Apr 26, 2011, 7:30 PM EDT
Ryan Zimmerman, who has been on the disabled list for the past two weeks with an abdominal strain, resumed some light baseball activities at Nats Park this afternoon.
According to Mark Zuckerman of CSNWashington.com, Zimmerman played catch from 60 feet, fielded some light grounders and jogged about 90 feet several times.
It’s good news, but he’s still at least a week away from rejoining the big club. Zimmerman hasn’t yet taken live batting practice and Nationals manager Jim Riggleman said he’ll need to go out on a brief minor league rehab assignment before being activated from the disabled list.
“I think he’ll find his timing at the plate relatively quick,” manager Jim Riggleman said before Tuesday’s game against the Mets. “But it’s the other parts of the game — all the game stuff that happens, the running, the diving, taking an extra base, sliding, quick movements — that we really want to make sure he doesn’t re-aggravate this injury.”
Zimmerman was batting .357 (10-for-28) with one home run and four RBI prior to the injury.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 22
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (85)