Apr 26, 2011, 5:17 PM EDT
Evan Longoria has been out since straining his oblique muscle in the second game of the season, but Mark Topkin of the St. Petersburg Times reports that he’s scheduled to begin a brief minor-league rehab assignment Thursday.
Assuming he can avoid a setback while playing at Double-A, Longoria is aiming to come off the disabled list and rejoin the Rays’ lineup next Tuesday.
Tampa Bay has recovered nicely from a 1-8 start, going 10-3 against the Red Sox, Twins, White Sox, and Blue Jays despite Longoria’s fill-ins, Felipe Lopez and Sean Rodriguez, combining to hit just .208 starting in his place.
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 15
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 48
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 10
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17