Apr 26, 2011, 10:31 AM EST
Tim Brown of Yahoo! was the first one to get comments from Tom Schieffer following his appointment as the “Monitor” of the Dodgers’ organization. The former ambassador to Japan and Australia was asked about whether he’s up to the challenge of fixing the dysfunctional Dodgers:
“Oh, I’ve had some pretty difficult jobs before. Dealing with the North Koreans is generally a pretty tough day.”
I suppose it’s an open question as to whether the Dodgers’ kleptocracy or North Korea’s will be harder to fix.
One question that is also open, based on Schieffer’s comments, regards the future of Frank McCourt. I found this exchange pretty telling:
Asked if he believed the Dodgers could be restored with McCourt as the owner, Schieffer said he would not address particular issues.
“I’m not going to get into that,” he said. “We’ll see what happens as we go forward. I do hope my experience in management can help there.”
In other words, don’t print your business cards in bulk, Frank.
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical 125
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 21
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 216
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 25
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 77
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (219)
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)