Apr 26, 2011, 7:30 PM EDT
Ryan Zimmerman, who has been on the disabled list for the past two weeks with an abdominal strain, resumed some light baseball activities at Nats Park this afternoon.
According to Mark Zuckerman of CSNWashington.com, Zimmerman played catch from 60 feet, fielded some light grounders and jogged about 90 feet several times.
It’s good news, but he’s still at least a week away from rejoining the big club. Zimmerman hasn’t yet taken live batting practice and Nationals manager Jim Riggleman said he’ll need to go out on a brief minor league rehab assignment before being activated from the disabled list.
“I think he’ll find his timing at the plate relatively quick,” manager Jim Riggleman said before Tuesday’s game against the Mets. “But it’s the other parts of the game — all the game stuff that happens, the running, the diving, taking an extra base, sliding, quick movements — that we really want to make sure he doesn’t re-aggravate this injury.”
Zimmerman was batting .357 (10-for-28) with one home run and four RBI prior to the injury.
- How’d he do that? Magician Maddux fooled hitters all the way to Hall 6
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 46
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 35
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 14
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 193
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 22
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 35
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (193)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)