 2011 at 1:59 PM

Charlie is 100% all pie. He don’t be needin’ no cake when he’s got a gander on some southern pecan pie. He’s happier’in then a hog in in muck to say Pie RULES!

• cur68 - Apr 26, 2011 at 3:04 PM

Wrong. He must have made a mistake and eaten pie before that interview, but he is a cake man all the way. Just look at him; he’s going the distance. He’s going for speed. And that my friend is pure Cake.

4. heffmessina - Apr 26, 2011 at 12:43 PM

Denyin and pitchers arm tirin’! Woooo! Ruben better watch out or Cholly will put him in the figure four aces leg lock.

5. pisano - Apr 26, 2011 at 12:48 PM

Contreras has been inconsistent his entire career, that’s one reason the Yankees got rid of him. Like BC stated he’s probably closer to fifty than thirty. Charlie gets a free pass on this one.

6. Jonny 5 - Apr 26, 2011 at 2:05 PM

Charlie may have subscribed to my theory. As have quite a few of Phills fans I know. After watching every stinking game it was obvious the Jose pitched better when he was used frequently. As soon as he started to collect dust his ERA went up. I think Charlie just did what he thought to be the best for the team. And that isn’t always what’s best either, it’s an educated guess really. Jose will be back soon, no harm no foul.

I’ll tell you what, Charlie sounded like he was a flies a$$ hair away from layin’ a whoopin’ on someone. He ain’t skeert to whoop on no reporter, he ain’t. Ask Howard Eskin.

7. Gordon - Apr 26, 2011 at 2:48 PM

If he lost the hat, you couldn’t tell the difference between Manuel & Flair.

It would be awesome if he did the Nature Boy Strut next time he visits the mound.

• Utley's Hair - Apr 26, 2011 at 3:08 PM

Nope. He’s got the trademark lumber down to an art.

Oddly, though, I think he takes as long to get out there when he’s running as he does when he’s lumbering.

Do the Angels have any weaknesses?
  1. G. Stanton (3791)