Apr 26, 2011, 5:17 PM EDT
Evan Longoria has been out since straining his oblique muscle in the second game of the season, but Mark Topkin of the St. Petersburg Times reports that he’s scheduled to begin a brief minor-league rehab assignment Thursday.
Assuming he can avoid a setback while playing at Double-A, Longoria is aiming to come off the disabled list and rejoin the Rays’ lineup next Tuesday.
Tampa Bay has recovered nicely from a 1-8 start, going 10-3 against the Red Sox, Twins, White Sox, and Blue Jays despite Longoria’s fill-ins, Felipe Lopez and Sean Rodriguez, combining to hit just .208 starting in his place.
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 5
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 16
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- More drama in Miami: Marlins demote third base coach Brett Butler after “confusion” over signs 33
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves 70
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 67
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 7
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 7
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)