Apr 26, 2011, 12:00 PM EDT
I was almost ready to put one tentative foot on board The Common Man’s Mallparks-aren’t-so-bad-when-you-get-right-down-to-it bandwagon, but then I went and read David Fleming’s remembrance and revisiting of old Tiger Stadium which apparently coincided with a minor dust storm here in my den if my current eye irritation is any judge.
I’ll go this far: yes, it is way easier to take young kids to the mallparks. But easy ain’t everything. When I was a kid, the cigar-and-beer smells of Tiger Stadium made me acutely aware that I was in a grownup place. And I loved nothing more than being in what I thought were grownup places in those days.
But no matter which side you fall on — assuming you have to take a side; we do too much of that I think — both TCM’s and Fleming’s stories are good reads.
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 1
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 5
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 13
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 55
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 10
- Vin Scully says 2016 will be his last season of broadcasting 34
- Edwin Encarnacion slugs three home runs as Blue Jays thrash Tigers 18
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)