Apr 26, 2011, 9:11 AM EDT
Gabe Gross didn’t have the most memorable major league career — I think I wrote his name as “Greg Gross” approximately 75% of the time I had occasion to refer to him — but he managed to hang around for seven years in the majors. And as I mentioned in my review for “Time in the Minors” yesterday, I have a new reverence and respect for anyone who even makes the majors, even if they never excel.
Gross at his best had some moderately useful on-base skills, but never so good that it justified a full-time job. His best season came as a platoon guy with the Brewers in 2006 when he hit .274/.382/.476 in 252 plate appearances. He played for the Rays in the 2008 World Series too, which is more than most guys get to do.
He got a call from the Marlins two weeks ago. They were interested in signing him to a minor league deal. He agreed to do it on a Sunday, but the Marlins couldn’t get anyone to do his physical that day. Gross slept on it and changed his mind the next day, opting to retire.
If a good night’s sleep is the deal breaker, yeah, I suppose that means you’re ready to move on to new pursuits in life. Happy trails, Gabe.
- Giants rout Royals 11-4 in Game 4 to even up the World Series at 2-2 14
- Mike Trout, Giancarlo Stanton win the Hank Aaron Award 1
- World Series, Game 4: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Report: Rays owner Stuart Sternberg has discussed moving the team to Montreal 62
- Dave Dombrowski on Miguel Cabrera: “It’s worse than what we ever would have anticipated” 33
- World Series Reset: Can the Giants even things up? 4
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 36
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 4
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (143)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (107)