Apr 26, 2011, 10:00 PM EDT
According to Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com, Phillies general manager Ruben Amaro Jr. announced earlier tonight that Jose Contreras is expected to miss 3-4 weeks with a Grade 1 strain of his right elbow. The diagnosis was made following an MRI in Philadelphia earlier today.
“It’s a very mild strain,” Amaro said. “Obviously you never want to see someone go on the disabled list, but this is good news for us. It’s better than the alternative.”
Contreras will be shut down for seven to 10 days before beginning a throwing program.
The veteran right-hander was placed on the disabled list Sunday after complaining of soreness in his elbow following a 26-pitch appearance last Thursday against the Padres. It was his fifth outing in the span of seven days. Ryan Madson is expected to handle save chances in his absence.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 64
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 50
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 58
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 146
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (146)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (101)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (90)