Apr 26, 2011, 10:00 PM EST
According to Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com, Phillies general manager Ruben Amaro Jr. announced earlier tonight that Jose Contreras is expected to miss 3-4 weeks with a Grade 1 strain of his right elbow. The diagnosis was made following an MRI in Philadelphia earlier today.
“It’s a very mild strain,” Amaro said. “Obviously you never want to see someone go on the disabled list, but this is good news for us. It’s better than the alternative.”
Contreras will be shut down for seven to 10 days before beginning a throwing program.
The veteran right-hander was placed on the disabled list Sunday after complaining of soreness in his elbow following a 26-pitch appearance last Thursday against the Padres. It was his fifth outing in the span of seven days. Ryan Madson is expected to handle save chances in his absence.
- Blue Jays acquire Josh Donaldson in a trade with the Athletics 40
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 87
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 164
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (164)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)