Apr 26, 2011, 9:11 AM EST
Gabe Gross didn’t have the most memorable major league career — I think I wrote his name as “Greg Gross” approximately 75% of the time I had occasion to refer to him — but he managed to hang around for seven years in the majors. And as I mentioned in my review for “Time in the Minors” yesterday, I have a new reverence and respect for anyone who even makes the majors, even if they never excel.
Gross at his best had some moderately useful on-base skills, but never so good that it justified a full-time job. His best season came as a platoon guy with the Brewers in 2006 when he hit .274/.382/.476 in 252 plate appearances. He played for the Rays in the 2008 World Series too, which is more than most guys get to do.
He got a call from the Marlins two weeks ago. They were interested in signing him to a minor league deal. He agreed to do it on a Sunday, but the Marlins couldn’t get anyone to do his physical that day. Gross slept on it and changed his mind the next day, opting to retire.
If a good night’s sleep is the deal breaker, yeah, I suppose that means you’re ready to move on to new pursuits in life. Happy trails, Gabe.
- MLB Players React to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 4
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 76
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)