Ian Desmond takes paternity leave from Nationals

Apr 26, 2011, 3:15 PM EDT

desmond infield

As expected, Ian Desmond has taken a paternity leave from the Nationals.

Mark Zuckerman of CSNWashington.com reports that outfielder Roger Bernadina has been called up from Triple-A to replace Desmond on the roster for what will likely be just a day or two.

Desmond joins Colby Lewis as the first players to take advantage of MLB’s new paternity leave roster exemption that allows players to be replaced for 1-3 days.

1. Utley's Hair - Apr 26, 2011 at 3:34 PM

Good for him. The first days are important for bonding—and could go a ways toward the mother’s recovery.

2. cur68 - Apr 26, 2011 at 3:43 PM

Roger’s back in the bigs! Wooooooo! Hope he tears it up and finally sticks to center field where he belongs for the Nats.

• Old Gator - Apr 26, 2011 at 9:11 PM

You know, I saw Ian Desmond play against the Feesh a couple weeks ago and he sure didn’t look pregnant to me. Then again, even if he had I wouldn’t have said anything. You know how that works:

“Gee, congratulations.”
      “On what?”
      “On the…uh… baby.”
      “I’m not pregnant.”
      “Oh.”

• cur68 - Apr 26, 2011 at 9:31 PM

This is why you and everyone else needs to join me in my bromance with Roger Bernadia. With his six pack you’d never make this mistake, I assure you. He is, you know, in the best shape of his life.

3. wurst2first - Apr 26, 2011 at 4:16 PM

I can’t wait until some random player pulls a Shawn Kemp and ends up going on the Paternity List like four times in a single season.

The team would obviously try to keep it quiet, but someone in the media would eventually put two and two together and be like, “Wait a minute, how many kids and/or families does Chris Burke HAVE?”

I’m a bad person.

• sknut - Apr 26, 2011 at 4:36 PM

If the player timed it right the paternity leaves could coincide with the road trips his team is on. Might make it easier for everyone around. But that would take some serious planning.

4. david7590 - Apr 26, 2011 at 5:50 PM

How will we ever survive without his .205 BA and his 7 errors?

• Utley's Hair - Apr 26, 2011 at 6:36 PM

Doesn’t he lead the team in tags with an empty glove, though?

Teams searching for trade deadline impact
  1. H. Street (3644)