Apr 26, 2011, 7:30 PM EDT
Ryan Zimmerman, who has been on the disabled list for the past two weeks with an abdominal strain, resumed some light baseball activities at Nats Park this afternoon.
According to Mark Zuckerman of CSNWashington.com, Zimmerman played catch from 60 feet, fielded some light grounders and jogged about 90 feet several times.
It’s good news, but he’s still at least a week away from rejoining the big club. Zimmerman hasn’t yet taken live batting practice and Nationals manager Jim Riggleman said he’ll need to go out on a brief minor league rehab assignment before being activated from the disabled list.
“I think he’ll find his timing at the plate relatively quick,” manager Jim Riggleman said before Tuesday’s game against the Mets. “But it’s the other parts of the game — all the game stuff that happens, the running, the diving, taking an extra base, sliding, quick movements — that we really want to make sure he doesn’t re-aggravate this injury.”
Zimmerman was batting .357 (10-for-28) with one home run and four RBI prior to the injury.
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 141
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 66
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 36
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 65
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 28
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 19
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (156)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)