Apr 26, 2011, 2:18 PM EDT
I’m sure the Pirates will be mocked in some quarters for picking up other teams’ scraps and certainly neither waiver claim is going to be a franchise-defining move, but taking a no-risk flier on a former top prospect like Wood was a sound decision and the Dodgers never gave Paul the opportunity his minor-league production warranted.
Because the Dodgers never committed to him Paul has just 160 career plate appearances at age 26, but he’s also hit .320 with an .882 OPS in 203 games at Triple-A. His power is somewhat limited and playing half his games at Albuquerque in the Pacific Coast League mean those numbers need to be viewed through a very hitter-friendly filter, but at the very least Paul looks capable of being a solid left-handed bench bat or platoon starter with experience in all three outfield spots.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 68
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 7
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (86)