Apr 26, 2011, 12:00 PM EDT
I was almost ready to put one tentative foot on board The Common Man’s Mallparks-aren’t-so-bad-when-you-get-right-down-to-it bandwagon, but then I went and read David Fleming’s remembrance and revisiting of old Tiger Stadium which apparently coincided with a minor dust storm here in my den if my current eye irritation is any judge.
I’ll go this far: yes, it is way easier to take young kids to the mallparks. But easy ain’t everything. When I was a kid, the cigar-and-beer smells of Tiger Stadium made me acutely aware that I was in a grownup place. And I loved nothing more than being in what I thought were grownup places in those days.
But no matter which side you fall on — assuming you have to take a side; we do too much of that I think — both TCM’s and Fleming’s stories are good reads.
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 49
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 15
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 54
- Pete Rose will be allowed to participate in All-Star Game festivities 69
- Career over? Joe Nathan needs Tommy John surgery 31
- Contact and controversy in the ninth inning of last night’s Dodgers-Giants game 54
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)