So, how many people were at the Pirates-Nationals game last night?

Apr 26, 2011, 1:00 PM EDT

Nationals Pirates Baseball

It’s understandable that there weren’t a lot of people at PNC Park to watch the Pirates-Nats game yesterday, what with the bad weather and the fact that the game was itself a makeup game.┬áBut the sheer emptiness of the place allowed for something awesome to happen: it allowed Sam Miller of the OC Register to actually count the number of people in the ballpark from the comfort of his California home.

You can see his methodology in his step-by-step screencap-aided explanation of it all.

I approve of the use of high definition television technology for such purposes.

1. yankeesfanlen - Apr 26, 2011 at 1:39 PM

Hey, I think I’ve found them!

They’ve been there 18 years or so.

2. steve keane - Apr 26, 2011 at 1:52 PM

I watched part of this game while flipping around MLB Extra Innings. It reminded me of when I was a kid, the custodian of the school I went to lived on my block. He would open the school for us to play basketball in the gym at night with the strict instruction “don’t pull no fire alarms and shut all the lights when you leave”

3. shanemcdowell - Apr 26, 2011 at 2:24 PM

This fascinates me. With 1,100 fans there, did the ushers still require people to sit in the section printed on their ticket? If not, why did some people move to behind the plate while others were content to hang out in the upper deck?

I think it would be interesting to let a few thousand people into a ballpark, say “Sit where you want,” and then see what kind of distribution you get. You’d get a bunch of motivations at play – some people would probably want to sit as close to home plate as possible because when else would you get that chance, but maybe someone else would pick prime foul ball territory for that chance to finally go home with a baseball.

4. 24may98 - Apr 26, 2011 at 3:31 PM

When I was a boy in the early 1950’s – ’51 or ’52, I attended an afternoon weekday game at Griffith Stadium between the Philadelphia Athletics and the Washington Senators. The attendance was 36. THIRTY-SIX! One could hear every word on the field, and after the game my pal and I ran the bases – since any “security” had left.

5. mgflolox - Apr 26, 2011 at 8:31 PM

Good to see that publicly financed stadium is helping the Pirates draw more fans and be competitive. I guess it would be like if you have the most beautiful, elegantly appointed restaurant in town – if you serve up shitty food, people still ain’t gonna swallow it.

1. H. Pence (2147)