Apr 26, 2011, 9:11 AM EDT
Gabe Gross didn’t have the most memorable major league career — I think I wrote his name as “Greg Gross” approximately 75% of the time I had occasion to refer to him — but he managed to hang around for seven years in the majors. And as I mentioned in my review for “Time in the Minors” yesterday, I have a new reverence and respect for anyone who even makes the majors, even if they never excel.
Gross at his best had some moderately useful on-base skills, but never so good that it justified a full-time job. His best season came as a platoon guy with the Brewers in 2006 when he hit .274/.382/.476 in 252 plate appearances. He played for the Rays in the 2008 World Series too, which is more than most guys get to do.
He got a call from the Marlins two weeks ago. They were interested in signing him to a minor league deal. He agreed to do it on a Sunday, but the Marlins couldn’t get anyone to do his physical that day. Gross slept on it and changed his mind the next day, opting to retire.
If a good night’s sleep is the deal breaker, yeah, I suppose that means you’re ready to move on to new pursuits in life. Happy trails, Gabe.
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 0
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 10
- Who really owns a home run ball? 59
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 125
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 128
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week 122
- Dodgers left-hander Hyun-Jin Ryu to have season-ending shoulder surgery 8
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (128)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (125)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)