Apr 26, 2011, 2:18 PM EST
I’m sure the Pirates will be mocked in some quarters for picking up other teams’ scraps and certainly neither waiver claim is going to be a franchise-defining move, but taking a no-risk flier on a former top prospect like Wood was a sound decision and the Dodgers never gave Paul the opportunity his minor-league production warranted.
Because the Dodgers never committed to him Paul has just 160 career plate appearances at age 26, but he’s also hit .320 with an .882 OPS in 203 games at Triple-A. His power is somewhat limited and playing half his games at Albuquerque in the Pacific Coast League mean those numbers need to be viewed through a very hitter-friendly filter, but at the very least Paul looks capable of being a solid left-handed bench bat or platoon starter with experience in all three outfield spots.
- Matt Harvey makes his return. And he was really impressive. 19
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 28
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 34
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 146
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (380)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (146)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)