Apr 26, 2011, 2:08 PM EDT
In this morning’s Manny Ramirez post, I excerpted a passage from Sara Rimer’s New York Times story in which she described a one-handed, 400+ foot home run Ramirez allegedly hit while in high school. It elicited a comment from a former high school teammate of Ramirez’s, vouching for the veracity of the story and adding an old nickname of Ramirez’ I had never heard before:
I could assure you this is true. I was there. I was part of that team. It happened in late April 1991 again Brandis HS (Jose “Kiki” Jimenez). Manny has never been a public persona. Although his way of playing the game made him and I don’t think he ever got around that. We used to called him the “La Tabla” the wood plank.
See, “La Tabla” would have been a really useful thing to know back when Ramirez was playing.
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 14
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 48
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 10
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17