Apr 26, 2011, 2:08 PM EDT
In this morning’s Manny Ramirez post, I excerpted a passage from Sara Rimer’s New York Times story in which she described a one-handed, 400+ foot home run Ramirez allegedly hit while in high school. It elicited a comment from a former high school teammate of Ramirez’s, vouching for the veracity of the story and adding an old nickname of Ramirez’ I had never heard before:
I could assure you this is true. I was there. I was part of that team. It happened in late April 1991 again Brandis HS (Jose “Kiki” Jimenez). Manny has never been a public persona. Although his way of playing the game made him and I don’t think he ever got around that. We used to called him the “La Tabla” the wood plank.
See, “La Tabla” would have been a really useful thing to know back when Ramirez was playing.
- Orioles finally lose a game when leading after seven 0
- Joey Votto reaches base six times as Reds rout Phillies 9
- Troy Tulowitzki says he wasn’t accusing Madison Bumgarner of cheating 6
- Quote of the Day: Brian Cashman is keeping Ben Francisco around to “piss everybody off” 28
- Report: Mets considering demoting Ike Davis 5
- Oxbow ends Orb's Triple Crown hopes
- PBT: Pacers top Knicks, punch ticket to conf. finals
- PST: Teary Beckham likely plays final game
- PFT: Pre-draft fears about Gronk coming true
- MST: Carpenter wins pole for 97th Indianapolis 500
- CBT: Chance Coach K returns for '16 Games
- PHT: Couture strikes in OT, lifting Sharks in Game 3