Apr 26, 2011, 10:00 PM EDT
According to Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com, Phillies general manager Ruben Amaro Jr. announced earlier tonight that Jose Contreras is expected to miss 3-4 weeks with a Grade 1 strain of his right elbow. The diagnosis was made following an MRI in Philadelphia earlier today.
“It’s a very mild strain,” Amaro said. “Obviously you never want to see someone go on the disabled list, but this is good news for us. It’s better than the alternative.”
Contreras will be shut down for seven to 10 days before beginning a throwing program.
The veteran right-hander was placed on the disabled list Sunday after complaining of soreness in his elbow following a 26-pitch appearance last Thursday against the Padres. It was his fifth outing in the span of seven days. Ryan Madson is expected to handle save chances in his absence.
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 74
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 83
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 60
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 53
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 20
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11