Comment of the Day: Manny Ramirez was “La Tabla”

Apr 26, 2011, 2:08 PM EDT

Manny Ramirez Red Sox

In this morning’s Manny Ramirez post, I excerpted a passage from Sara Rimer’s New York Times story in which she described a one-handed, 400+ foot home run Ramirez allegedly hit while in high school.  It elicited a comment from a former high school teammate of Ramirez’s, vouching for the veracity of the story and adding an old nickname of Ramirez’ I had never heard before:

I could assure you this is true. I was there. I was part of that team. It happened in late April 1991 again Brandis HS (Jose “Kiki” Jimenez). Manny has never been a public persona. Although his way of playing the game made him and I don’t think he ever got around that. We used to called him the “La Tabla” the wood plank.

See, “La Tabla” would have been a really useful thing to know back when Ramirez was playing.

1. dcburden - Apr 26, 2011 at 3:16 PM

La Tabla siendo La Tabla?

2. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Apr 26, 2011 at 3:21 PM

What do they call pressure treated lumber in Spanish? You know, the wood planks they pump full of toxic chemicals to make them more useful?

• Panda Claus - Apr 26, 2011 at 3:28 PM

I regret that I only had one thumbs-up to give on this.

• wlschneider09 - Apr 26, 2011 at 3:35 PM

Here here

• stinkfingers - Apr 26, 2011 at 3:55 PM

Awesome. Just plain awesome. Props to you, sir.

3. myownother - Apr 30, 2011 at 11:11 PM

That is pretty amazing if he did hit that one handed. I wouldn’t be suprised if he did and that he didn’t show boat it either. That was pretty much his style for the most part even in the first majors during his first 10 years though he became more of a fun loving type later on in his career more than the quiet type he was before. He was often criticised as being too quiet which might have had something to do with the change. What a shame that he used steroids. He cheated fans from knowing what kind of natural talent he really had and tainted all of his accomplishments team and individual. If he lost it due to getting old, he should have just admitted that he didn’t have it anymore and walked off the field like Joe DImagio did when he realized he didn’t have it anymore. We don’t know how long he cheated though. I hope that he will have the decency to tell the whole truth about his steroid use for his own sake and become a better man for it.

Colby-on-Colby crime in Toronto