Apr 26, 2011, 7:30 PM EDT
Ryan Zimmerman, who has been on the disabled list for the past two weeks with an abdominal strain, resumed some light baseball activities at Nats Park this afternoon.
According to Mark Zuckerman of CSNWashington.com, Zimmerman played catch from 60 feet, fielded some light grounders and jogged about 90 feet several times.
It’s good news, but he’s still at least a week away from rejoining the big club. Zimmerman hasn’t yet taken live batting practice and Nationals manager Jim Riggleman said he’ll need to go out on a brief minor league rehab assignment before being activated from the disabled list.
“I think he’ll find his timing at the plate relatively quick,” manager Jim Riggleman said before Tuesday’s game against the Mets. “But it’s the other parts of the game — all the game stuff that happens, the running, the diving, taking an extra base, sliding, quick movements — that we really want to make sure he doesn’t re-aggravate this injury.”
Zimmerman was batting .357 (10-for-28) with one home run and four RBI prior to the injury.
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 16
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 38
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 20
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 99
- Steven Matz stellar on the mound — and at the plate — in his major league debut for the Mets 19
- The 2015 Gillette Home Run Derby will have a new format 35
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (108)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (79)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)