Apr 26, 2011, 10:00 PM EDT
According to Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com, Phillies general manager Ruben Amaro Jr. announced earlier tonight that Jose Contreras is expected to miss 3-4 weeks with a Grade 1 strain of his right elbow. The diagnosis was made following an MRI in Philadelphia earlier today.
“It’s a very mild strain,” Amaro said. “Obviously you never want to see someone go on the disabled list, but this is good news for us. It’s better than the alternative.”
Contreras will be shut down for seven to 10 days before beginning a throwing program.
The veteran right-hander was placed on the disabled list Sunday after complaining of soreness in his elbow following a 26-pitch appearance last Thursday against the Padres. It was his fifth outing in the span of seven days. Ryan Madson is expected to handle save chances in his absence.
- Brad Ausmus receives a vote of confidence from new Tigers general manager Al Avila 9
- Title or no title, Dave Dombrowski’s tenure in Detroit was a success 27
- Dave Dombrowski out as Tigers General Manager, team president; Al Avila takes over 59
- Blue Jays’ Aaron Sanchez, John Gibbons disciplined in the wake of Sunday’s plunkings 72
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 34
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 100
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” (109)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (88)